The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys! I'm looking for some insight. I have the option to buy either a 350 rem mag in a stainless ruger and a model 7 7mm saum. I would like to know likes and dislikes on both calibers as I do not have any experience with either cartridge. Along with ballistics. Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
503 Posts
Neither sound cheap to feed check to see how much ammo cost

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not worried about the cost of the ammo. I like the short actions and both are cals that most don't use. Thats why I was asking about likes or dislikes and about ballistics.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I really like the 350 Rem Mag. Pushing a 200 grain bullet along at 2800 fps, zeroed 2" high at 100 will put you roughly 9" low at 300 but still carrying 1700 ft/lbs, all this in a short action.

·
Banned
751 Posts
i own both and the 7mm saum is an absolute tack driver. my 7mm saum is a model seven stainless synthetic and i push a 145 gr bullet at about 2900 ft per second. inch and a half high at 100 and you are 7 inches low at 300. my 350 is a 673 guide rifle and it absolutely beats the snoot out of me. it shoots 1 and 3/4 inch groups compared to 3/4 inch groups with the 7mm saum. both are plenty accurate for hunting but the 7mm saum is much more pleasurable to shoot, as well as it is cheaper to reload the 7mm saum. just my two cents

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
The .350 Rem Mag would be my choice---It is the ORIGINAL short mag. I love mine,although recoil is more than I like.
JMHO
Dave

·
Registered
699 Posts
The 350 Rem Mag knocks the snot out of anything on the receiving end !! I have a Ruger MKII and it shoots really well, even with factory ammo. I think it's one of the most under rated cartridges out there. I will also say I am a big fan of the 7mm. I also shoot a 7mm-08 and a 7WSM that are fine shooters as well. I have to favor the 350

My 350 Rem Mag:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Both are good cartridges. Depends on what you want to do with it. 7mm is a better deer gun and a light carry rifle. 350 is a heavy bullet rifle same class as the 348, 35 whelan.

If it is just a shooter the 7mm will be great.
I do like the 350 r mag, and that would be my choice.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Both are more than capable of killing any big game animal in the state of PA..The only real difference is the aerodynamics of the 7mm bullet vs. the .358 bullet..not much of a contest here..out to 200 yards I would choose either..after that the SAUM would outperdorm the 350RM by a landslide.. if your a woods hunter, your choice, if your a fielder or strip cut watcher the SAUM handsdown.. If you can find a model 7 stainless synthetic that would be about the perfect rifle.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have found both rifles in stainless synthetic. The 7mm is a model 7 and the 350 is a ruger in the older style finish. I don't like the finish on the new hawkeyes.

·
Registered
606 Posts
if you dont reload I would go with the 7mm RSAUM because I dont reload and I was goin to get a Remington model 7 in 350 Rem mag but I couldnt find any place that had ammo for it no local gun shops,Cabelas,midway,ableammo are just a few that I checked

·
Registered
485 Posts
both are great if target is wearing body amour. really how tough is it to harvest the average whitetail or even black bear in pennsylvania?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
If you are only getting this rifle for deer and bear in Pa I'd say go with the 7mm. If you like to walk on the wild side and feel some recoil go with the .350 RM. I never had a 7mm short but looked at it close. I have owned a .350 RM Ruger that I gave to my best friend when he took a job in AK 4 years ago. You dont want to hear about all the crap he has shot with that rifle since then.

With the ballistics... 7mm will kill any deer or black bear farther then you have any business shooting. It will also work on elk and moose at reasonable ranges depending on bullet.

The .350 with 200gr Rems will smack any deer or bear you can see. But with 335gr partitions it becomes a moose elk round as far as anyone has any business shooting. To each his own. Both are odd which some of us seek.

If you wanted to compare with the grain... 7mm wsm is beat out in ammo choices, rifles, and close in performance. Also the .350 RM is beat by the .338.

You want an odd one that spanks them all go with the .358 Norma.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
broknaero said:
If you are only getting this rifle for deer and bear in Pa I'd say go with the 7mm. If you like to walk on the wild side and feel some recoil go with the .350 RM. I never had a 7mm short but looked at it close. I have owned a .350 RM Ruger that I gave to my best friend when he took a job in AK 4 years ago. You dont want to hear about all the crap he has shot with that rifle since then.

With the ballistics... 7mm will kill any deer or black bear farther then you have any business shooting. It will also work on elk and moose at reasonable ranges depending on bullet.

The .350 with 200gr Rems will smack any deer or bear you can see. But with 335gr partitions it becomes a moose elk round as far as anyone has any business shooting. To each his own. Both are odd which some of us seek.

If you wanted to compare with the grain... 7mm wsm is beat out in ammo choices, rifles, and close in performance. Also the .350 RM is beat by the .338.

You want an odd one that spanks them all go with the .358 Norma.

Agreed.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts