The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just made what I hope is a good purchase. My grandson is 12 and he will be hunting with me this year. The main problem is he is a lefty. I took a chance and drove from camp to McConnelsburg in fulton County. Talked to the man at Buchanan Gun shop, told him my problem and we was so helpful. He brought out a savage .350 Legend. filled me in on it hooked me up with a scope, rings and ammo. All for $500.00 . Has anyone ever shot a deer with one. If you are in the McConnelsburg area stop in there , great people.

·
Registered
8,992 Posts
..you use any caliber with the wrong bullet or hit them where you shouldn't...doesn't matter what one uses.

Reactions: Dogface

·
Registered
455 Posts
I'm hoping that some company comes out with a bolt or lever .357 MAX for hand loaders , I now have a T/C encore accuracy bbl and it shoots great but a bolt or lever would be a nice option. I also like the .357 cal as opposed to the .355 cal that the Legend is.

·
Registered
4,500 Posts
I hope there are posts about having success with that cartridge. All I hear is be prepared to do a lot of tracking.
I’ve heard a bit of the opposite.
It’s all about shot placement anyway.
If they ever approve SA rifles in this “stuck in the 50’s” state, I’m building a Legend upper and suppressing it.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ballistics don't lie. I know it isn't a 300 win mag but it should be more than adequate for deer size game at typical PA distances. I have a friend that killed two does with his last year and watched a bunch of quick kills on YouTube. All that said, it probably is over hyped like most new cartridges. I believe that's called marketing!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a winchester in 350 Legend. Was in De with it for the guns season last week. I took 2 large doe. First one was 100yd shot and it only went 30 yds. Second deer was ranged at 187yds. It only went 50 yds before it expired. My experience is it will be a fine gun for your youth hunter.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
I had a boss years ago that told me how many deer he killed with a 22LR when he was a kid to feed the family. It's all about shot placement and I think the 350 would do fine if used within it's limits.

·
Registered
4,333 Posts
I had a boss years ago that told me how many deer he killed with a 22LR when he was a kid to feed the family. It's all about shot placement and I think the 350 would do fine if used within it's limits.
This comment is not regarding the .350 Legend, which I'm sure will be just fine. But did your former boss tell you how many deer he wounded with that .22LR? I'll bet not.

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
This comment is not regarding the .350 Legend, which I'm sure will be just fine. But did your former boss tell you how many deer he wounded with that .22LR? I'll bet not.
The state of Maine uses the 22 mag for deer and some southern states still use the 22 lr.We never lost any in the 80's on the farm when using the 22 mag in the lungs.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ballistics don't lie. I know it isn't a 300 win mag but it should be more than adequate for deer size game at typical PA distances. I have a friend that killed two does with his last year and watched a bunch of quick kills on YouTube. All that said, it probably is over hyped like most new cartridges. I believe that's called marketing!
Its pretty similar in performance to a 357 mag hotter loads,buffalo bore, out of a rifle. 357 mag works great out to 125 yards out of a rifle. Now 357 mag bullets are made to expand at low velocities so that could be a factor.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts