The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am probably going to go bear hunting this year because bear season is extended through the first week of deer in 3d. I normally don't hunt bear. The only big game rifle I own is a 3030. What loads would you guys recommended?

·
Registered
10,893 Posts
Personally I'd be shooting a 170 grain bullet of some flavor. Bears are notorious for getting up and running even after being knocked down. A good rule of thumb, even if it goes right down, is to shoot again. As long as it was still moving at all then keep shooting regardless of what you're shooting.

·
Registered
703 Posts
kudu58 said:
Personally I'd be shooting a 170 grain bullet of some flavor. Bears are notorious for getting up and running even after being knocked down. A good rule of thumb, even if it goes right down, is to shoot again. As long as it was still moving at all then keep shooting regardless of what you're shooting.
My black bear outfitter in New Brunswick, Canada gave me some good advice a few years ago..."Don't fall in love with the action" meaning shoot it again just to be sure! If it's moving, it needs another round. Tracking a wounded bear isn't fun.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
I run 170gr partitions in my 30-30. They work great on deer, and will handle a bear easily. However, I got a couple hundred of them cheap, so it was cost effective. At 30-30 velocities, you can get away with cup n core bullets, and they won't blow up or separate. For factory ammo, if federal makes a 170gr load in the fusion line, I'd grab that and never look back. If not, good old 170gr corelockts will get the job done. Bears aren't hard to kill, you just need to get a bullet in the right place, like the heart/ lungs, or the central nervous system. Hit em there n they won't go far.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Borden811 said:
I run 170gr partitions in my 30-30. They work great on deer, and will handle a bear easily. However, I got a couple hundred of them cheap, so it was cost effective. At 30-30 velocities, you can get away with cup n core bullets, and they won't blow up or separate. For factory ammo, if federal makes a 170gr load in the fusion line, I'd grab that and never look back. If not, good old 170gr corelockts will get the job done. Bears aren't hard to kill, you just need to get a bullet in the right place, like the heart/ lungs, or the central nervous system. Hit em there n they won't go far.

+1 170Gr Nosler Partitions... You betcha.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
No. They're a cup n core bullet, along the same lInes as the corelockt, or the federal blue box ammo.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Just use what you use for deer and you'll be fine. Just keep pumpin them full of lead if you have the chance. This goes for any round.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
NepaGuy said:
What about silver tips? Aren't they suppose to penetrate better.
It's been my experience that silver tips are very soft compared to other older style cup and core bullets. I would stay away from them. The 170 grain Remington corlokts are much better (and are still the most accurate of all factory offerings out of my 24 inch Marlin) but I've had them separate in deer. It looks like the 170 gr Nosler Partition is designed for the 30-30, but I would be concerned about performance at low velocity at longer range. Probably fine at your average PA woods range.

You didn't mention which 30-30 you will be using. What is the length of the barrel?

You could always jump on the Buffalo Bore band wagon: Buffalo Bore 190 grain 30-30

I've used their 45-70 offering with some success.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Macs' Mountain said:
NepaGuy said:
What about silver tips? Aren't they suppose to penetrate better.
It's been my experience that silver tips are very soft compared to other older style cup and core bullets. I would stay away from them. The 170 grain Remington corlokts are much better (and are still the most accurate of all factory offerings out of my 24 inch Marlin) but I've had them separate in deer. It looks like the 170 gr Nosler Partition is designed for the 30-30, but I would be concerned about performance at low velocity at longer range. Probably fine at your average PA woods range.

You didn't mention which 30-30 you will be using. What is the length of the barrel?

You could always jump on the Buffalo Bore band wagon: Buffalo Bore 190 grain 30-30

I've used their 45-70 offering with some success.
I have a win 94 with a 16" barrel. It a trapper carbine model from the mid 90s. It was my fist big game rifle.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Well, with 16 inches, your giving up allot of velocity. I take it you don't hand-load?

I would try the following:

- Winchester Power Max Bonded Ammunition 30-30 Winchester 170 Grain Protected Hollow Point

- Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 30-30 Winchester 170 Grain Nosler Partition

- Buffalo Bore Ammunition 30-30 Winchester 190 Grain Jacketed Flat Nose

As a fallback, if none of those shoot any good in your gun, you can go with the regular 170 grain offerings from Federal, Remington, Winchester.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Macs' Mountain said:
Well, with 16 inches, your giving up allot of velocity. I take it you don't hand-load?

I would try the following:

- Winchester Power Max Bonded Ammunition 30-30 Winchester 170 Grain Protected Hollow Point

- Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 30-30 Winchester 170 Grain Nosler Partition

- Buffalo Bore Ammunition 30-30 Winchester 190 Grain Jacketed Flat Nose

As a fallback, if none of those shoot any good in your gun, you can go with the regular 170 grain offerings from Federal, Remington, Winchester.
My gun is deadly accurate with 150gr REM corelocks. People take bears with handguns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts