The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just seen a used Remington model 700 CDL in 35 Whelen that I'm thinking of getting and was wondering for those of you that have that caliber whats the good and bad of it? Also I currently have a 338 Win mag so should I keep it or trade it on for the 35 Whelen? Thanks.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Well like I said in the other thread I feel the 1-16" twist is the limiting factor in the cartridge. If they made them in a faster twist and offered a 275 grain load I think it would really make the cartridge devastating. The 9.3X62 is often considered Elephant and Buffalo worthy and it's just a little larger in diameter but it shoots a 286 grain bullet.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
The whelen is a great cartridge, it really depends on what you plan on hunting, it does really good with just about anything out to 250 yards or so, anything past that, the .338 does much better. I think the whelen is perfect for PA. Good luck on whatever choice you make!!!

Mac

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Get the Whelen. I have the CDL and it is one of favorites. With home rolled ammo, it really shines. As said before, one of the best Pa large game rounds. With 225Gr TSX bullets, I'd put it to take any lower 48 game out to 300+ yds.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Both are great rifles. I sold my .338 to a friend in Alaska where it was more suitable but it was the best elk rifle I ever had. Shot a lot of elk with different calibers and they all killed the elk but with the .338 you saw a big difference. Never used the 35 Whelen but it is a proven round with a good history. Really, its your decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts