The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the local gun shop today and they had a remington 700 in that caliber, 26" barrel with leupold vxii on it for $799. I held it for quite some time and eventually put it back. Anyone know anything about this wildcat? Should I have purchased it? I assume ammo would have to be custom made...?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Cabelas? I picked up that exact gun on friday, man i almost walked away with it because it was something diffrent! Ive gotta imagine its a thumper!

·
Registered
226 Posts
American Hunter had an article on elk cartridges a year or so ago. This cartridge was mentioned. I don't remember which author wrote the article, but it was one of their regulars. I think it was developed by Mark Bansner, but I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I can't see it doing anything a 300 rum can't do, unless your looking for more recoil, more drop, and less quality in bullet selection.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
grovey said:
I can't see it doing anything a 300 rum can't do, unless your looking for more recoil, more drop, and less quality in bullet selection.
Actually, the .35-.300 RUM (.358 UMT) isn't even in the same playground as the .300 RUM.

The .358 UMT is a SERIOUS mudhole stomper. It retains more ft/lbs of energy at 200 yards than a .338 Win Mag and shoots flatter than either the .300 Win Mag or the 7mm Rem Mag. No, the bullet selection in .35 cal is not what it is in .30 cal. Nor would girls, children or the recoil-sensitive probably have much fun shooting it. But it would make a DANDY round for critters with big bodies, big bones and or bad attitudes.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
SS43 said:
American Hunter had an article on elk cartridges a year or so ago. This cartridge was mentioned. I don't remember which author wrote the article, but it was one of their regulars. I think it was developed by Mark Bansner, but I can't say for sure.
Not Bansner.

It was developed by Bryce Towsley.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Yes. That's correct. I just had a brain cramp and couldn't remember.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
It would be neat to play with if your a serious reloader. Most of my rifles are wildcats and I think nothing of it but don't get one if you don't reload.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
triggercreep said:
It's a serious cartridge. At both ends!
It's one of the rounds that'll SURELY get a feller off the porch and running with the big dogs.

If you want or need that punch at the front end, you're gonna have to put up with some punch at the back end.

There is no free lunch.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I just never felt a 250 grain .35 caliber bullet trumped a 250 .33 caliber bullet. From the .338 WM I jump straight over the .35 and head right to the .375 H&H. If I want to run a 250 grain then I want it in .338 diameter. If I need more, then I also need more than a 250 grain. But, there are only a couple animals on earth that need more than a .338 can deliver, and they aren't found on this continent. If the .338 WM doesn't throw a 250 fast enough for you, there is always the .340 Weatherby. If you don't like Roy's Mark V, get a .338 RUM and call it a day. There are very few good reasons to slum a .35 caliber anything.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
triggercreep,

The same can be said about every other caliber and/or cartridge. There will always be some overlap in bullet weights when comparing different calibers with similar bullet diameters.

I can find as many reasons to own a 35 as I can a .338, .375, or any other caliber between .14 and .50.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Yep.

Opinions vary.

As for me......... I personally have no use for .338 anything. Way I look at it, a .300 Win or .300 Wby will do anything a .338 Win will. The bigger .338's burn as much powder and boot you as hard as a .375. So I opt to skip over BOTH the .33's AND the .35's and into another ballpark with the .37's.

That's just ME.

Everyone else's mileage may vary.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
P.S. I might could be talked into a .358 STA or the .35-.300 RUM if there was something major they would do that my .375 won't.

Those are two VERY cool .35's !!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I agree. But all I'm saying is a 250 grainer in .33 cal. has a better SD than a 250 in .35 does. And BC will go hand in hand. If there were a 270 grain .35 offering that would swing everything in favor of the bigger bore. But I am a .33 guy so that colors my opinion.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts