The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PGC 2011 harvest total for Deer.
Just curious, how many of you think the # is accurate?

·
Banned
1,386 Posts
It's accurate, unless it doesn't suit your( the collective "you", not you personally S-Joe) views on the deer management program, then, of course, it will be flawed. Keystonepaul

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Anyone could have doubts on data, if they hunt the same square mile, year after year, and they haven't seen one deer "drugg" out by themselves, personally.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Susqyjoe said:
I believe it's as accurate as it's gonna get given the limited data us hunters supply them with. Honestly, even if we would double the reported kills, they would still use the present formula, and it's been proven to be accurate.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Someone on another thread (under the deer mgmt /AR /HR areas I think it was) about "accuracy" verses "precision".

Quackmaster said it best in regard to the limited data provided by hunters. The more data they have, the more accurate and precise the kill estimate can be. Right now they have limited data and have to extrapolate a lot. It would be better for all involved, including the deer, if they had a lot of data and had to extrapolate a little.

Best idea I've seen proposed is mandatory reporting of tag status for EVERY tag, whether anything was killed or not.

In today's world, any "excuse" for not being able to do this is just hooey. Virtually every citizen in the Commonwealth has some form of access to a computer or touch tone phone. I think in most cases these arguments are just their form of protest, they have an anti-PGC attitude and want to be parochial about it and say "I don't have a computer" or "I don't have a phone". Okay then, I guess 300,000 of those deer must have been killed by true, old-school Amish.

For the few that truly don't have such access, or are (much) older and not comfortable with technology, they do have access to a regular telephone, provide a 1-800 number where they can phone in their information which is recorded, and for these limited number of cases pay someone to listen to the recording and type in the data.

If people have problems with the estimates and the process, then let's advance the system into the 21st century and report all tags, used or not. The P.O.S. system has a database behind it and with such software systems, they can add a feature such as this. Add an optional $0.25 fee on every license (like the option on your 1040 to donate to the presidential campaign fee) for "improved deer reporting system". I'd donate the cost of a gumball to the cause.

And as hunters we should look in the mirror. Baiting is stigmatized, night shooting is stigmatized, but the attitude toward kill reports is cavalier, at best.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
Susqyjoe said:
This question has been posted since HR/ar started. Some believe, some don't. Me, I personaly don't care one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
23,863 Posts
TBO2 said:
Susqyjoe said:
This question has been posted since HR/ar started. Some believe, some don't. Me, I personaly don't care one way or the other.
AMEN Tom!

·
Banned
4,279 Posts
Susqyjoe said:
My calculations indicate that it's short about 17 deer. Buck should be 8 more & doe 9. All in all...pretty accurate.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Its just a number. They had to put something out there. Heck even the pgc don't know what the real number is

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
As most say it's probably accurate enough, but it could be a lot better. What bugs me is the shamefull hunter report rate and the toothless enforcement law.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
john is there a popcorn allowance for just us regular visitor, or is it just for the mods? didn't we go through this about 6 weeks ago?

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Perhaps some people did discuss it before Perhaps others still wish to discuss it, or missed it the first time.

Perhaps if the regular visitors who manage to keep tabs of all of the topics of conversation over the last two months could provide a link to the other thread then some people who are new, or non-regular or irregular visitors could also read what others had to say on a subject that interested them enough to comment and discuss.

Perhaps that's a better way to recruit and keep new members to the forum and to hunting in general, than to criticize or ridicule them as a reason to sit back and stuff their arteries with popcorn grease.

Or has all that been discussed before?

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It is hogwash. We don't even have a deer pool at work anymore because few people even see a deer. The ones that do get them get them on private land. How many folks with camps around here even come to camp? Very few. See more people in turkey season at camps then deer. Most don't even bother to come to camp in deer season. A camp right down the road had one person in it this year. Saw 6 cars there getting ready for spring gobbler this weekend. Most camps are completely empty in deer season.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts