The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I don't own either one, but if I had to decide I'd choose a .308. Lighter recoil and plenty enuff for deer. I'm partial to a 7mm-08, it's a necked down .308.

·
Registered
821 Posts
You can't go wrong with either caliber. There are a lot of ammo options for both calibers. If I had to choose one I'd use the 308. I like the lighter recoil you get with the 308. But I got my first buck with a 30.06 and I don't recall giving a second thought to the recoil when I shot it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have been using a .308 cal. for over 30 years, more than enough gun for Pa. Remington or Winchester pointed soft point 150 grain shoot best out of my Browning lever rifle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I agree. I own both. 308 will give you everything you need and more in a deer getter. I have used Remington Corelocks for years and never failed. Deer go bang flop.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Personally I would use the 308 over the 30-06 but that is only because it is chambered in the pre64 Winchester 88 in my gun cabinet.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I own both the 30-06 is my first and favorite. Of course my 308s have bad ju-ju s. I can seem to see a bit of game when I carry my 308s.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Ca Lunker said:
You can't go wrong with either caliber. There are a lot of ammo options for both calibers. If I had to choose one I'd use the 308.
......... Which I did. There have been at least 6 rifles in .308 Win that have lived in my safe over the years. Couple of them still do and I can't think of a reason to ever be without AT LEAST one.

Only .30-06 I ever owned I bought as a donor action for something I needed worse than a .30-06. No flies on the old '06. I just have zero use or need for one.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You want a long action or a short action? Either one.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I've been using a 308 and my dad has been using an 06 for the last 25 years. I can tell you that save for one deer, I have not had to track any that I have shot. Like DGD said, bang flop. I actually stood there slack-jawed when my big buck went running off... 15 yards. My dad on the other hand has only had a few drop in their tracks, and those were the ones that he tapped in the head. All the rest have run, 50 yards up to 200. And most all were double lung shots.

I love his gun, it's a pre-64 mod70, but I don't think I would ever want to take it out. Deer hunting with my 308 is nothing but work. Shoot and then it's time to gut and drag.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
There is not a spits worth of difference with bullets in the 165 and under range. The 06 really takes over when using 180 and up

·
Registered
253 Posts
I vote 30-06. Solely on the fact that more people I run into have one so if ever I needed a round or two I could borow. Not saying it's better but everyone I hunt with has one. Plus there's a nestalgia from childhood of my fathers 30-06.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ah the old "do you like blonde or dirty blonde?" question. I kid, but for whitetail rounds, they are very close ballistically. Felt recoil may be slightly less in the .308 but that depends more on rifle weight and fit. My Browning BLR in .308 kicks every bit as much as the 760 in .30-06, but it's more of a "snap" than the 06 is more of a "push". Like someone else said, the 06 wins out at higher bullet weights. Both calibers will kill anything in the lower 48 and I love them both. Some good info here:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Ha, you got to be real old to remember getting an M1 or the "30-06" rifle.
And the ones getting the original M14 or "308" are getting old too.
And only few around to remember why the M14 was issued and the M1's replaced.
Yep, only a few around to remember that. And watch young ones argue over which one is "substantially" better. And know why both became popular deer rifles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have owned 2 - 308's in my lifetime - and regret selling both for one reason or another! Went to a .270 Win for hunting out west.. obtaining another .308 is on my bucket list.. always had a love for one..

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I started with an 06 so I really like them. Never had a 308 but wouldn't hesitate to use one. After about 35 yrs hunting so far (some out of state), either one would have sufficed for anything I've shot.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I own both and have used both. If you reload and do a lot of shooting, the .308 gives similar performance using a lot less powder. With 180 gr bullets, the '06 chronos about 100 fps faster.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Stikbow said:
I don't own either one, but if I had to decide I'd choose a .308. Lighter recoil and plenty enuff for deer. I'm partial to a 7mm-08, it's a necked down .308.
I own a remington MT RIFLE in 7MM-08.Sweetshooting gun.More than enough for WHITETAIL.
I would pick a 308 over the 30-06 for WHITETAIL.Never cared for the 0-6 and i own a Rem.BDL in 0-6 and it is a real accurate shooter.I also own a 308 WINCHESTER CLASSIC,love the gun.Just my OPPINION.

·
Registered
20,883 Posts
I've owned several lightweight .308's over the years and would never be without one.I always loaded 165gr interlocks and more recently 165gr accubonds.Performance was always consistant.Nine years ago I bought a Kimber Montanna in .308 the day after my son was born.I've been using it ever since and couldn't imagine a season without that rifle.This year he decided he needed to use it so I loaded up some 125gr ballistic tips and accubonds.He shot about 200 rounds through it this summer so I guess it's officially his now.As soon as I can find another one,I'll have to buy it.With that said,nottin wrong with a 30-06.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I have a couple 308-'06s laying around the place and on occasion I'll drag one out if for nothing else than just for old time's sake, I don't have a preference of one over the other, they both work if I do my part.

Two years before my son started hunting in '85 I built him a 308W on a Mod 70 SA with 20" LWT barrel in a MPI stock. He's taken quite a few 'tails with it over the years. In fact I liked the little bugger so much I built myself one, but today I've rebarreled it in 270-08 Improved.

308 or '06? I really don't have a preference of one over the other.

Bill

1 - 20 of 45 Posts