The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
14,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thirty-six captive deer from a quarantined breeding farm and hunting preserve in Fulton County have tested positive for CWD.

Two additional deer from a quarantined Bedford County hunting preserve also tested positive.

The 36 white-tailed deer were from a herd euthanized on September 24, 2018, after the Fulton County farm applied for and received federal indemnity for their losses. None of the deer tested showed signs of CWD prior to their deaths.

The department’s Pennsylvania Veterinary Laboratory in Harrisburg tested the deer, as required by the department’s CWD program. Positive test results were confirmed at the National Veterinary Services Laboratories in Ames, Iowa.

Both farms will remain under quarantine for five years from the date the positive tests were confirmed.

CWD attacks the brain of infected deer, elk, and moose, producing small lesions that eventually result in death. Animals can get the disease through direct contact with saliva, feces, and urine from an infected animal or contaminated environment. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there have been no reported cases of CWD infection in people.

Clinical signs include weight loss, excessive salivation, increased drinking and urination, and abnormal behavior like stumbling, trembling, and depression. Infected deer and elk may also allow unusually close approach by humans or natural predators. The disease is fatal, and there is no known treatment or vaccine.

The infectious agent, known as a prion, tends to concentrate in the brain, spinal column, eyes, spleen, and lymph nodes. To prevent disease spread, these high-risk parts must be properly handled and disposed of where the animal is killed. Parts such as deboned meat, clean skull caps and capes present little risk and may be taken home.

The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture coordinates a mandatory surveillance program for the disease for 896 breeding farms, hobby farms, and hunting preserves across the state. Since 1998, accredited veterinarians and certified CWD technicians have tested more than 35,000 captive deer in Pennsylvania. The Pennsylvania Game Commission collects samples from hunter-harvested deer, elk, and wild deer that appear sick or behave abnormally.

38 Deer Test Positive for Chronic Wasting Disease on Pennsylvania Deer Farms :: exploreClarion.com

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
The genie is out of the bottle. CWD is here to stay. Shutting the operations down might slow it a bit, but it is inevitable now.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
its here to stay but we can slow it down or contain it. these farms have been proven to be a major source of CWD and one of the main reasons it is spreading. shut them down.

heck, they closed commercial fishing in PA they can close the deer farms. if they dont want to close them, force them to double fence as a barrier to the wild deer and any deer taken there has to be processed there. treat all deer farms as a CWD area. no transfer of deer to other regions.

·
Banned
138 Posts
Farmers say Not their Fault

It is past time to shut these operations down and kill all the deer in them and burn them in a it with napalm.

Here's some clips from an article Jan2018. FYI Everyone knows where it started here in PA, Robert Koontz won't admit it.:sad:

“It’s an alarming rate as far as the state deer herd,” said Robert Koontz of Whitetail Refuge LLC in Guilford Township. “It’s not the deer farms that have the problem. It’s the Game Commission and the state of Pennsylvania."
His deer farm is under quarantine after four captive deer there tested positive for CWD. Deer farmers are required to test all animals that die.

Koontz said he suspects that the game commission’s action in Guilford Township is a ploy to show hunters that the commission is trying to do something about CWD.
"People tried to fix it for years. It has to run its course," Koontz said. "I’ll tell you what CWD stands for: Commission Wasting Dollars."

https://www.publicopiniononline.com/story/news/2018/01/29/deer-hunters-deer-farmers-question-shooting-30-deer/1076587001/

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
The time for shutting down deer farms was probably fifteen or twenty years ago. If not closed, then no transfer of deer alive or dead from any deer farm. We have a bigger problem now and that is wild free ranging deer, that travel where they please, and have CWD. The time for slowing it down has passed, hopefully states that do not have it, and do not have it on their door step, will ban the deer farms, or at least deer movement from farm to farm. With out deer farms it would have taken a while to cross the Mississippi river, but it did, and it was in the back of a trailor hauling deer.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
First time we agreed on something. I still want them all shut down, they need to be punished for unleashing the disease in PA which they did. Those deer did not swim across the Mississippi.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
It is past time to shut these operations down and kill all the deer in them and burn them in a it with napalm.
WW, the napalm might be a bit.........excessive. :grin2:

·
Registered
2,561 Posts
What happens to the carcases that test positive? Incinerated, buried, put out for the predators to eat or what? Poor disposal could result in prions being spread.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Since the worthless dept of ag is now in charge of that I recommend you asked them. If it were up to me, they would have to be put in a pit at least 10 feet deep, then incinerated and the pit filled in.

Reactions: bohunr

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
selling deer from state to state should be considered trafficking in wildlife. amending the lacey act could fix this. I think its time we pushed for this. if we used reverse psychology we could get the USHS to tackle the problem and foot the bill. just tell them captive deer herds are coming down with CWD and being euthanized by the thousands.

deer were meant to be free, they were born free, they are not cattle, they are not needed to be raised in captivity.

might work.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've read a lot on the internet about CWD in various states and that has given me some information. I'm always curious as to how they know that the disease won't be passed to humans through consumption, etc. over time. I've read that the incubation period for prion based disease is up to 40 years. Theoretically, if a youngster eats or handles an infected deer might they not have a ticking time bomb in their system? Would departments of health, Game commissions, etc. around the country spend a lot of resources and time looking into this knowing the negative effects and the dollars involved? Anybody ever ask these questions?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
there is some speculation that the increase in dementia might be tied to CWD especially among hunters. a squirrel hunter in NY died after eating Squirrel brains from a squirrel that had CWD. deer are not the only animals that can carry CWD.

the CWD prion can go from the soil to inside plants, which means crops. the CDC says not to eat the meat from any animal especially deer infected with CWD. since the amount of heat required to kill the prion would actually require incineration means that if it ever transfers to humans, the food we cook will not be done enough to kill it.

knowing that, i think if the CDC ever did have irrefutable evidence that CWD is transferrable to humans, they would not tell us for fear of causing a panic. maybe thats why they are just saying DO NOT EAT IT. maybe it is and they are not saying.

mad coe made the jump and is known as CJD maybe CWD made the jump and is also showing up as a CJD variant. i know that when hospitals diagnose a patient with CJD instruments are destroyed instead of being "sterilized" in the autoclave because it doesnt kill the prion.

this is the greatest threat to the food chain in modern history. when CWD makes the jump, whats left ?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
wingshot, no one knows that CWD will not be passed on to humans because prion diseases have a nasty habit of mutating. I believe there is a better than even chance that it will one day mutate to include human beings just like mad cow disease did. That is why they are saying if your meat is tested and is positive, that you don't eat it. That is the scary part of this disease. The fact that transporting deer from farm to farm and state to state is still allowed is an outrage. They should all be put out of business. They should not be allowed to make money while harming our wildlife nation wide. As hunters, we should all demand that fervid farms be banned to protect not only humans but our deer and elk nation wide.

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
CWD has already been passed to a human. The human variation is called Jakob-Creutzfeld disease. I believe the guy was from Kansas or thereabouts and went hunting in Colorado. He got a deer, contracted the J-C disease and passed away. I don't believe it was from eating the meat. Rather, I believe he had a cut on a finger and it got contaminated with blood from the deer.
I do not currently have a link to that article, but remember reading it a few years ago.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I believe that is the same disease that people can get from eating squirrel brains. CWD, JC and mad cow are all prion diseases in the same family.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts