The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys using for brass in your .357's? Looking to buy some new stuff shortly and was wondering what brass you guys have had luck with.

I was using some Remington for the last few years but it didn't hold up like I expected.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I justed loading for mine, and have loaded a couple different kinds. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference between them to me.

I have loaded thousands of 44 mag and 9mm in the past, and couldn't tell the difference between any of them without looking at the headstamps.

I have always been able to get plenty of reloads out of any straight walled pistal cartridge. More than I will admit on here.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'am with hunt/fish365 on this I haven't seen any difference in Win.,Rem, Fed, or Starline and some of mine have been loaded a lot of times

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys notice a difference between brass and the thickness?

I heard starline is good pistol brass....

Thanks for the input fellas

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Never used starline brass. As far as thickness goes I never measured any.

I used to keep all headstamps seperated, but don't even bother with that anymore. Most of mine are for casual shooting at the range for fun. I get a little more serious with hunting loads.

Right now I'm about 3/4 of the way done sizing a bag of 1000 38 special cases that I bought as once fired. All different headstamps. I will say that there are a few in there that have been fired multible times. After handling over 700 rounds and looking at the primer pockets I will say that a few out of the hundreds of PMC cases a primer flash hole will be a bit off center.

I'm not real concerened with it. They will be getting loaded with 155 grain linotype cast SWC. I figure ir will cost me less than $75 to load a 1000 rounds, and that includes the cost of the cases. The powder and lead I got for free.

It will soon be time to hit the range.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, I wouldn't be too concerned with the pistol brass... I would like to try and keep all the same headstamp if I could.

A cop I know travels around to different conventions and hits a shooting range or two where the cops put all their spent brass into a bin. He gets alot of 40 S&W, 45, and .357. Although he doesn't have a 357 and asked me if I wanted it the next time he goes down.

I told him to grab it...

He said alot of it's remington and winchester he finds...

·
Registered
893 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
Do you guys notice a difference between brass and the thickness?

I heard starline is good pistol brass....

Thanks for the input fellas
Long time back I bought 1000rds of starline for the 357. I had a few handfulls of it split lengthwise about the mid section of the case when I was resizing it for the 2nd time.
""Meaning I had already fired it once""
And upon the 3rd firing even more split.
Bad batch??????
I called starline about this , they offered no explanation but they did send me a few handfuls of replacement brass.
This was 6 maybe 7 yrs ago.
I like Rem brass to be honest.
Win brass has giving me troubles before mainly in 357 and 35 rem with the primer pocket not being exactly right and extremely tight.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I would use it. Like I said before, I get a little more serious with hunting loads. I use all the same brass with quality bullets, and weigh every charge when I hunt. I figure I should get plenty of practice shooting my gun before next hunting season.

Free brass is better than free beer. You get to re-use brass.

·
Registered
605 Posts
i bought 300 rounds of Win when I first bought my revolver. That brass has been loaded up to 9 times and I have not lost a piece through wear yet.
I have heard great things about Starline, I might try it if I need new brass, but unless I start shooting more .357, that should not be for a few years.

Will

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have him grab me whatever he can in .357... Can't beat free brass for the pistol for plinking.

I have a buddy shooting wichester out of his, he's liking it. I only ran remington through mine so I didn't have much experience with anything else.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I plan on doing a test in the near future when the weather clears. I'm going to sort some brass, and purposely load all the mixed headstamps with no repeats. I'm going to shoot at 25 yards to see for certain of any differences. All shots will be from a solid rest.

Like I said before. I mostly just shoot for fun. I only shoot handguns from the bench to sight them in. Any differences I would see normally could be chaulked up to offhand shooting. When I sight them in I am normally using hunting loads.

I will have to keep you all posted when the time comes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts