The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience or reccomendations for a .32 or .36 caliber caplock for target shooting and Squirrel hunting?

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
IMO, either is an excellent choice.

I use a .32 caplock for squirrels. Alot of fun. 25 grain FFF, .010 patch, .319 RB. I've used Hornady .315's and gotten good accuracy also with the same powder/patch combo. Keep my squirrel shots within 35 yards..

·
Registered
12,139 Posts
32 works great, the 36 carries energy and bucks wind a slight bit better, but not enough better that most folks can tell the difference.

I had two 32's. One a side lock with dst's and still have the in-line. Both were very accurate.

I have a 40 cal small game rifle in the works.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I use a .36 I built a few years ago from a TOTW collection of parts. It is a shooter, but my old eyes are demanding that I search out squirrels with bigger and bigger heads!

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
BerksCoflinter said:
I use a .36 I built a few years ago from a TOTW collection of parts. It is a shooter, but my old eyes are demanding that I search out squirrels with bigger and bigger heads!
what load are you shooting in that for squirrels?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I get my best groups with 30 grains of FFFg, .350 ball, and .015 patch. I use 4 to 1 water to Ballistol dry patches.

·
Registered
6,112 Posts
DJC said:
Anyone have any experience or reccomendations for a .32 or .36 caliber caplock for target shooting and Squirrel hunting?
Thanks for starting this thread. Talk about coincidence I was just looking for a .32 caliber online yesterday for doing some squirrel hunting. I am not sure if I want percussion or flint though. I'm looking at Pedersoli right now. Anyone have experience with them?

BTW; DJC, Not trying to hijack the thread from you. I'm just trying to get more ideas and info on the same subject.

·
Registered
12,139 Posts
If you are considering a squirrel rifle, keep this in mind. There is little difference between an inexpensive Spanish lock and an expensive custom percussion lock. Other than trigger pull, they are nearly identical in speed and other respects.

On the other hand, flint locks are miles and miles apart between production and custom. Even Traditions makes a very accurate round ball barrel. It is the ignition and trigger that matter most. An unreliable flint lock makes the gun an expensive nightmare. A well tuned flint lock is pure joy. Traditions locks vary in quality from unit to unit. They can be quite reliable,,,, or not.

Another factor with both Spanish and Italian made rifles, is the drop of the butt stock. A Buddy recieved a 50 cal flintlock long rifle. I don't recall if it was Traditions of Pedersoli. He is only 5' 8" there is so little drop to the butt stock that he must lay his head over to be able to aim on the sights. We had to put higher sights on the gun just to make it so he could hold and aim it normally. I am talking sights a good 5/8 inch above the barrel flats.

Handle the guns. Shoulder them and take note of the drop.

A gun that doesn't fit and makes shooting it difficult is a lousy investment. A shallow drop can sometimes be alleviated by higher sights. But don't be taken in by fancy shiny brass etc, into taking a gun that doesn't fit. Squirrels don't care about inlays and butt plates etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What about the TC Cherokee and Seneca???

and are these gun's parts interchangeable?

·
Registered
12,139 Posts
I have handled them in the shop, but never shot one. Some of the parts are indeed interchangeable. TC sights generally left a lot to be desired. Some parts are indeed interchangeable, but not all. while TC percussion guns are pretty much first rate, the barrels themselves, aren't quite as good as a traditions barrel for round ball accuracy.

CVA made a 32 cal squirrel rifle with double set triggers and really nice rifling. It was quite light weight. Neither the CVA Squirrel rifle, the Cherokee or the Seneca have been made in the last decade. CVA had a single trigger Varmint side lock in 36 that comes up on the on-line auctions about once a month. They were made in limited numbers. Even used and out of production, such guns often bring much more than when they were new.

The CVA Bobcat plastic stock percussion rifle can be picked up for under $100 and the barrel can be lined to 32 or 36 caliber, for less than what some of the new guns bring in those calibers.

Senecas and Cherokees seem to be bringing a premium price right now.

·
Registered
24,786 Posts
I have a TC Cherokee in .32 and a .45 barrel for it.. One of the originals with a set trigger..later models did not have the set trigger... Both marked barrels TC Cherokee. Don't know if any Senaca parts fit.

Can't use it any longer with my eyes going the other way..but it was fun while it lasted...

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I have both.
Have a TC Cherokee in 32 cal and a TC seneca in 36 cal.
Have killed squirrels with both.The 36 is better suited for Turkey and that size game.
The 32 is about perfect for squirrels,rabbit,etc.Save up and get a Cherokee!You won't be sorry!

·
Registered
12,731 Posts
I use to own a a custom T/C Cherokee .32 caplock in extra fancy wood and high gloss bluing and double triggers, wow was it a beauty!! Weighed close to nothing as well. Needed money and sold it like so many a fine firearm I have sold in the past

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
I have a "Turner Kirkland" ,40 cal percussion, 40" barrel. It is a shooter .395 PRB over 30 gr FFF. The only problem is the when the breechplug was installed the "runout " is horizontal instead of vertical. The rear sight sits off center a little but it does a fine job and the "tree rats" don't know any better.

It is "convertiable" when I got it back in the 70's I got both flint and percussion locks and the drum. The frizzen was half soled with that nasty stuff that made it a real sparker
As it is to small for deer I leave it percussion for a squirrel rifle that is fun to shoot.

I have both round ball and hollow base "maxi" style molds for it. If anyone ever needs .395 of either give me a shout and I can cast a few up for you to try.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
If you are into an old style longrifle for the traditional side of shooting them bushys, and want both capper and flinter, heres one for Ya. Has the Hatfield Flint and a Dixie Caplock. This things been up for a week with no bids. Email the seller an offer. He responded to me pretty quick about another BP rifle. This smokepole would be fun for hunting them grey little tree rats!... flintlock in the morning, have lunch, and capper in the afternoon.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=325822504

·
Registered
154 Posts
The Pedersoli Scout Carbine in .32 flintlock is very nice.

It is light, accurate and short enough that it is nice to carry in thicker brush. Get the universal unbreakable ramrod Dixie sells for your field ramrod if you buy a .32

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
picked up a nice original remington this fall in 36 cal, percussion, and a heavy(1 1/4") barrel 26" long. shot it alot a month ago and i think it will be just the ticket for squirrels. its a bit heavy, 11 pounds, but it feels real nice. still got time to get out with it this year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts