The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got a 35 Remington from another member on here and have a few questions. Fisrt off I have always wanted a 35 Whelan, but they are hard to find, settled on a 30-06 in a 7600 a couple of years ago, then this 35 Remington came up in a 760, so here we are! What are you guys shooting out of them? The gunshop I stopped at only had 1 box of ammo and it was 200 grain cor-loks, so I got them to try out. There is a scope on this gun I would like to take off but the rear sight has been removed and has a filler block in it. Can I get the dove-tailed rear sights to put back in? Any ideas where? There isn't many gunshops here in western Pa that have an actual gunsmith!
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Long time ago when I shot factory ammo i liked the rem's over the winny's.
Handloading I use the 200gr core lokts and speer 180's but
I like the 200gr core lokts better.
This is of course out of a pair of 336's and not a 760.
I do not know if they have the rear sight but this is where i'd look first
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
The gun show in Monroeville and Washington usually have at least one exhibitor who deals in nothing but odd and end misc parts and sights like you're talking about. I wouldn't guarantee they'd have it but it'd be worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You can get the rear sight from Remington.

But there are lots of sights available for the 760. You might like the ones that go into the rear scope holes and are a receiver sight with and aperature. In PA most guys screw out the apperature and use them as a Ghost sight.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=16154...RECEIVER_SIGHTS

If the rear sight is dovetailed you have an early m760. if you want an exact replacement try: Ken Bean 'The Sight Man' 383 Yorkana Rd. York PA 17406 He has a display at the bigger gun shows like Tarantum(probably the guy Kudu referred to).

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to give Ken Bean a call, I can't find a dovetailed rear sight on gunbroker or even the Remington site.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i use 200 grain corelokts in all my 35's. they are deer hammers and very accurate. i have them in model 14, 141, 760, 7600, and marlin 336 and they shoot good in all of them. for an original rear site, check ebay and also go over to remingtonsociety.com and check there.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
My grandfather has a 760 in 35 Remington, and his shoots awesome for what it is. We have shot all different types of ammo out of that thing, and one thing really stands out. No matter what it ised it normally shoots the same at 100 yards, and everything he shoots with it dies just the same.

Most factory loads are round nose to use in marlin rifles. He tried Remington's and they do shoot good. He shot one deer with them, and it died within sight. Loaded up a couple different spire points (all 200 grainers), and they shoot about the same. They may shoot a bit flatter at longer ranges, but there was never a reason to try for him. They killed deer just the same.

Most 35 cal bullets in 200 grain are meant for the 35 remington type velocities, and will all give similar performance. Sort of like a 30 cal 170 grain RN for a 30-30. Either way, andthing you hit with it within that range will be stone dead if hit properly.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I also shoot cor-lock until the Hornidy Leverlutions came out. IMO No comparison! I even have hand loads and the Hornidy's shot just as good if not better.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update guys, I went to the range with it for the first time today, WOW! Amazed at how well it shoots and the recoil was next to nothing! (even with no pad on it) I'm going to try a box of the leverlutions and see how they are also, but the 200 gr cor-loks were great! I still need to get the rear sight, or I may put a different scope on it, not sure yet. Also going to redo the stock.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts