The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting a Sako Grey Wolf in that caliber. Any feed back on the 338 Federal seems like a nice round and I'm looking for an excuse to start reloading

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
To me the .338 Federal is an answer to a question nobody ever asked............. kinda like the .308 & .338 Marlins, the .30 T/C, the .300 & .338 RCM's, etc...............etc...........

HOWEVER.......... far be it from me to try to dissuade a feller from buying an obscure, niche caliber. I own waaaay too many of those myself and enjoy them immensely.

Personally, if I were looking to buy a short action medium and wanted to reload, I'd buy a .358 Win. But that's just me. I see scarce little real world difference or advantage to the .338 Fed over the .308 Win other than exponentially less ammo availability. But if you're looking for a reason to start loading, you found it in the .338 Federal.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Sako grey wolf, very nice. Don't have one though. I would check around a little for availability of ammo and/or reloading brass before making the leap to an uncommon caliber.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you want to reload, do not worry about factory ammo or brass. 338 Federals are easily formed with one pass in any standard 338 Fed sizing die from good ol 308 brass, same as 358 Win is.

While I do not have a 338 Fed, I am a big fan of the 358 Win currently owning 3 guns so chambered. Most of my brass for them was simply easily made from 308 cases, you can do the same with the 338 Fed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Good luck with the new gun! Buy a couple of good manuals and do some reading before you start. Remember the Golden Rule: Always start low and work up! Learn to watch for pressure signs.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
foxsniper1 said:
Well it looks like the deed is done now to look for reloading supplies
A great round.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have had seven guns in the 338 Federal. I am now down to just one. As long as I can still shoot a rifle this will still be my favorite caliber. I have 243,7mm-08 and 308 and I am only saving them for when I can't handle the recoil anymore.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
I still have an early Kimber .338F...Unfortunately, it is one of the ones with issues. Returned it to their Montana facility and was told its inaccuracy was Federal's fault for them turning out bad ammo when the cartridge was first legitimized..I have it shooting into an inch and a half now which is fine but am still disappointed with the rifle...

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Bob

I had trouble with mine. It took awhile but I have it at about 1" with certain reloads. Since the barrel is so light I shoot 3 shot groups.

When I first got mine the rifle was bedded in a way that the rifle sat on the mag box when you tightened it down. I corrected that problem and re-bedded the rifle.

I sent it back to Kimber to have them correct the lock timing.

The last thing I did was re-crown the muzzle.

Now I'm happy with it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I now only have a Sako Grey Wolf. It only shot a factory load accurately that is no longer made. I lucked out and found a reload that turned this gun into a tack driver. If you get one that prefers the heavier bullets you have a great brush gun for Pa. woods

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
Glad for you....I spoke with Dwight Van Brunt, their national sales manager, who told me to send it to Montana. There they re-crowned the barrel, re-bedded the action and smoothed up the rails. Their 'smith, Barry Vanderstuow, blamed the ammo as the issue, which I highly doubted...

I also shoot 3 shot groups and really have not played with loads much. Would love it if you would share your load with me via PM....

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am sorry. I thought foxsniper1 was asking about a Sako Grey Wolf in 338 Federal..As far as bad ammo in this caliber trust the gunsmith. Why do you think so many manufactures dropped this caliber. Try pulling the bullets on some factory ammo and see how the loads will vary.I sent you a couple of pms WinchesterBob with reloading info. The main lesson I personally learned is to never buy another caliber that only one manufacture makes ammo for

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Bob

I'll post the loads. I'll do it later tonight.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I love my .338 Federal!!! I do not reload any longer and have no problem locating shells. I used the Fusions up until last year when I switched to the Federal Premium 210gr Nosler Partitions.
It is an often overlooked cartridge. Recoil is very light compared to its performance!!
JMHO
Dave

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Bumble Bea said:
I never looked at the ballistics for this cartridge.
I thought it was advertised as being equal to the 338 Win.mag?
No. It is a .308 that uses .338 bullets.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Bob

I have 66 loads listed in my logs. These included loads tried while making modifications to the rifle.

These loads are what I found to work better than the rest.

All are 3 shot groups and all shot after I completed the modifications.

I have two or three hundred Hornady 200 gr. SPs. I have one load that shot good out of all I tried.

46 / 4895 / CCI 200 / 200 Hornady SP. My notes indicate this load shot 1” up to 1.5".

42 / RL7 / CCI 200 / Barnes 160 gr TTSX. I have 3 shot groups between .6” and 1.6”.

49 / 748 / CCI 200 / Barnes 185 gr TTSX. I have a couple of groups in the log indicating 1” and a few tenths over and a few tenths under. This is the load I used for hunting the past few years.

The 4985 load is over the current IMR advertised max by a grain but it is a published load but I did not list where I saw it.

The 749 load is the current advertised max.

The RL7 load came from Barnes. They list the max RL7 load at 44 grains with 160 TTSX.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Nothing wrong with it, it will do the job, HOWEVER..the way these ammo manufacturers decide to produce some this month and none for the next 6 months I'd be a little nervous about anything .338 federal...just buy it in the old standard .338 WM and load it down 20%, it will be the same thing and I've never seen a shortage of 338WM anywhere anytime.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts