The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I killed my first 7 deer with a .35 model 141 that my Pap gave me. I guess because of that, I've always just had a fondness for that caliber. I bought a lever .35 a couple years ago, and was amazed at how accurate it was. Unfortunately I had to part with it. I just bought another 2 months ago, and haven't had a chance to get it to the range yet. I'm hoping it shoots as good as the one I sold. I had a pump 30-30 many years ago that I bought for my wife. It was an adequate rifle, but I sold it when she stopped hunting. I don't know why, but I've just never cared for the 30-30.

Reactions: hunterdan199

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have taken deer with both and think either caliber is fine for PA woods deer hunting. From a purely practical standpoint 30-30 ammo is typically easy to find and cheaper than 35 rem, so that may be consideration. Either way pick one, add reliable optics and shoot until you have confidence and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
433 Posts
What you carry ? And why ?

Thank you
When I first recieved a driver's license at 16, a neighbor in is 80 s would have me drive him and my buddy groundhog hunting almost every day in the summer for several years. The old gentleman's deer rifle was a 141 in .35. He claimed to have killed 80 some deer with it. He belonged to a camp that was mostly drinkers and card players according to him. He would spend 2 wks filling tags. The day before buck season the camp held a shooting contest at 200 yds. This old fellow had some very accurate custom 22 250s but the only group he carried in his wallet was 5 shots in a 1.5 group shot over a stump with the 35. He also killed several bears with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got a 30-30 several years ago when I lived in Arkansas hunting pigs and wanted a brush gun. Shots tend to be less than 20 yds and in really thick cover. I considered the 35 Rem, but had the impression at the time that the 30-30 ammo would be easier to find. Although that was when all ammo seemed to be harder to find.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
After my first deer ( .410 pumpkin ball) My brother picked up a 35 rem for himself and handed down a 30-30 win to me. I took deer with the 30-30 for about 10 years until I handed it back down to my nephew. He took deer with it also.

I used many guns since than and enjoyed them.

When Pa opened bear season in the first week of rifle deer I set aside my favorite 22-250 for a 35 rem. Been doing that since and it has helped.

The thing is it seems to have come full cycle for me. Sort of anyway. I started using a .410 contender for small game, it has put the fun back in the hunt. So Naturally I picked up a few more contenders and barrels along the way. I have a 30-30 barrel that I am shooting and becoming confidant with and hope to use it to take a deer this year.

I also have a 35 rem barrel for the same contender but have not even fired a round down range from it yet.
I guess I like both calibers. Waugh!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Love my old 35 remington.

Was my fathers. Never had a 30/30 don't need one.

The 35 is on the money and very easy to operate. The only precaution is there isn't a safety so you have to be extra extra careful when unloading.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
My father had a Rem. 141 in .35 and his uncles all had model 14s and I think one had a model 8? All .35s. I think the .35 hits a bit harder with the 200 gr. bullets.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I owned and hunted with both calibers in Marlins 336 lever action, killed many deer with both and the 35 definitely has more knock down power over the 30-30. But you can find ammo for the 30-30 just about any place, sometimes the 35 ammo can be hard to find and cost more. Now,, with the new Hornady Superformance ammo both calibers are pretty darn good. I would feel confident with either caliber for Deer or Bear,, within a reasonable range of course.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought my Grandfather a 336 in .35 rem in 1972. I got it back when he passed. I gave it to my son, because he's left handed. The first year doe was in with buck he was on stand and he looks over his shoulder and there's a doe behind him about 35 yards. He quickly gets on target and shoots. To his surprise "and what the heck just happened" there's two deer on the ground, dead. He never saw the smaller deer behind the larger one. Luckily I was close and hadn't shot a doe so I put my tag on it. I know that's not legal, but it seemed prudent to me. That 200 gr. bullet did a lot of damage at that range.

·
Super Moderator
13,709 Posts
I own a 30-30 336 Marlin and Remington 141 in .35 Rem.

I caught a couple of drunk poachers one night that shot a deer with a 30-30 round in their Marlin .35 Remington rifle.I was surprised when they refused to exit their vehicle. They were surprised when I told them if they didn't get out on their own I would drag them out through the window. When we got it all hashed out it was obvious they didn't want to get out because they were so drunk they could hardly talk and couldn't stand up without assistance.

I was surprised they hit the deer but they did. They were surprised they couldn't get the spent round to eject from the rifle.

I finally got the spent 30-30 casing out of their .35 Remington by using a screw driver to pry it out.

The good old days!

Dick Bodenhorn

·
Registered
20,868 Posts
When I started hunting,my brother,father and I all used .35 rems.I lost track of the number of deer shot with that caliber.I always was and still remain unimpressed.Lethargic at best.I fail to see what's impressive about a 200gr bullet traveling less than 2000 fps.The only deer I ever saw drop were from neck shots and high shoulder shots that took out the spine.The majority never exited unless shot through the ribs and the exit hole was never impressive.That caliber turned me into a better tracker.When we started using 30-06's and .308's I was amazed that a lung shot would more often than not anchor a deer where it stood.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've always had a soft spot for the 35's... took my first deer with a loaner with irons.
My next few seasons were with a loaner scoped 30-30.
Both performed well, but that 35 just felt better.
I've long since settled in with an 06, but still take a 30-30 with for the occasional stalk.
Would love to find a well-kept 35 lever gun though...

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Both great and excellent cals.If you don,t reloadI would go with the 30-30 cause like others stated the ammo is everywhere and cheaper.With good shot placement the 30-30 isn,t goin to lose out to a .35 in the same conditions.Those great big slow rounds knock Deer off their feet and will never fade into the sunset like other cals have.

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I own a 30-30 336 Marlin and Remington 141 in .35 Rem.

I caught a couple of drunk poachers one night that shot a deer with a 30-30 round in their Marlin .35 Remington rifle.I was surprised when they refused to exit their vehicle. They were surprised when I told them if they didn't get out on their own I would drag them out through the window. When we got it all hashed out it was obvious they didn't want to get out because they were so drunk they could hardly talk and couldn't stand up without assistance.

I was surprised they hit the deer but they did. They were surprised they couldn't get the spent round to eject from the rifle.

I finally got the spent 30-30 casing out of their .35 Remington by using a screw driver to pry it out.

The good old days!

Dick Bodenhorn
Did it kill the deer? I wouldn't think there would be enough pressure to send a 30 caliber bullet down a 35 caliber bore at a decent velocity. But, strange things can happen.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I started hunting,my brother,father and I all used .35 rems.I lost track of the number of deer shot with that caliber.I always was and still remain unimpressed.Lethargic at best.I fail to see what's impressive about a 200gr bullet traveling less than 2000 fps.The only deer I ever saw drop were from neck shots and high shoulder shots that took out the spine.The majority never exited unless shot through the ribs and the exit hole was never impressive.That caliber turned mwe into a better tracker.When we started using 30-06's and .308's I was amazed that a lung shot would more often than not anchor a deer where it stood.
Of course everyone knows the answer is to shoot thru the animal and dump a bunch of energy in the tree behind it. I had a friend who constantly complained about double lunging deer and then having to track them for several hundred yards, or hearing a shot and finding someone standing over the deer he shot that they walked up to and shot thru it's neck at 2yds and claim the deer. Loaned him and his dad a .223 , they both shot deer that year that fell in 1 jump or less, energy all dumped in the deer. Nothing wrong with a larger gun but it is not needed. Little more range time will cure lots of deer shooting woes, regardless of the cartridge used. Zero your rifle than get off the bench and practice some real life shots.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts