The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lets hear the good and bad on this classic! Don't see too many around nowadays but at one time the Savage 99 in 300 was a hot ticket..

does everything we need it to in P.A's woods. Anyone still using one?? what loads do ya like??

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I used to use my Greatgrandfathers sometimes when I was a teen. I really liked the gun but only ever remember missing a doe with it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Just a tad behind a .308, IMHO one of the best, most underrated all around cartridges of all time. Great round in a GREAT gun. I still walk mine from time to time.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I don't have one but do reload for two friends, one in a Savage 99 and the other a Rem 760.

I'm afraid I don't have load data in my records--they are on the boxes.

There is nothing wrong at all with this round for PA hunting--I also have to confess to being humbled by that 99

I was working up loads for that and we were at the bench--I had taken my 7 mm Rem Mag along. I got done with the 7 mm and took the 300---and was FAR too relaxed---that bugger scoped me worse than I have ever been scoped

I do have a Model 99 in 250-3000---with an opening for a 300

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
My uncle had one and I got a deer with it. I wanted to buy it but he sold it to another guy, was not happy with him for a while!

·
Registered
7,794 Posts
Just got a nice 99R in 300 Savage...Also got a pile of old 300 ammo at estate auctions between this year and last so I will be using this for a day this deer season....Love the classics!.......

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
My first deer rifle Savage 99 .300 Sav.Given to me by my Uncle,killed quite a few deer with it.I consder the Sav.99 in .300 Sav. the best lever action /cal.combination ever put together.
I've herd the old guys say back when the lever action was king of the Pa. deer woods if you didn't have a .300 you weren't crap.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a model 99 in 300 and also a rem. model 722 in 300 savage. I love this round. load a 150 grain ballistic tip for both. I stoke the brass for the 300 a little hotter than that of the 99.

Mike

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I remember having 10 guys at camp when I was young. 6 w/ Mod 99 in 300 Savage, one w/ a mod 99 in .308 and two w/ marlin levers in .35 Rem...now there is just the .308 as alot of us bought Rem 700 bolt actions...w/ one Rem pump.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I bought mine, a 99f when I was 13 years old with my confirmation money. I still have the receipt. The gun, plus a sling, a 4 power Weaver scope, flip over mounts and a box of shells cost me 140 bucks.

I hunted with it until I got magnumitis, which I am now over.

Last Christmas, I passed it on to my nephew who had borrowed it to hunt each year. Between us, we never hit a deer with it we didn't kill, although there were a few misses!

Really nice gun, I love it. I have my great grandfather's 99, .250/3000. That one is going to my son. He will have plenty of guns!!

I load for the 99, with 4895 and 150 gr. ballistic tips. They have worked great.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
My Dad used to hunt with his Uncle's and has always talked about getting one, on the way to Colorado we stopped at Cabela's in Kansas City and he found one he liked and ended up buying it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
i had one[model 99, 300 savage] handed down to me from my grandfather. i hunted with one year, killed a deer with it and put it away. it will be handed down to one of my sons. gramps killed several deer with it. one year he had a matchstick holding the rear ramp in place, a guy he went hunting with made fun of the gun the whole trip. gramps killed the biggest buck of his life that year and the only deer killed on the trip.
a nice 8 which scores about 125. the guy that was heckling him didn't say a word the whole way home.

i have that deer hanging proudly on my wall in my rec. room. i never did get to hunt with him, i sure wish i had been able to get out with him.

·
Registered
778 Posts
That is the gun I rifle hunt with to this day. I love it and have killed quite a few deer with it.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
"I consder the Sav.99 in .300 Sav. the best lever action /cal.combination ever put together".
Mike M. that is quite a statement, to which I'm sure a lot of people would have an arguement, having their own preference. But it was and is a good rifle/round combo along with many others..

1 - 20 of 35 Posts