The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a .338 win mag barrel on a prohunter for elk. Scope mount is an encore base (one piece aluminum) and steel rings with Leopold scope. Gun sights in easily to 1-1.5" three shot groups at 200 yards using factory ammo. The problem is that the recoil breaks all of the fasteners in the scope rings,base, forearm and stock loose. Locktited everything and resighted. Now after about 10 rounds it starts throwing flyers-- all over the target a good 6"-10" north, south, east and west. Assuming it was me. I put the gun away for a few days. Shooting again, it is doing the same thing. Fasteners are holding. I thought maybe the recoil damaged the scope, so I put a brand new burris on it. Gun sighted in fine, but after some more shooting, it is doing the same thing. Could it be that the aluminum base is twisting? Here's the kicker -- my buddy started out with the exact same setup and was at the range with me everytime I shot the .338 and his gun did the exact same thing. He sent his Leopold back to the factory and they replaced it even though they could confirm no issues with the scope (great customer service). I put my Leopold on a different rifle and it is working fine. Help! I'm at wits end with this setup. It is the most pleasant gun to shoot, but this has got to stop.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Do you have the Prohunter stock on it??
If so, I would have to guess it was the bases/rings.
Boy, I could only imagine the whack that gives you!! You are a braver man than I----I just bought the .338 Federal for my Encore(Have not shot it yet)and was concerned that it would rap me.
The older I get the less I like recoil!! LOL
Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has the Prohunter stock and the 28" fluted stainless barrel. It actually is a very easy gun to shoot and I. like you, am getting less fond of recoil as I get older. With the prohunter stock, an average sized guy could easily go through at least a box of ammo before putting it down.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Weaver packages that base for TC. Personally I do not like that base. I like the steel base and rings made by Warne. I think they are the strongest, and have the most adjustment. I definitely like the longer base. If I were you I would first try swithching the base. Tom.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
I just put Leupold rings and bases on my newest Encore---Like I said I have yet to shoot it BUT I am sure they will hold up.

Dave

·
Registered
889 Posts
No doubt the Leupold bases are very strong. However for the Encore they are too short. When a base is short like that it is very hard on the scope because of the scope oscillation. And scope oscillation is the biggest problem a scope has for lasting a long time. The Warne base is longer which allows you to spread your rings out farther. Therefore making the scope set up stronger, more adaptable to different scope lengths, and the most important thing which is to reduce the height of the sine wave during the scope oscillation. Below is a picture comparing the length of the Leupold to the length of the Warne. Notice how much more adjustment you have with the Warne. There is zero adjustment with the Leupold. Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Below is a video of scope oscillation with a properly mounted scope. Just imagine how much more oscillation you would have if the rings were closer together. And the heavier the ends of the scope the more vibration you get. That is one of the best feature of a side focus parallax that very few people talk about. The side focus gets the weight off the end of the tube-therefore making it considerably stronger. Tom.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Hog
Would those longer bases work with a compact scope???
I mounted the Leupold 2-7x33mm Shotgun/muzzleloader scope on my Encore.
Thanks for the info
Dave

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Double Dog, mind if I asked what you paid for the barrel? New or used?

Also, I have a 44 Mag Super Redhawk, and I had trouble getting the scope on it to stop from sliding in the mounts. Finally just got it snugged up enough.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
Weaver packages that base for TC. Personally I do not like that base. I like the steel base and rings made by Warne. I think they are the strongest, and have the most adjustment. I definitely like the longer base. If I were you I would first try swithching the base. Tom.
I own both the Warne and Leo rings and bases for my Encore, they both work great and I will buy them again for the next barrel or 10.

I agree with you on the Warne rings and base, they are slick and work really nice.

Leo makes two different length bases for the D/D rings, short for the pistol set and long for the rifle. Both have identical mounting bolt holes.

You get a bit less adjustment with the Leos (agree with hoghead) but imo theres 4 less (1/3 less screws than Warne) screws to come loose and have a scope sliding around.

I have not had any problems with my Warne rings and bases, but I make sure to loctite them in.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I've got Weaver 410 base on all my barrels, and Leupold Quick Release Rings for Weaver bases on my scopes. They do a great job.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JH, the .338 win mag barrel was $275 new plus shipping (no tax). It is the stainless, fluted, 28" barrel.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Doubledogg

Did you get it before the rebate thing ran out? I got my 06 barrel and got 50 bucks back. I think it had to be bought by april or may 31st?

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Dogg,

I asked because I will probably have one for sale soon. Just bought a new Encore PH in 338, but don't really want that barrel. Will likely sell or trade for a 25-06 or something else I don't have yet.

With a 300 RUM in my inventory, 338 isn't something I need. One Magnum is enough for me.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot to mention that because my PH came with the .50 cal muzzleloader barrel, I also had to purchase a new forearm to use with the .338 barrel as the muzzleloader forearm doesn't work with other barrels. I didn't realize that until after I tried to assemble the gun.

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
I made the same mistake. I bought my PH as an ML too. Somewhere on a TC website, it said all PH forearms fit all PH barrels. They should have excluded ML barrels from that statement!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
+1 for warne rings & bases

1 - 20 of 23 Posts