The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost made a huge mistake opening day of bear. I inadvertently loaded my .270 Remington 700 with .308 win ammo 180gr shells. I won't go into how I made the boneheaded move, but I definately did it. Thankfully I did not fire the rifle, and noticed my error when I unloaded for the day. Anybody know or have a theory on what would have happened had I fired the gun? Any bashing is deserved.

·
Registered
748 Posts
IF you could get the round "chambered" and was unfortunate enough to "fire"...consider what would happen when you try to send a .308 diameter bullet down a .277 tube at high pressures.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The round was chambered with no problem. Had four rounds behind it. Thank god I did not get a shot opportunity. I still can't believe I made the mistake.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
'ol P.O. Ackely experimented with oversized bullets blow'n up rifles. I'd have to dig out the books to make sure, but IIRC he throated a 30 cal barrel so 338 and 35 bullets would chamber. The rounds were fired without any noticeable increase in pressure. His theory, the bullet simply swaged to the bore diameter.

I won't tell you who, but I know a guy that fired a 308 Win in a 280 Imp. chamber. It didn't work out too well. The windage was alright, but was about 2" low!

Bill

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wildbill,

http://thedonovan.com/archives/2008/12/270_winchester.html

Found the above on some other hapless fool who managed to do the same and fire the round off. Apparently no harm done but sure am glad I did not experience it. Not sure if the gun Howa vs. Rem 700 would make a difference. Hope I never find out from personal experience.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I saw the results of this exact mistake a few years ago in New York. A hunter loaded .308 cartridges in his Ruger M77 Mk II lightweight in .270 Win. He fired the rifle, and the rifle was destroyed. The bullet did exit the barrel, at a velocity I can only imagine. The Ruger wented the gas into the magazine well, which expanded it sideways and split the stock (walnut stock) in 2. The magazine box is pretty stiff spring steel, and it was bowed out on both sides. The bolt could not be opened with a hammer. The shooter got some stuff in his eye, because he was not wearing glasses. Had he been wearing glasses, he would have been uninjured. He probably ruined his underwear! I did not see it happen, but I did get a good, long look at the rifle afterwards.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a feeling I would have had a similar experience to the one you told of. Doubt I would have been as lucky as the example in my previous post. I guarantee I will never make the same mistake again.

·
Registered
850 Posts
i shot a 2506 threw a 264 mag did not hurt gun but had to beat bolt open and extract case pieces from chamber,98 mauser action performed as should deflecting everything away from face.actually hit the groundhog too.lesson learned never have two different boxes of shells open on bench at same time.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I was with a guy huntin and put .300 savage in his .308 Mod. 99. but as said lucky him didn't see a shooter. Found mistake in time and hunted rest of day with right bullets....later

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
b&ghuntre said:
I was with a guy huntin and put .300 savage in his .308 Mod. 99. but as said lucky him didn't see a shooter. Found mistake in time and hunted rest of day with right bullets....later
i know a guy who almost did the same thing. i never hunted with him before and he said he had a 308 and no shells. i was hunting with a 308 so i handed him the shells and he started to load them in his old rusty savage 99. for some reason i asked to look at it and under all the rust on the barrel i saw .300 savage. i told him and he said, oh ya, thats right its a 300 savage like it was no big deal. i never hunted with him again.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Saw a guy fire his 7mm mag at the range yesterday with a laser bore sighter still in the muzzle>>>>

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
My cousin fired a 300 savage round out of a 284. Did not damage the gun. He had it magnafluxed afterwards to be safe. My brother in law fired a 30/06 with the laser bore sighter still in the barrel which resulted in this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts