The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, any of you guys use a 180 grain bullet in your 308, and if you do what is your favorite bullet in that weight?

·
Registered
167 Posts
My dad uses Remington core lokt SP in that grain. That's all he'll use.

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
I normally use 180 RN Hornady in my pump. Lately I haven been able to find any, so there's a box of Sierra sitting on the shelf right now.
I seldom use factory ammo, prefer to make my own.
I have used 180 Hornady BTSP in my 30-06 for elk. Have 3 boxes loaded up which should last me the rest of my life. I doubt if I'll ever hunt them again unless I get luck and win the PA elk tag.😁

Reactions: Young Timer

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I have never used anything but a 150 grain coreloct bullet in my .308 and I have laid a whole bunch of animals low with that round over the years.

·
Super Moderator
6,805 Posts
If you hit a sapling an 180 grain bullet is not going to help you.
Agreed. I remember something from forty years ago….I was going to check my sights on my .30-30 Marlin. I set out a cardboard box, paced off 100 yards, and got a decent rest. There was some goldenrod in the scope between me and the target, but wasn’t concerned….180 grain bullets out of a “brush busting “ .30-30., ….shouldn’t be an issue.

I took 3 shots, and walked down to check the target. It looked like it had been shot with several round of OOO buckshot. Not one bullet stayed intact, and that was only going through goldenrod.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I started with 168gr USGI Match ammo, and found that at 100 yards all was well, but at 300-700 yards, my groups became patterns. I dissected a Navy Mk316 Mod0 round to get a recipe for a 175gr Sierra Match King bullet and IMR 4064, and it tightened things up considerably. I am am now working on a load for 180gr Sierra Match King bullets to see if I can further tighten up my groups. I am shooting for accuracy, and have not been too concerned with terminal performance, so I have been using Match bullets fro all my loads.

I'm shooting a Savage Arms 10 FCP-HS with a 24" 1:10 twist barrel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have a 20" R200 in 308 Win. My primary load is 165gr SGK with 44grs of RL15 but coincidentally the 180gr Hornady SST with 42grs of RL15 shoots to the same point of impact. In an article on Knowledge base they state because the SST is primarily a longrange bullet that the reduced velocities of the 308 Win make the 180gr SST a good bullet to use.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just loaded some 180 SST's, but haven't shot them yet. Maybe this week......
Look like they'd drill right thru a sapling. LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts