The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a good starting load for a .32 percussion ML? I am used to .50 and .55 and this tiny customer arrived without any instructions relative to ball size / patch / powder charge / cap # = me questioning where to begin.

:help:

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
if you are plinking or hunting squirrels, then 15-20 gr of 3f should be fine. I shoot 30 gr in mine because it gets used for woodchucks mostly and i'm good out to 100 yards. 30 gr will give you basically .22 mag fps and energy and its a bit much for squirrels unless shot in the head. try different loads, patches and lube, your gun will tell what it wants and likes.

·
Registered
6,775 Posts
Can anyone recommend a good starting load for a .32 percussion ML? I am used to .50 and .55 and this tiny customer arrived without any instructions relative to ball size / patch / powder charge / cap # = me questioning where to begin.

:help:

Never could get the results with a .310 roundball that I could with a .315. I've since gone to a .319. But I don't really see an advantage to it over the .315 .... other than I pour my own. A 32 is fun caliber to have.

One chart ( I have no idea what the barrel length, ball size or patch ect was) shows

25 grain....FFF Goex 1874fps @349ft pounds at the muzzle
30grain [email protected] 376 ft pounds
40 grains....................2072fps @429ft pounds.

Hopefully that gives you a basis to get started.

·
Registered
6,426 Posts
My TC Cherokee 32 cal likes 20grs of FFFg and thats plenty.Like any muzzy ya gotta find what it likes as far as RB size,patch thickness,and powder amount.Don't be afraid to drop to 10grs and go up.Here is what 20grs does.
Pictures 343 by t410er, on Flickr
DSCF2122 by t410er, on Flickr

1 - 6 of 6 Posts