The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 36 cal Percussion composite Squirrel gun a long time ago... I tried to shoot it once with Pyrodex and the thing wouldn't fire for me... I brought it home, soaked the barrel, and pulled the ball... I have yet to shoot it yet with regular black powder but I will get around to it someday...Do they now make any sabots for these 36 caliber guns now? At the time it was all round ball that all they had for you to use.. I think the gun is a CVA and was not expensive at all.. They were also selling one equal to the 36 Cal in 50 cal for deer hunters too.. Probably the first time they ever came out with a composite or plastic stock for percussion rifles...
Anyone use a 36 cal for small game???I just did a inquiry it was a CVA Bobcat 36 cal.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
don't know about sabots, but the 36 at black powder speeds, a sabot doesn't offer much benefit. Maxi Ball molds were available, don't know if they still are. Nothing wrong with a 36 round ball for small game and wood chucks.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I believe they made a sabot for the 36 caliber rifle. But I have neveer seen one. But it would be nice.

I shoot PRB's out of mine. But I also have a bullet mold for a conical for my 36 caliber rifle. I have not hunted any deer with that conical(yet). But I would have no problem taking it deer hunting for shots out to 50 yards with a 50 grain charge of 3F BP and one of those conicals that I cast for it. I think it would be very effective to 50 yards. Heck that conical weighs more than a 50 caliber roundball, and 50 grains of 3F is a fairly good load of powder for shots to 50 yards. And pure lead would expand very well. I would in no way feel undergunned.

My 36 caliber is a custom made Southern Mountain Rifle (or Poor Boy). In a left hand percussion with walnut. Tom.

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
That is a fine lookin' rifle, Hogghead!
What length barrel does it have? And, it's reassuring to see fine rifles with their locks on the correct side!

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What would cause the Pyrodex not go off in the percussion rifle? This is the only percussion rifle I own so just not familar with them.
Nice to know that the 36 caliber would be OK for chucks.. Now that would be something to do.. Shoot chucks with a black powder rifle. Again not messing with the pyrodex anymore in this 36 Cal. Going to use only the regular Black powder..
Thanks for all the comments todate.. I appreciate it..

·
Registered
889 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
That is a fine lookin' rifle, Hogghead!
What length barrel does it have? And, it's reassuring to see fine rifles with their locks on the correct side!

I never meaasured the barrel. I would guess it is somewhere between 38" to 42". I bought the rifle used a few years back from a fellow by the name of Jim Chambers. I don't know if you have heard of him, but he has an impeccable reputation. He said the rifle was GTG, so that was all I needed to hear. And he was right. I can consistently hit my 2-1/2" gong at 50 yards off handed about every shot with this rifle. It is a shooter. Tom.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Pyrodex is harder to ignite then black powder..Convert the gun to musket caps or 209 primers then it will fire more regularly..

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
Uncle Buck, if you have a CVA Squirrel rifle built on the bobcat stock and lock, it has a drum and nipple system that creates a rather convoluted flash channel. The flame from the cap goes down the nipple and makes a right turn through the hollow drum and into a small chamber at the back of the breech plug. That's a space of almost 3/4 inch until it gets to the main charge. If there is any fouling or blockage in that flash channel, there is even more chance of misfires. This shows a cutaway of the CVA percussion breech system

It is necessary to keep this channel as open as possible. AND to get the powder as far down the flash channel as possible to ensure ignition. For instance, after dumping the powder down the bore, give the gun a couple smacks on the side with your hand to help settle powder into the flash channel.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zimmerstutzen Thank you for the info on how the CVA Bobcat. I will make sure I will do all you said above.. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I have a 36 cal TC Seneca.Its a great shooter.I have always felt it was TOO MUCH for squirrels.Its a better turkey,yote,fox,etc gun.Some in other states have used the 36cal with success on Elk years back.
My favorite squirrel muzzy is the 32 cal with 20grs of FFFg.
The round ball in the 36 is PLENTY medicine for squirrels!

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
410-er, are you suggesting that NOW I need to build a .32 cal. for limb bacon? If I tell Mrs. Berks that I need 100 more hours in the garage to build YET another flintlock, I fear I'll find fixing evening meals will be the lonely one potato, one pork chop, and half a can of corn business I've heard about!

I think I'll continue to use my .36, but I'll aim more toward the tree rat's nose.

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
Ah come on Berks, you make it sound as if that 36 squirrel rifle is too accurate and powerful for squirrel. So take the next logical step and create a challenge for yourself. Build a 32 cal flint pistol for squirrel.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Do what I do.Bring them home(gun),put it on the table and say "Look what I got!".

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't think the 36 caliber is too much for squirrel. Only because you can regulate your loads very easily with Black powder. Heck a 50 caliber is not too much for squirrels if you shoot a 20 or 25 grain load(or even 30) in your 50 caliber.

I have a custom 50 caliber coming and when I receive the rifle I am going to work up a squirrel load for it and sell my custom 36 caliber-only because I only want one rifle for alll my hunting.

Heck I shoot squirrels and grouse with a 3.0 and 4.0 grain load of Red Dot in my 45-70 single shot rifles. And a 405 grain bullet. No meat damage what so ever with that load. Just a hole in, and a hole out. And you can eat right up to the hole. I will be able to do the same thing with my new 50 caliber. Tom.

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
Not in Pennsylvania. Muzzleloaders must be 40 cal. or less.

Not aware of West Virginia's regulations on this issue.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
In the southern states you can hunt squirrels with a 32 muzzy and if a deer walks up and you got a tag,you can (and guys do with the 32) kill it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts