The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the prefered choice for a plinking flintlock, .32 or .36. I want something for just plinking with at home. I have heard the .36 does not foul as fast. Any opinions?

·
Registered
12,136 Posts
I would not make fouling an issue relative to the caliber you chose. Fouling is mostly a product of the powder quality, weather (humidity), the quality of the barrel to include the smothness of the lands and groves and the lube you use. If fouling is realy an issue I would reccomend that you look into obtaining a flinter with U cut groves in the barrel. Rice makes them and they are super easy to clean and they do not foul easily.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Fouling is an old myth.I have both and neither foul any more than any other caliber.
I really like both.The 32 is a great squirrel gun.The 36 is also but is more overkill on squirrels.The 36 would be great on turkey size game.
If its going to be a strictly a plinking muzzy,I'd choose the 32 for the simple reason of powder comsumption.My 32 likes 20grs where my 36 likes 40grs.
The 32 might be a little more wind sensitive.
You won't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
ditto. If you shoot too much powder, ie some is still burning when the ball leaves the muzzle, then you do get increased fouling. Increased fouling can also be caused by a patch ball combination that is too loose.

I have had both 32's and 36's. My 32 shoots great with a 38 S&W case full of 3fg. We can shoot quarter size groups at 25 yds offhand. However, a 32 is a bit light for wood chucks and some other vermin. We have used the 32 on rats.

A lot of folks with 32's annd 36's shoot buckshot from their guns. Much cheaper.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies to the question. I will buy whatever caliber I run across first, .32 or .36.

As far as vermin go we had a fox in the front yard on Tuesday. She got 3 chickens! The wife was weeding the flower bed and the front door was open. One chicken ran into the kitchen and hid in the pantry, 2 went into the laundry room and three hid in the front porch.

My wife was not impressed.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
You're thinking is quite correct. Whichever caliber makes itself available will provide years of enjoyable shooting with a flintlock.

I decided that a .36 caliber was my shooter of choice, so that is what I built. I've not harvested squat with it, but shooting it is something quite unique. It punches holes in amazing groups at 50 yards if I do my part, and one of these squirrel seasons I will carry it afield for the first time to harass bushytails.

Whichever you choose, .32 or .36, you will smile inwardly and outwardly each and every time you rest that front sight on a bull's eye 50 yards down range, and smugly showoff the inch or two group you accomplish. This flintlock smugness takes a bit of practice and experience.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I prefer the 36 caliber over the 32 calibeer. I like to shoot my 36 caliber to 100 yards. With alot of shooting between 50 to 75 yards. I also like to ground hog hunt with my 36 caliber.

IMO the 32 is just a bit light in the britches for longer shots(past 40 yards or so) on a bit larger game like ground hogs. And also the wind plays real havoc with that smaller 32 caliber ball at distances past 30 or 40 yards. The 36 holds up pretty good to 75 yards or so in a bit of wind. so I think you get just a bit more.

Sort of like comparing a sub sonic 22 LR cartridge to a 22 magnum IMO.

I have a custom made 36 caliber Southern Poor Boy rifle. and I really like the rifle. It handles like a dream. I am strongly considering having TVM make me another 36 caliber FL after I recieve my Early Lancaster in 50 caliber that I ordered in Jan.

Only problem with my current poor boy is that it is percussion, and I want a flinter. So I will probably sell the percussion after I receive my Lancaster. However my rifle is LH so it is not something you would be interested in. Tom.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
a .36 cal you can use ready made buck shot for shotgun reloading, not sure what number but it is a good match to the .36.........bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts