The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I have finally nailed down my components except for my stock! So, you guessed it I need some opinions and experiences to nudge me one way or the other. I guess I should outline the build so here are the components I chose:

Stiller TAC .338 action w/ rec lug
Lilja barrel SS #7 contour, fluted 1-10 twist w/ custom muzzle break
Timeny trigger
Wyatt's drop box bottom metal
Topped with night force rings & a NF 5.5X22X56 NXS w/ NPR2 Ret
Steel base with 20MOA

So my hang up is the stock. I'm between the McMillan A5 and the A3 with integral adj cheek piece. Let it rip...

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If see you are making progress on you decisions. That's cool. Hope my tips pay off for you. I like the A5. I find they are set just about perfect. The adjustible cheek piece is seldom adjusted. For the extra $$ it's not worth in my book.
Also you should consider a 1:9.3" twist in case you wanna shoot some custom bullets down the road. 10" is the min . Anything in the 9s is a little more ideal.
By the way I got 3 more videoed kills over 850 with mine a couple weeks ago. Can wait to see some pics. When you get rolling get ahold of me. We can go shoot some steel plate.

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
Is this going to be strictly a bench rifle where little mobility is needed or are you going to hunt with it (ie. carry it a lot)? I like the McMillan A-3 hunter stock personally. It gives you pointability when needed while still offering you that rock solid shooting platform for longer shots. I have a gun being delivered late this week or early next week with it on. If you're going to be in South-Central PA you are more than welcome to come see how you like it.

Mac

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Hankster, Thank you for the advice on the cheek peice and I was on the fence about that, and was leaning toward straight comb anyway saves me $115... Not sure if I can get a 1:9.3 twist with the Lilja but I will check with them. I was considering loads with bullet weights in the 180 to 250gr, however how often are you shooting the 300 grain bullets? I really like the performance of the Nosler Accubonds but what input do you have here? PM me some videos I'd like to see em! And, yes I'd like to shoot some steel that would be great! Looks like we are close.. I will keep you posted.
hankster said:
If see you are making progress on you decisions. That's cool. Hope my tips pay off for you. I like the A5. I find they are set just about perfect. The adjustible cheek piece is seldom adjusted. For the extra $$ it's not worth in my book.
Also you should consider a 1:9.3" twist in case you wanna shoot some custom bullets down the road. 10" is the min . Anything in the 9s is a little more ideal.
By the way I got 3 more videoed kills over 850 with mine a couple weeks ago. Can wait to see some pics. When you get rolling get ahold of me. We can go shoot some steel plate.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not strictly, I will hunt with it but its hard to put the .300 win mag in the back of the safe when I do rifle hunt! I just love that Cal! So with respect to your post I think that you nailed it for me as far as hunting vs bench so it would seem that the A3 is a tactical hunter version, which is what I need. However the A5 seems to have the best of both worlds? How comfortable is the A3 to shoot prone vs the A5? I was just in Harrisburg for 4 days over the weekend bored watching football at my godsons house looking for something to do.. LOL!
mackgee said:
Is this going to be strictly a bench rifle where little mobility is needed or are you going to hunt with it (ie. carry it a lot)? I like the McMillan A-3 hunter stock personally. It gives you pointability when needed while still offering you that rock solid shooting platform for longer shots. I have a gun being delivered late this week or early next week with it on. If you're going to be in South-Central PA you are more than welcome to come see how you like it.

Mac

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also gentelmen, what brand dies would you suggest? I have an RCBS press... the thread pattern should be standard for other brands I would assume? Obviously, from what I have read the Lapua brass is high quality if you would like to share load data PM me or give your thoughts... Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, components ordered and I went with the A3 straight comb instead of the integral adj cheek peice with pachmeyer decelerator pad. I also changed my bottom metal after I did a little more research and went with the Seekins SP extended box... That gives me the option of cartridges up to an OAL of 3.9" plus I like that the release button is on the side! Only thing now is waiting on a call back from Lilja about twist rate. As listed I think it's either 1:9 or 1:10" I don't think the have other options in the 1:9 such as 1:9.3 or 1:9.5?

·
Registered
5,555 Posts
I shoot the A3 from the prone well, I love it. The hunter version A3 is much nicer as a sporting rifle because it has a beaver tail forearm to grab a hold of if you are shooting offhand. So far I have to say it is the best stock for a hunter that wants a tactical style stock. I'm sure you'll like it. Good luck!

Mac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts