The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that have one whats your likes and dislikes? I'm thinking of getting one in a model 7 CDL.With the popularity of short mags I wonder why this cartridge isnt more popular?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
It has a lot of powder, and generally needs at least 24 inch barrel to perform. Most offering have been in 20 inch barrels, so it is not much better than the 358 win. The CDL use to come in 22 inch barrel but that has now been discontinued in favor of the 20 inch tube...go figure that one out?

Over all the cartridge is good, but if you shoot the heavier bullets in the lightweight rifles it is usually offered in it will kick hard. Ballistically it is like a 35 Whelen only smaller action and a belt.

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
I have a special fondness for the 358 Win., 35 Whelen, and the 350 Remington magnum...My key to getting the 350 to perform out of a short barrel (Remington Model 660) is to use a light bullet and fast burning powders like IMR-4895 or IMR-4064....

Can't comment on how it kills because I never see anything when I take it hunting ( A testament that the animals already know what I'm bringing, same as they can predict oncoming storms).

Anyway, the cartridge is now more popular than it ever was, and offered in more rifles than ever, and with the advent of all the short magnums, they still haven't brought out anything to challenge the 350..

Accuracy?....That's easy...I get 1 1/4" groups with most anything I try ..If you should choose to buy a 350, I doubt if you'll have much trouble coaxing good groups out of it.....I love mine, and will use it often this season..

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I have mine in a T/C MGM Encore Carbine, its very light and does kick, I put a brake on it and tamed it right down. not really afraid of anything with a 350 in my hands up to and including grizzly. def. not a long ranger but is Pa a long range state unless you are into that kind of stuff, kills whatever it hits with authority. I shoot 4064 and the now discontinued 150gr psp and the 225 b-tips. get 1 to 1 1/2" groups. I use a 1.75-6x32 vari-x III scope so i probably could do better with more glass but the scope looks and works great for what I need. I have shot a few deer with it and there really isnt much to say ,,,,dead is dead? I use mine for bears and was drawn to the caliber for nostalgic reasons. its a winnner in my book.

also have the exact barrel for my encore in 6.5 rem mag, its a winner too

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I have killed several bucks with the .350 out of a 700 Classic.....used the 200 gr. RN CoreLokt ahead of a max load of H4895.....runs a bit over 2800 fps at 15'....

None of the deer took a step....full penetration and massive destruction....all were double lung shots....little to no meat loss.....

If I had to choose but one cartridge/bullet combination for our deer it would be the above.....

·
Registered
699 Posts
I shoot a 350 Mag. in a Ruger MKII with a 22" barrel and it is a great shooter. I don't reload yet so I am shooting factory Remington ammo and they shoot really good groups. I am very confident when I am carring this gun, it just shoots where I aim !! I took a bear with it in 2005. I think it's a great cartridge, hard hitting, and certainly a keeper. It will be with me again this season in Penns woods.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a Ruger MKII in a 350 mag, my brother also has one same gun, but synthetic stainless. Decent shooting guns, we get around an 1" group accuracy. We have yet to kill anything with ours. We use them primarily for bear guns, but enjoy the cartridge. I wouldn't hesitate to get another, nice having good power in a short action. The only down fall is the lack of factory ammo, the 358 win has the edge there. I'd love to get another one in either a remington classic, or 600/660. I'd rather have one of those two, but settled on the Ruger. As far as the recoil, I'm not recoil sensative, but alot of guys do comment that it's fairly stout.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The .350 Rem Mag is the ORIGINAL short mag!!!
I had one made off a Remington action many years ago----It has a 20in barrel and it shoots sub MOA(Even if it knocks my fillings loose). I have never missed or lost game with the gun-------It kills everything dead and in a hurry!!!
I have not shot it in a while being I shoot Encores exclusively.
I love my .350.

Dave

·
Registered
699 Posts
thanks Smitty,
Took a fat, blocky feeling laminated stock from Ruger and stripped it, sanded a lot of the forend and grip area. Wanted to make it more of a sporter stock, feels and points great. Hit it with black stain to make it a little different.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have a Remington model 673 in 350 Rem Mag. I really like the gun but it is a hard kicker. For those of you that own one, what kind of scope do you have on the gun? My feeling is that you need a good scope that can stand up to this sort of recoil.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I have a 700 Classic w/a Leupold 1.5-5, a 660 with the same scope and an old 24" BDL w/a Leupold 1.75-6x36...

My favorite deer load, in response to some other posts here, is 61 gr. of H4895 and a 200 CoreLokt RN....clocks over 2800 fps out of both the Classic and the BDL at 15'...never checked it in the 660....very accurate....

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Got a Model 7 KS in 350 magnum coming in a week or so....I want to load 200 grain round nose bullets in it..If anybody has any they want to sell or trade out, let me know!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts