The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old Speer manual does not list a load for reduced recoil. My 8 year old nephew wants to try some deer hunting and his dad (my brother)has a couple of Whelens and was hoping to let him use one. This boy loves to shoot 12 gauge low brass and is big for his age(over 100 lb) so I'm not overly concerned about the recoil but if I can make some reloads with a little lighter recoil it would be a plus. Is the lightest bullet a 180 grain? My manual shows a 158 grain but in bold print it states not to make a reduced load. Does anyone have any combinations that shoot well with a lighter recoil?

Thanks,
Scott

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
maybe try loading up some of the 158gr pistol bullets and see how they feel...if memory serves me right, they are fairly mild loads..going to be really equivalent to a 30-30 in terms of bullet speed and weight...dont think any of the pistol bullet loads came near full velocity...

35whelan, you really think?? maybe i load a little heavy..or maybe its just the 7600...but after about 10rds ive had about enough for a few days! lol...she lets you know you just pulled the trigger thats for sure...i wouldnt say its horrible..

id be surprised if there are any "known" reduced recoil loads for it...caliber isnt all that popular and really, if you load it down, you got a 35 rem...it just wasnt built to be a light caliber...not saying you couldnt load it down...i have no idea about the saftey of reducing loads..

but id try one of the 180s loaded light or the pistol bullets...pretty sure the pistol bullets were only doing 2200-2400 or so in the book..that shouldnt hurt too bad i wouldnt think...and should put the hurtin on a deer if shooting a good bullet

·
Registered
889 Posts
The 35 caliber is a great caliber for cast bullets. would suggest you either make your own or buy a couple of hundred cast bullets. If you keep the velocity between 1600 and 1800 fps you should not need a gas checked bullet, but you could still shoot a GC bullet if you want. the cast bullet would also make a great hunting bullet for him. So you could reduce recoil, teach him the fun of cast bullet shooting, and shoot for alot less money. The 35 Whelen makes a great cast bullet round, as well as the 358 Winchester.

A good 200 grain bullet would be a great bullet to choose. You can use several powders for a medium to light load. RL7, 2400, or even Red Dot will work well for what you want.

If you decide you want to power it up then look at 4064 or 4895. Lots of good loads out there. Ask the mfr. that you buy your cast bullets from. Probably a good idea to order your cast bullets off the net from a small guy who makes them, he will take the time to help you with just the right load that you want.

For my 358 Winchester I cast the RCBS 200 grain bullet with a GC. I like to run the speed up a little bit over 1600-1800 fps, with RL7. Tom.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
wolfehunter said:
My 8 year old nephew ...is big for his age(over 100 lb)
That kid's a future line backer for Penn State and the Steelers!!

For comparison, in 8th grade, at age 13, I wrestled 85 pounds!! (But I've filled out nicely over the years!!

·
Registered
378 Posts
You might try looking on this site:
http://www.35cal.com/loading.html

I spent the last three trips at the range testing and putting together a reduced lead load for my .444 Marlin. It was worth the time. It's economical to plink with and fun to shoot this rifle now in a tee shirt. I can post the results and targets if anyone is interested.

PS - I was only 105 lbs. when I started high school. Four decades later I'm now twice that weight. But I do appreciate light-recoiling arms.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I once asked about making reduced loads for my 300 RUM, and some guys mentioned that with reduced loads, you might need to use a "filler" to make up case capacity.

I have never used a filler, and dont even know what you use for filler, but it wasn't something I wanted to play with.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have read of cornmeal and Cream of Wheat used as filler, but food products that can absorb moisture mixed with combustible solutions seem a bit odd to me.

I have used polyester filler (the stuff you use in pillows) for years for reduced-power loads in straight-walled pistol and rifle cases. It works very well and a little goes a long way. I see no increase in pressure signs and it's consumed in the bore. However, I have read various pro's and con's when used in bottleneck cases.

Some info on filler:
http://home.earthlink.net/~driveabout/part2.htm

This is what I use:

·
Registered
889 Posts
I use Dacron filler for all my Gallery loads. It works great, just read up on how to use it, and use it properly. Just be careful when you buy it(I didn't). You will be surprised how much you get. Look at the big white ball at the end of my casting table. I have more than enough for a couple of lifetimes. I never realized how large in size that a roll would be.
Tom.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Scott,

I have a little Ruger 7.62x39 bolt action which would be perfect for the young lad and it is the rifle that most of the young kids in the neighborhood got their first deer with ,plus I have enough surplus army ammo that he could practice on deer targets all summer long, then go to the softpoints in the fall......It's here if you want to use it.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Try to find some of the 35 cal 150gr PSP remingtons that are now discontinued, I use them for light loads in my 350 rem mag. The thicker rifle bullet jacket is better than the pistol bulet at least in my 350RM. accuracy is ok not awesome just ok but with reduced loads you arent shooting a country mile either.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
I think it would be more suitable finding a smaller,lighter gun that kicks alot less for an 8 year old.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the great suggestions. We're going to try some Blue Dot starting in around 20 gr with a 180 grain tip and see if he can handle the recoil. Then we'll work on accuracy if he can take the punch.

·
Registered
20,874 Posts
Even if he can handle the recoil,very few 8 year olds have a big enough frame to comfortably shoot a full sized rifle,made for an adult.Stock fit is also a function of felt recoil.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
dce said:
Even if he can handle the recoil,very few 8 year olds have a big enough frame to comfortably shoot a full sized rifle,made for an adult.Stock fit is also a function of felt recoil.
+1.

Get him a rifle that he can hunt with for the next 4-5 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf

I have been playing with Trail Boss powder in several double rifle cartridges and a .35 wildcat of my design and If you want just a target light recoiling load in the Whelen try pistol bullets in it . The above link will give you the formula for finding a start load. This powder is extremely bulky. In most cases you can't fit enough in to overload it. It can be loaded in just about any cartridge. I have loaded it in pistol rounds all the way to 475 #2 NE. Some of the lighter bullets designed for the Whelen won't expand at these velocities. Most of the pistol bullets will. I have loaded 158 gr Hornadys in my wildcat round to 1650 fps and they shoot extremely well and would (at short range) certainly kill a whitail. They could be loaded hotter but they shoot very well and I'm not hunting with this load. Trail Boss is so bulky it only come 9 ounces to the container. Give it a try.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts