The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, anybody have one? I just got a m77 hawkeye and got a couple boxes of 200 grain federal fusions. I took it out over the weekend to at least season the barrel and after 20 rounds I was ready for a break! Alot more recoil than I was expecting! However it does shoot great! I put a 3 x 9 Redfield on it and only shot it a 100 yards, after a few shots I had it cutting holes at 1" high. I see they make a 180 gr barnes for it also, but they were $52 a box so I opted for the fusions to shoot it in! Anybody shoot anything different or handloads?

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
I stuck one together three or four years ago and shoot either Sierra 215s or 180 NABs. For brass I use necked up Lapua.

A tip, if you handload stock up on H-4895 and light it with a BR2. That combo with most bullets seems to be the ticket in the 33-08...errr...338 Fed.

Bill

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I have a stainless Hawkeye in 338 Federal. Used it to shoot a hog in South Carolina last year and took a doe with it this year. Mine likes heavier bullets. WildBill's load of H4895 and 215 Sierras works really well. I recently switched to Leverevolution powder. Accuracy remained the same but I gained velocity. Looks like Ruger dropped this caliber this year.

·
Registered
9,849 Posts
My buddy has a stainless Hawkeye in .338 Fed. He shoots 200 grain Hornasy Interlocks out of his. They shoot great and the recoil isn't too bad.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Sounds cool. It's the type of cartridge that I like and I could see me getting one sometime.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I have a Savage with a McGowan barrel, I'm shooting 180 grain accubonds, I think over 8208 XBR but I would have to check on that it's been a while since I loaded for it.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
i have the ruger frontier in 338 fed and love it. it shoots the fusions into the same hole at 50 yards with the 2.5x scout scope setup. my son shot a deer with it this year and it blew a giant hole through it and the deer was dead instantly. very impressive. i really like the caliber and hope it enjoys some longevity but i bought 20 boxes of fusions on sale just in case.

·
Registered
502 Posts
i have a Sako 85 in this caliber. I really like the performance. I took a moose in New Foundland last fall with it. I shoot 185's Barnes triple shocks. very happy. I will always have this caliber in my safe. Also use it for Elk as well

1 - 10 of 10 Posts