The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So tomorrow I am picking up a 36 caliber flintlock and need help figuring out a load. I have shot a 50 cal for the last 5 years but mostly just in season. We use sabots so I am not sure about the patch and ball combo either.

Here is what I am thinking, 35 grains of 3f and a .350" roundball. Would I use a .010" patch or a .015" patch?

Thanks for any help

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
My .36 cal. likes 30 grains of 3F and .015 patch.

This is the really fun part of flintlocks. Sittin' at the range with a can of powder, a good adjustable measure, plenty of round balls, different thicknesses of patching material, and all the time in the world to punch holes and ponder! It doesn't get any better than that!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
16,450 Posts
This is the really fun part of flintlocks. Sittin' at the range with a can of powder, a good adjustable measure, plenty of round balls, different thicknesses of patching material, and all the time in the world to punch holes and ponder! It doesn't get any better than that!
I've got every one of those ingredients mentioned,,, cept for that "all the time in the world" thingy.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
35 grains with a 36 is pretty much going the speed of sound or better even in a 28 inch barrel.

The best load for your gun depends on the twist and shape of rifling. Many barrel makers use a faster twist in small bores. With a slow twist like 1:72, a higher load would be more desirable to keep the ball spinning. In a faster twist, like 1:48, a lower charge will spin the ball just fine. Most pistol barrel makers would put a 1:22 twist in a 36 cal pistol and the ball will spin fine with a puny charge.

Frankly, I like shooting, but not enough to waste my time, shot and powder experimenting with with hot loads in a fast twist barrel,

If the barrel is a faster twist like 1:48, 35 grains of 3f or even 2f powder is probably too hot. Something closer to 20 grains would likely prove more accurate.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Just an FYI my 36 with a 1-48 twist shot 38 gr 3f .350 ball 18th patch the most accurate. The lower powder charges were all purty accurate @ 25 yards. But when I moved to the 50 yard line the 35 and then the 38grain charge that i setteled on proved to be the best out of my rifle. 5 Shot 1.5 inch groups @ 50 yards.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts