The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at them and I've been curious as to how they perform. I know it's a pretty big gun but I would like to hear from people how well one shot and if they have ever used one on game.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Well, you gotta have a need for that kind of power, planning a brown bear hunt, a trip to the dark continent??? The cost of bullets, powder and cases for the 375 ruger assure that's it's not for plinking. I wonder what will even be available in the future to load it...I'd stick with the H&H also, when it becomes in short supply the .375 ruger will be a distant memory for most.

·
Registered
12,352 Posts
The .375HH is a great whitetail round believe it or not. No meat damage, just a 3/8" hole in both sides and they fall over.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have the ruger, I like the ruger alaskan rifle platform and from everything I read the 375 ruger isn't going away anytime soon. Mine is quite accurate. My only use for it would be on black bear unless I become 10-15 years younger and hit the lottery then it will go to alaska. I have not shot any game with it as I have it less than a year. I'm just a rifle fan, what's need got to do with it???. Life is too short for practicality where guns are concerned. Recoil? The ruger is a heavy gun, a lot depends on the weight and stock, recoil pad, etc. It is not a gun you want to shoot a bunch of rounds from the bench, nor is any other big bore. I shoot my other guns enough that when I get behind the 375 I can put 5 rounds where I want them, end of story. My take is if you can shoot a 12 gauge you can shoot a 375. The h&h I shot a few years back kicked more, but it was a lighter gun. I say go for the ruger!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies guys. You've been helpful, I think I'm gonna stick with my gut and save up for the ruger instead of the h&h. You can get a much more affordable gun in the ruger and I would be hand loading. So ammunition wouldn't be a headache for me.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
If you are going to hanload, you MAY want to reconsider.

Any H&H is a simple re-ream away from a .375 Weatherby.........which puts you you in a WHOLE other realm. The neat thing is that you can shoot H&H ammo out of it at a slightly reduced velocity and when you work the bolt......... you have a Weatherby empty !!!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
P.S. I can hook you up with my smith who just happens to have a Weatherby reamer just waiting to go !!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have one. Like it a lot. It's the Ruger Alaskan platform. Have killed hogs(Georgia) Cape Buffalo, Kudu, Blue Wildebeest, Warthog, Duiker and Gemsbok (not in Georgia) Don't handload, but shot the Hornady 270gr. or the Hornady 300 gr. DGX for all above. Rifle shoots well, carries easy and performs well. Buffalo shot at 20 yards, went 20 yards and died. Insurance shot applied. Did not have excessive tissue damage on 40 lb. Duiker, but I didn't need the insurance shot on that one.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Davy Crockett said:
.... I'm just a rifle fan, what's need got to do with it???. Life is too short for practicality where guns are concerned. .............
I beleive the technical term for you affliction is Rifle Loony. They make cool hats for you guys so you can broadcast your identity :

Rifle Loony hats

Remember, half the battle with an addiction is recognizing you have a problem.

I have to admit to suffering from the same malady, both with rifles and revolvers.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Thanks Pete, but I'm trying to stay under the radar so I can continue with my addiction...... I mean habits. Rifles? What rifles? No problem here.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
When need dictates a firearms purchase it is time to seek professional help and counseling.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have one. It's a great round, especially if you reload. It's my go to bear and deer gun nowadays. I load it with 260 gr. accu-bonds at H&H velocities for bear and 220 gr. hornadys down near 30-06 velocities for deer. I really doubt 375 Ruger is going anywhere anytime soon, it has a fast growing following. Mine is a Alaskan left-hand gray laminate with a stainless barrel. I'm not a fan of the looks on that new guide gun though...

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys it's been a long year of counting pennies and saving but I finally bought my gun. I plan on shooting it tomorrow and I'll update with results on the range.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Well if you gotta have !! Git' it !! Lots of power, alittle expensive to plink with but if your going to big game hunt in the future, a great choice... Buy lots of empty casings, never hurts to plan ahead in case it doesn't stand the test of time.I bought a .338 wm just in case 30 yes ago, it gets out once a year in bear season.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well I got to take it to the range today. First thing I want to say is the recoil was a pleasant surprise, especially considering how light this gun is. I grouped the first 2 within a inch of each other but they were about 5 inches low. Made my adjustments and bullseye. I'm shooting the 250 gr. Hornady gmx and plan on trying them out on a doe next Saturday. I'll keep you updated on the deer results.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts