The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys are probably going to read this and think I'm crazy. But my dad and I are going to Wyoming this fall to hunt antelope as a retirement trip for him. I have shot antelope before and want to put a little more challenge into the hunt versus just taking my 7mm mag. So I am thinking of taking my M99 .300 Savage with me. I took it on a bear hunt to Maine and shot one up there, so I kinda got the itch to do this as well.
I shoot alot of Hornady bullets. Was looking in my reloading manual and see they have loads listed for 150 grain up to 2800fps and for 130 grain for up to 3000 fps. Does anyone shoot either of these bullets? What loads do you use and what kind of accuracy do you get? I usually shoot 165 or 180 grains out of mine so have never shot either of these. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the responses guys. As stated, I have shot antelope before and am just taking my .300 as a gimmick thing for additional challenge instead of just sniping them at 400 yards with my 7 mag. Looking for load data for the .300 I asked about. Not really looking for what folks think is the best cartridge to take. Again, thanks though.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
I wont knock the 300 Savage it has its place. Other than that its a lead sled, you should have something more flat shooting. If you havent been out west you will see. Good luck to both of you.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I have a buddy that uses the 130gr Hornady SP out of his .308 Win. I hunted with him for over 20 years and have seen many deer( some big bodied buck) fall to that combo. Any bullet that was ever recovered looked like the "perfect" mushroom.
A max load of Win.748 gets it up over 3100 fps. He uses that gun/bullet all year from groundhogs to deer.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Premium 130 grain bullet, careful handloading, you are good to go. Remember, the 300 Savage was once considered a "Big" gun ! The caliber or type of action is moot if you can deliver a good bullet to the vitals consistently. There has not been an animal shot that knew what tye of gun it was shot with, LOL!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mfuff and Joe. I can hear the laughter now, but after this antelope hunt, I also have plans to shoot a caribou, elk and moose with it also. Shot all of those before too. I just want to do it with my '99 now.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
The 300savage has killed moose and antelope efore and it will certainly do it again . Your only limitation is in trajectory which isn't much below the .308 which is a standard in long range competition and police and military sniper rounds . No need to feel you are shooting a gimmick, just adding to your challenge by getting closer . A modern inline would be the same kind of challenge. Kudos to you . Good luck!

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I agree, I wouldn't consider using the 300 savage to be all that challenging. Unless its inaccurate, you should be able to hit and kill them at 400 yards.

Try a pistol or a muzzleloader. Then your in the 100 yard game.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Kudu58

Sounds like a cool plan. I totally understand your thinking and dont think your crazy at all. I have a model 99 in 300 Savage that was my great uncles. I have had it for around 20 years and did not have any interest in using it until this year. Its more about using something differant then killing something with the same gun every year.

If it was me, I would try both bullets and the one that was the most accurate would be the one I would use. There really isnt much difference in the trajectory between the two.

Good luck, Tony

·
Registered
236 Posts
My Dad (1922-2004) hunted antelope many times with his lever action 300 Savage rifle. Mule deer, too. He used 150 grain Winchester factory ammo. I typically hunt these amazing animals with my .243 slide action rifle and Black Hills Ammo featuring 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip. A tack driving combo for me. Shots of 175 to 275 yards are common.

I suggest a good pair of knee pads and gloves for crawling within good shooting distance. Where are you hunting in Wyoming? Dad and I hunted in Harding County, South Dakota on public lands.

TR

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Load her up with a stiff handload with either the Sierra 125gr Spitzer or the Hornady 130 gr. Spire point and have at it. Sounds fun to me! My grandfather bought his Savage 99 300 Savage in 1923, two years after the cartridge was introduced! He used it for many years. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the 300 savage is a good round for deer sized game out to probably 300 yards. i think the most important thing is the optics you're using on it and sighting it in at antelope ranges. if you can group at 300 yards most bullet's and loads will do the job.

·
Registered
5,643 Posts
That 300 will be just fine as long as you know the limitations, which its sounds like you do. Load her up with some 130's or 150's and.....

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TR, Thsnks for posting those pics. Pretty nice. We are hunting unit 63 near Casper. (With the assumption we get our tags.) Won't know that until June.
My M99 was given to me by my grandfather. He bought it from a guy he worked with when he got back from WWII. Paid $50 for it and a box of shells with a peep sight on it. It was in kinda rough shape when I got it. I reblued it, refinished the stock, oil finish, put a new recoil pad on because the old one was hard as a rock, had a new spring put in the magazine cause it wouldn't feed reliably and topped it off with a Leupold VXII in 2-7x. It is really nice now and I like using it. Reminds me of hunting with my grandfather. It really wasn't too out of place on my Maine hunt, but I can't wait to show up at antelope, elk, caribou and moose camp with a .300 savage and see what folks have to say. I really have no doubts on it's capability on all of them. We'll see.

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Go for it man !!!!!!!

Just do your homework. Find out what distance you can expect to be shooting. Then run the numbers on the different bullet weights. Just because you can start a 125-130 grainer out at a number that makes you feel good does NOT mean that a slower starting 150-165 grainer won't fly past the lighter bullet at 300 yards (and drop less). Ballistic coefficient is a wonderful thing.

GOOD LUCK with yer 99 on them goats !!!!!!

·
Registered
9,843 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You know Strut, that is a very good point to consider. And is exactly why I posted this thread. Somebody always posts something to at least consider. Especially since my current load that I use is a 165 Hornady Interlock SP. I get just under 2600fps with it and it is pretty accurate. I already have several hundred of them loaded, so why mess with loadoing something else? I am at work now so I don't have my book with me, but it has to have a reasonable trajectory out to 250 yards anyhow, if you're sighted like 2" high at 100. That is plenty good enough for me. I am sure you could shoot out there as far as you felt comfortable, but I'm not really worried about that. 250 yards is a good limitation. Doubt it will be a problem. I'll just have to do some shooting out that far and see what's what. Never needed to shoot mine beyond 100 yards before.

·
Registered
958 Posts
You aint crazy... when you get out west you are gonna hear all about the model 99 being THE Saddle gun of choice for western hunters.

80 years ago what were the commercial calibers? And they took everything that walks North America!

Roll some up and shoot em at distance, repeat and have fun.

PS used my paps 1920's era model 99 in .300 for 25 years here in Pa. Love that rifle!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Strut10 said:
Go for it man !!!!!!!

Just do your homework. Find out what distance you can expect to be shooting. Then run the numbers on the different bullet weights. Just because you can start a 125-130 grainer out at a number that makes you feel good does NOT mean that a slower starting 150-165 grainer won't fly past the lighter bullet at 300 yards (and drop less). Ballistic coefficient is a wonderful thing.

GOOD LUCK with yer 99 on them goats !!!!!!
Funny you should bring this up! I had read about it and through shooting my .300 Win Mag at 300 yards with 165 and 180 grain tips, I found the point of impact is almost the same.

No brainer for me now, going to shoot the 180's this fall on my first elk hunt.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts