The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The story behind it... When I was a kid, I got to use my dads 32 Spl that he got after he came back from Korea. I was never able to get a deer in front of it. While I was in the service it was stolen. I thought it would be neat to take a deer with one. For the last couple years I passed on a few I saw. Either they were scoped, or beaten, or I just passed only to go back later and they were gone. I saw this one and it went to the counter with me. It was a slight restoration project but, what the heck.

Saw nothing until this one and 3 others showed up out of the pines at about 70 yards. She was in the lead and looked larger than the next two. They started heading my way and I picked a spot between trees and waited. I was going to give them more time to close up, but they stopped at about 50 yds, she was quartering towards me and I figured it could get better, or it could get a lot worse, so the little carbine barked, she gave a little kip and took off.

The exit wound is about where the stick is pointing. The entrance is a little higher than I like, but I can live with it.

It was a double lung with pretty good damage inside. She ran no more than 50 yds probably closer to 35. About 4 strides she was wobbling and then she dropped.

Stats, 1949 mod 94 32 Winchester Special, Hornady FTX 165 over 31gr IMR 4895

·
Registered
12 Posts
That's an awesome story. I have a 32 special also that my great grandfather bought my dad when for his first year of hunting in 1970. He also bought my dad a box of Winchester bullets for the gun back then. My dad killed his first deer with that gun from a bullet from that box and I also killed my first deer with that gun from the same box of bullets. We currently have it retired, but god willing when I have a son he will do the same.

·
Super Moderator
27,526 Posts
Nice, congrats!

My dad also had one that he bought when he came home from Korea. My nephew killed a doe with it last season.

Dad used that gun until he bought his model 88 in '63, which he used until he died. Both guns are treasured in our family. My brother has the 94, and I have the 88. He died in 2001 and the 88 hasn't been out since. It will be soon as I get back.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Congratulations! I'm taking my grandfather's Model 94 in .32 Spl into the woods next Saturday, with my son for his first deer hunt.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI, I took the deer apart and from what I see, do not be at all concerned if you want to use FTX's. The terminal performance is there.

Entry was in the shoulder meat, the bullet hit a rib under the shoulder and the entrance wound was 1.25-1.5 inches at the ribcage, it went through a lot of deer gelling lungs, and broke a rib on the way out with a 2 in long hole in the off side ribs.

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Congrats

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Yep, one of over 15 calibers I knew hunters used, personally, to take a deer.
Of course, I was using a 35 Rem way back, when I knew the 32 Spl hunter, also getting deer, and having buddies say I needed a more powerful rifle.
Never did get around to trying 15 calibers !

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mus42tang said:
Never did get around to trying 15 calibers !
A challenge!!!!!

I have killed deer with 30-06 (2 rifles), 50, 54, 32 spl. Since it is trying calibers, not rifles, if I can count family that I loaded the ammo for that has killed deer, 243, 25-06, and 30-30.
Hmmm 7, I have work to do.

I was kind of amazed myself that a non magnum old cartridge in a old rifle without a 2000.00 scope managed to penetrate the hide of these whitetail. Must be a fluke

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
springfreak said:
Wish I had the money to own 15 different calibers.
Bullets are cheap, its the dang rifles that slow ya down.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts