The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyony reload 303 British. I was at Bass Pro and did not see any bullets, dies or brass for the 303. I just aquired the rifle and need some help.

·
Registered
695 Posts
My load is the speer 150gr spitzer SP with 39gr of IMR 3031. It shoots great out of my sporterized 303. I got my dies and bullets at Cabelas.
Hope this helps and good luck.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HUNTINED
what caliber is listed on the Speer box. I am having trouble matching the 303 to a bullit box?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Remember reading somewhere that there was a pretty big difference in bore diameters in alot of the rifles. remember reading try .311 and .312. Anyone else hear this.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
John Barsness has a good article on the .303 in the current issue of Handloader....Like his, my Number One has a .314" bore...I use a Hornady bullet that runs .312 with acceptable accuracy...John notes that some .303s will shoot certain .308" bullets, something I've not tried...

I did some limited testing with mine last year and will post the load which I settled on (it's at camp) when I go up this weekend....

Bore diameters do run .310-.314....

Fellow in Canada makes bullets in several diameters....I'll give you his contact info if you like....prices are on the high side, IMO, but, then again, they're custom bullets....

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I had two all original Enfield no.5 MK1 "Jungle carbines". When I would eject the spent brass I'd notice the shoulder was pushed front on both of them almost like they were Ackley improved! Of course they weren't because if they had been the change in the brass would have been much more noticeable. But it made me wonder about those Enfield chamber specs.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I ordered some new brass and .311 bullets as mentioned above. .312 were on back order,
i'll try both when they come in,
Thanks

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
My load is 41.5 VV-N140 and the Hornady .312 174 gr. in W-W cases with a WLR primer....right from the Vihtavuori handbook...shoots consistent inch and a half, 3 shot groups @ 100.....sometimes will do an inch or a tad better....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts