The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, let's hear your stories good or bad. Throw in some of dad and grandad's stories if you want. Who likes this cartridge, who hates it. What's it good for. Let's just discuss this cartridge. I was a .35 Remington guy for years. I handloaded it and hunted with it a lot. Back in those days I always seemed to have a .30-30 or .32 Special in my hands when I filled my tags though. I did take a seven pointer with the .35 remington in 2003 on the third day of rifle season. It was just before dark and this buck came out into the field. I shot him at 100 yards behind the shoulder with a 150 grain Core-Lokt. He went down on his front legs and tried running away. I shot twice more and he was down. I quit using the 150 grain after that. I just picked up a new to me Marlin in .35 and I'm starting to generate some interest in the old round again so I'd like to hear some stories.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
i personally think its the best all around cartridge out there for pennsylvania hunting.been looking to get one again myself.would think with a 200gr bullett it would be an awesome bear gun

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Moose, that's funny you posted this. Even though ill probably be buying a 7mm-08. The 35 Whelen keeps calling me. I've always wanted to experiment with that caliber. And I'm still considering it. I'm curios to read the posts you drum up with this one.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Shot my first deer with the 35 rem. I use the 200 grainers for mine. I also have the new XLR and I will tell you I love it. It is much smoother action that Marlins from years ago. My father in law always told me I had to be rough with a lever action so it would cycle right. These new ones are super smoothe. I had 300 rounds reloaded for me with the new 200 grain hornady ammo and I'm getting great groups at 100 yards. I got to use the 35 last year and shot 3 does in 2 states and all three dropped in their tracks. No tracking what so ever. I'm very happy with mine.Stainless with black laminate makes also for a good looking rifle.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
my first buck, my first gun, back in the mid 70s, love it i have 3 of them all marlins, my orginal, my dads , and my brothers, 200 grain round nose,last year started my oldest son on my dads 35 with the new 200 hornady rovulation bullets, they shoot great, good gun for our pa woods black bear, and white tail.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
35 rem is Ok. I load for it. The marlin micro groove barrels are not a help.

Not the best Marlin lever for PA hunting, that is reserved for the awesome 375 wincheter marlin 336 lever gun. Just the best. The 38-55 is second and the 35 right behind it,

·
Registered
25,510 Posts
When I was a kid, one of our neighbors hunted deer with his grandad's 141 pump in 35 Rem. He used to grumble about it, but was too cheap to buy another rifle. He usually managed to take a deer with it each year, too. It was the first rifle in 35 Rem. that I was ever around.

Some friends had them, but since I already had a M94 in 32 Special, the cartridge never interested me all that much.

That changed when I "rescued" a Marlin 336 Sporting Carbine in 35 Rem. some years ago. Have killed a coupla deer with it since, love that little devil. Very accurate with 200gr Core Lokts, enjoy shooting it with the Williams receiver sight I added to it years ago.

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
After a barrage of rifle shots at a few deer running across an open field by some of the standers, a few of us that were drivers started to walk down a dirt tractor road to start another drive. My buddy said whoa! Hold up..check this out! There was a .35 slug laying on the dirt road. The mark on the road was about 15-20 ft behind it and the slug just laid there with the tip slightly smeared. Except for the rifling marks I think it could have been reloaded. The distance from where the guy with the .35 shot was about 200yards away. I THINK what might have happened was the slug hit much closer in the field, skipped out to the road and made a short hop after it hit the dirt.
I KNOW many things have given up the ghost to the Ol .35, and he has gotten his share too, but we busted his potatoes every time he has hunted with that since by telling him he should pull the tips and just throw them at the deer.
I have had the opportunity to buy a few rifles in .35 Rem but have passed because of that incident.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Its not my favorite round. I remember sighting one in years ago and noticing the sound of the bullet hitting the target after the gun had fired. But, slow as it may be, the .35 Rem has killed far more deer than I ever will. Like many other calibers that I may never own, its still a practical choice. Plus there's no reason not to use one. Dont get me wrong, I consider it to be a woods gun at most. I wouldnt even dare to try and fling one of those bullets long distance.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
My Father had a Rem 141 that he used from the late 40s till his death. All of his uncles used older Rem 14s. All in .35 Rem. You have to remember also that back then the law was that a buck had to have a Y on one side to be legal and nobody had scopes on their guns so most shooting was pretty close range.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
brown trout, the 35 whelen and 35 rem are about night and day....other than they are both 35 caliber....the whelen is a much hotter loading...

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
I too now have a used Model 336 35 Rem...$208.00 yet.. Love the gun... Like how is shoots and carrys too...First year I got it I shot a doe with it and ran 20 yards and dropped.. Like the new Hornady Leverlution ammo, Cabelas Leverlution BDC 35 Rem scope too.. However is shoots the corelokt real accurate too.
I like the 35 Rem so much that I often think about getting an Encore barrel made in the 35 Rem.. However why would I want to do that since the Model 336 shoots so well.

Make sure you use the 200 grain bullets. If you use the 150 grain bullets gee thats almost like using a 30/30.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
I've taken more than a few whitetails with a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem. It was my first "deer" gun and and a constant companion for several years. Loaded with a 200 grain roundnose, every deer I ever dropped the hammer on went belly up within a few steps.

I'd also consider it an excellent choice for PA bear as long as the ranges are kept in check. For the kind of hunting I do for bear, the thick nasty blowdowns where ranges are very short, I'd opt for ir over many other centerfires.

·
Registered
20,873 Posts
I have no experience with the newer loads but my father,brother and I all used them for years.We mostly used 200 gr federal premiums.I personally hate the cartridge and gave my .35 rem to my nephew.I've seen literally dozens of deer killed with the cartridge over the years and the results were not impressive.The only deer I ever saw drop in their tracks were the ones that were either shot in the neck or spine.I also have several recovered bullets laying around somewhere.Penetration was a joke.Very rarely did we ever get a passthrough if heavy bone was encountered.

The .35 rem is not the cannon so many people think it is.Most rifles chambered for it had 20 inch barrels and you were lucky to get 2000 fps out of factory ammo.That's amemic.

I would use it for bear if it was my only choice but I'd only take very close,broadside shots.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts