The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on my first elk hunt in October 2011 and would like to get something more suitable for hunting in the Rockies other than my Marlin .35. does anyone have any experience with the Ruger .375 or any of the ruger compact magnums? Thanks

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Not much different than the WSM's or the SAUM's..the difference isn't worth talking about. TAKE lots of ammo, at least two boxes because I don't think your going to walk into many mon and pop sporting goods store and but it off the shelf should you need it..the .375 will get the job done and done quickly, lots of power, not sure if and why you'd need that much but it will work...You'd be better served with an off the shelf .338 or 300 win mag to be honest about it...

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I would never buy the .375 Ruger when the .375 H&H has been around since 1912 and ammo is available worldwide. If you can't kill it with the .375 H&H then that's your fault. A couple hundred fps isn't going to change anything.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
It's hard to find a 375 H&H in a garden variety priced rifle these days..For some strange reason, when they have to chamber a rifle in a large classic cartridge, the price magically rises substantially.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
In the world today, ANY mom and pop store could have a box or two of ANY ammo in hand by the next day. In fact so could the hunter by ordering it online with his phone and having it delivered next day to the outfitter.
If you have an urge for a .375 Ruger get one. You could ship ammo to the outfitter weeks before your hunt in addition to what you will be taking along. If your bags and ammo don't make the trip at least some ammo will already be at camp, but it is gonna be tough hunting in street clothes with all your hunting clothes missing too!!

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I agree with BIG OLE KEN...if your feelin' the need for big bores and big bullets get yourself a 375 H&H, it has with stood the test of time and is vary common in the areas where big game is going to be found, it needs no one to speak for it, alot of these new fangled cartridges are fly by night, here today and a distant memeory tomorrow, how many have we seen over the last five years!! As far as performance goes, other than the physical size of the cartridge to fit into smaller actions what have we truely gained over the old standbys, NOTHING for the most part to be honest about it, there's no substitute for one well placed shot with a good old fashion Nosler partition...as far as RCM's loaded ammo, you'd be hard pressed to find any outside of the typical Gander mts and Cabela's..I'll look around at some small ones in my area and I'll let you know how many have it..I'm betting none and I'll also bet the owners never even heard of it!!

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
If I had the money for the factory ammo or reloaded I wouldn't even think twice before buying one if I wanted it. Now, is this going to be a once in a lifetime hunt or something that comes along regularly? Chances are good it won't get shot much. Not like you will be taking it to a praire dog town.

I hunted deer once with a guy that hunted with a 375 H&H. Why? Because he had one he bought to take to Africa. Went once, and he openly admits he could have got by on that hunt with his trusty `06, but has desires to go back for dangerous game.

My biggest concern with a gun like that is shear weight. Didn't look at any specs in guns chambered for that cartridge, but most I would think to be heavy. If you are not going hunting where there won't be the 5 mile backcountry hike it shouldn't be a problem.

For what's it's worth though I have some family that lives in Idaho, and most hunt elk with a 30-06. My cousin got a 300 win mag, but admits it hasn't helped him bag anymore elk. He just wanted a new gun to replace his ole trusty 740 he took there from Vermont.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
hunt/fish365 said:
My biggest concern with a gun like that is shear weight.
To be honest H/F, my Model 700 classic in 375 H&H doesn't weigh any more than say, a 7mm magnum in the same gun...Kicks more though ...I shot a couple of doe with it and it doesn't put any larger hole in them than a 30-06, but it does lift them up off of the ground and flip them around sometimes.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
The guy I hunted with had a M70 winchester, and it weighed a bit more than my 7mm mag in the same model. Not sure why. He did say he shot a few doe with his as well with the same performance you describe. The recoil is still less than a 12 gauge slug gun.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Go to a gun shop that has hundreds of guns and find a lightweight 30 or 35 caliber rifle.The 375 Ruger is going to cost you at least a grand and weigh like a rock after a short uphill climb.If you want a 375 Ruger get one for PA stand hunting bear but it will cause you a heart attack in the Rockies.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
tdf said:
toiler, alot of the country you can hunt out west is SO THICK you would not believe it.

Idaho is incredibly thick. Almost a jungle. Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah are rather open.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The 375 is a good cartridge, and if you think you like it...you will like it. Certainly the 338 win mag and the 35 Whelen are also good. The ammo thing is a gun writers plea. Take two boxes as some one said, and you can alos get it next day (as some one said) anywhere in the world.

The design reason for the 375 ruger was to get it into a '06 length action, so it will not weigh anything significantly heavier than a '06 or a 338.

go for it tolier..you have a year till that big hunt so get it soon (NOW) and practice with it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
As I said...all of them will kill everything with just one shot, but so will my truck if I run one over!! There's nothing wrong with a .375 Ruger, BUT why buy something you may not need or use again...the .375 will kill anything on this planet and more than likely most aliens also..but maybe you could kill them just as dead with something you might use again..a standard .300 win mag will kill just as good, and you can use it for deer, bear, groundhog's or target shooting at a fraction of the cost..I wonder how many of use are going to buy $75-$100 dollar boxes of shells..even reloading would be costly for .375 caliber bullets and the choices would be limited, not much practice at those costs fer sure..weight, I have a matched set of Browing SS...the .338 weights less than the 7mmRM, the hole in the same thickness of barrel causes it to be lighter!! Everyone can buy what they want, true, but just think before you lay that hard earned cash out these days..

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
My first Elk hunt is certain to happen in the next couple years. When it does I'll take something along the lines of a .270, .280, .30-06. I haven't seen the animal yet that I need a magnum to kill. When I do see him I'll be standing in Africa.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Moose remember the 270s have been know to bounce of the hide of deer and elk. It is adequate for Pennsylvania mountain lion but NOT the big Montana cats. lol

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to hunt Elk with a .270 Winchester. I just wouldn't tell Big Ken that either. I see a real advantage in the 270 over the 30-06 out west.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Except for elk, I agree. The 270 is a good western plains gun. Maybe the 25-06 or the 257 Weatherby might be better. Actually, thinking about recoil and long ranges, the 257 robert would also be in that group

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
6-DASHER said:
a standard .300 win mag will kill just as good, and you can use it for deer, bear, groundhog's or target shooting at a fraction of the cost..I wonder how many of use are going to buy $75-$100 dollar boxes of shells..even reloading would be costly for .375 caliber bullets and the choices would be limited, not much practice at those costs fer sure
Bullet weights( handloading )for the .375 range from 210gr Barnes X to 350gr Barnes TSX and LOTS of weights in between from various other manufacturers. One of my favorite bullets is the Speer 235gr SP. It shoots as flat as the 180gr '06 and does not ruin meat on deer sized animals. Recoil is not at all bad with that bullet and while grossly over-gunned, I'd take a whack at groundhogs with it just for practice.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Heres some pics of a Win Classic SM in .375H&H. I included some of the different ammo I have loaded to show how versatile it can be. 210Gr Barnes X bullets, 235gr Speer SP's, 270gr Barnes X, 270gr Hornady SP's 285gr Speer Grand Slams and 300gr Nosler Partitions.
The gun is less weight than a typical heavy barreled varmint gun.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts