The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal,is win still making it?All I can find is Norma and Hornady for over 2 bucks a piece.I called midway and the guy there told me they stopped chambering guns in that caliber lol.

·
Super Moderator
8,039 Posts
I haven't had to buy any for a while.

Honestly, the Norma stuff is probably worth it, and I'd pay that for Norma way before I would for Hornady. I use Hornady brass and it's good, but Norma is better.

Brass as a whole is not cheap now. Good brass is even moreso going in that direction cost-wise.

A good place to watch for deals is Shooter's Pro Shop. I get brass (Nosler brass) from them every time I have some spare cash and they happen to get something in a chambering I use. You can often get really good prices, if they turn up some for the chamberings you need.

I had a lot of issues with Win-stamped 300WSM brass and gave up on it, to be honest. Mostly cracked necks.

I use Win brass in my 270 Winchester (not WSM) and it's been fine.

If you're pressed for time, go with the Norma. They make REALLY good brass. Bump the shoulder as little as your rifle will allow, and anneal every few load cycles and that stuff will last about forever.

·
Registered
21,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've always used win in the 300wsm but the last batch all started to crack down the neck.I don't mind paying a little more but I don't want to pay 50bucks for 25 cases either.

·
Super Moderator
8,039 Posts
That's honestly where the cost is for retail anymore.

The only thing you can do is look for deals or "seconds" at SPS.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Like TDD said, Norma is worth it, it's the best 300wsm brass on the market. The 300wsm is my favorite cartridge and believe me, I shoot it a lot. The last batch of brass I bought was 270wsm, necked it up with a 30 Cal expander and then then fired it. 270 Norma at that time was like $.40 or so a case cheaper. And it works great. I use it for competition and there is no issues with accuracy or longevity

·
Super Moderator
8,039 Posts
This is also why 7WSM is expensive as hades. You can't (easily) form it from the other WSM's because they changed the neck/shoulder just a hair to prevent mistakes.

It can still be formed, but it's a pain in the hind end.

I've seen plain old Winchester brass for the 7WSM for sale for $2/ea. That's insane, but if you can't get it anywhere else, you pay to play.

Rumor has it that Nosler's brass is made by Norma. I can't confirm it, but it wouldn't shock me even a little if that were true.

·
Registered
5,796 Posts
Sometimes its a blessing when some cheap manufactures quit making our favorite brass and we have to buy the better stuff. I use a lot of 284 brass due to my 25 and 6mm wildcats off of the 284 case. In my area we all used the Winchester brass for years and my buddy with a gunshop who chambered all of these always said no problem getting brass. Then after Sandy Hook we could not get Winchester Brass and had to get the good stuff, best thing ever happened because the Winchester brass sucked and we was to cheap and hard headed to change. You will not go wrong buying good brass.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
There's going to be some big problems even more so than it is with all of the newer cartridge casings for some time to come, it looks like it's going to get worse than it already is.I also got sick of every time there"'s a gun control scare the shelves get cleaned off in about five minutes and now that the normal producers are owned by Wall Street Criminals they've figured out that if you want their brass pay full price factory is about the only way your getting it, then they use the disquise word "seasonal product" for lots of old stanbys. I've gotten rid of just about all my rifles chambered in these new cartridges and switched over to two standard magnums 7 & 300 win mag and 25/06...anything built off the /06 and 308 casings hopefully will never be hard to find, but who knows. I'll sacrifice 100-200 fps NOT to go crazy looking for shooting, getting to be a real pain looking !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts