The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 300 RUM last spring and shot a couple different factory loads thru it(Nosler custom, Federal 180g TB, Rem 180g level 3) and the Federals grouped the best which I ended up using this year, BUT...

I used these loads on a sitka blacktail (340 y shot) and a PA buck (75y) and the deer didn't drop on the spot. The blacktail took a quartering toward me shot thru shoulder exiting opposite side by hind leg and still required a coup de grace shot as it got up.
The whitetail was broadside thru chest destroying 3-4 ribs on both sides. He was dead but still ran 75y.

My question is which bullet(s) should I look at trying so there is no questions(drops in tracks) for next year?
BTW bullet fragments were found on each deer at exit wound but nothing intact.

Thanks for the input!!

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
There is no magic bullet, shot placement is the key. It sounds like on both your shots you put good hits on them but some deer/animals are just tougher than others.
Unless you hit the brain, spine or smash both front shoulders, deer can...do...and will run even with their vitals pulverized. They are dead, just don't know it.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I use a .300 Win mag and have had some drop in tracks and others go a short distance like 25 yards or less. Deer did not know they were dead but learned shortly they were.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Regardless of cartridge size or selection. You can have a deer run a short distance with a boiler room shot. It is that simple. There is no "magic bullet" for DRT shots in the rib cage. You have not taken away any of the deers ability to run. And even though the deer is running dead-the deer just doesn't know it yet.

The best shot for dropping deer in their tracks is a front shoulder shot. I do not feel the need for it to be a high front shoulder shot. But anywhere between 1/2 way up to 3/4 of the way up is great IMO. To high and you can also have tenderloin damage. I do not mind front shoulder meat damage, but I deplore tenderloin meat damage.

My favorite shot on a deer is when the have the front leg forward on the entry side. I then tuck the bullet in behind the front leg on the entry side, and take out the leg or shoulder on the exit side. Those deer will go straight down. Especially with your 300UM.

Also for the 300 RUM I like the heavier Sierra bullets. Either 180 or 200 grain. I don't realy care for the controled expansion bullets for whitetail. They just seem to go straight through. Penetration is not a problem with deer. Elk-YES. Deer-NO. Tom.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Tues evening I shot a large doe with my 300 RUM.

I always shoot for the top of the heart to sever the major blood vessels the, both arteries and vien. I hit my point of aim perfectly. The deer did not move, I believe the shock broke most of the neck nerves/sninal cord. NO meat loss.

I was shooting 165 Grand Slam, loaded to max. range was about 124 yds...cold out there.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
The 185 Bergers and the 180 nosler BT worked for me. However I don't care if you shooting a 50 BMG it's more about shot placement

·
Registered
715 Posts
I like a 240 grain SMK. Neck shots will stop them in their tracks more than any other shot you can do except the computer room. I think the problem with a head shot is the risk involed with missing and shooting their face off. They will die by starving to death, a cruel way to go. I have never had a deer take another step with a neck shot, and you will have minimal meat damage. I agree that shot placement is the key but you gotta admit with a 50 BMG shot placement isn't as critical, same can be said about a 240 grain SMK out of a RUM

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The velocity and the twist in my Rem 300RUM will not stabilize the 240 grain SMK. I shoot some 220 gr for target, but they are not nearly as accurate as the 150-180 grains in standard twist barrels, because of stabilization. For hunting long range accuracy is paramount.

They would be OK for close shots on BIG animals like grizzly and bigger stuff.

·
Registered
889 Posts
A SMK(Sierra Match King) bullet on Grizzly?? A match bullet?? Obviously they will kill a deer. But they are not recommended for hunting by Sierra. I would definitely say they would not make a good Grizzly bullet. However you are right about the twist rate. Most all 30 caliber factory hunting rifles do not have the proper twist for the 240 SMK's. Normally 150 to 200 grain is nominal for factory twist hunting rifles. With 200 being the top end. However you never really know unless you try them. Tom.

·
Registered
715 Posts
A 240 SMK will stablize in a 10 twist barrel, I didn't know Remington produced a 300 RUM in anything but a 10 twist. I know a lot of long range hunters that use SMK's on bear and Elk and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for hunting. Long range anything requires extreme accuracy and nothing fits the bill better than a 240 SMK or a 210 Berger, both have very high BC witch equates to less wind drift more down range energy and accuracy. The 240 SMK has held world records at the PA 1000 Yard Benchrest Club chambered in various 300 WBY's and also in a 300 RUM.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If you read closely you will see I referenced the 220 gr. that is not a target load. Hornady #3090 is a great big game bullet, round nose and thick jacketed. It is in fact the only bullet I would trust on grizzly or other big game.

I also load it in a double 30-06 that acts as a back-up light rifle in dangerous game lands.

Yes, match bullets are poor bullets for game. but deer are so easy to kill, any bullet will work perfecly with good shot placement. Fast small bullet lose a lot of meat, but they also kill.

·
Registered
889 Posts
The OP is not even discussing long range hunting. And you guys are talking about 1,000 yard shooting?? A couple of you have went way off topic.

I have been hunting all my life. I have never seen a person hunt with 240 grain SMK's for PA deer. NEVER.

You can chuckle all you want. Any hunter would know that a bullet the size of 240 grains has enough mass that it does not matter about bullet construction. It will obviously take a deer off its feet. That is common sense.

My comment was with it being compared to a "grizzly" bullet. So chuckle away. But read the post first. And stay on topic, and the topic is a deer bullet for ranges under 400 yards. Not 1,000 yard "Best of the West" shooting. And I know of very few who would call the 240 grain SMK as optimium for that type of hunting.

I can't believe the guys who think the 223 is a deer cartrdige has not chimed in yet?? Tom.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Gunnermhr said:
I know a lot of long range hunters that use SMK's on bear and Elk and I wouldn't hesitate to use it for hunting.
Grizzly bears?? Big elk?? Sorry but I am calling BS on that. I don't believe it. I have been hunting and around long range shooting for over 40 years. I live within 3 miles of a 1,000 yard range with hundreds of members. I have never seen 1 person in 40 years go after large big game with 240 grain SMK's. And you say lots of people. I don't believe it. Tom.

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the input guys, I will try some of these other bullets listed(Barnes and Berger) next season, hopefully with a little better results.

Thank you for not giving me the lectures about 223's being better. I just like a long action rifle with capability to knock an animal down as humanely as possible. Just my choice.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts