The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking about building the kids a new deer gun and was thinking about this caliber..how is it for the killing end?havent studied it much but was thinking it should be a ok whitetail round.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
I have 2 ARs in this caliber. I have not personally used it on deer but I would keep shots under 100-150 yards and make sure you choose a bullet that will expand at 300 blk velocities. I loaded up Barnes tac-tx (designed specifically for 300 blk) for a hog hunt in SC but did not get a shot opportunity. I will be picking up a ruger american ranch in 300 blk as soon as I can find one. I called around everywhere last week to try to find one to use this past weekend on a doe but there was not one to be found.

·
Registered
20,869 Posts
Why don't you just get them a .308 and load it down?That way it will be more versatile.I moved my 9 year old up from a .243 to a Kimber Montanna in .308 this year.I loaded 150 125gr ballistic tips in front of 42.5 gr of IMR 3031.Recoil wasn't much different than a .243 even in such a light rifle.For hunting season,I loaded 125gr accubonds with the same charge.He filled every tag with that load this year including one doe at a lazered 207 yards plus I killed a couple with it.I was extremely impressed with at load.Most of the deer dropped in their tracks and all had a decent exit wound.Only two deer ran.One was a liver hit at 207 yards AND THE OTHER WAS A QUARTERING TO shot that broke the front shoulder and exited out the ribs.He only caught one lung and the deer made it about 60 yards.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dce said:
Why don't you just get them a .308 and load it down?That way it will be more versatile.I moved my 9 year old up from a .243 to a Kimber Montanna in .308 this year.I loaded 150 125gr ballistic tips in front of 42.5 gr of IMR 3031.Recoil wasn't much different than a .243 even in such a light rifle.For hunting season,I loaded 125gr accubonds with the same charge.He filled every tag with that load this year including one doe at a lazered 207 yards plus I killed a couple with it.I was extremely impressed with at load.Most of the deer dropped in their tracks and all had a decent exit wound.Only two deer ran.One was a liver hit at 207 yards AND THE OTHER WAS A QUARTERING TO shot that broke the front shoulder and exited out the ribs.He only caught one lung and the deer made it about 60 yards.
I could go that route but in 7-08 because I already have a 08 and have all the reloading stuff for it..but I kinda want a 300 BO so I figured I could get this for the kids to use also..im looking heavy at the ruger American ranch gun in 300 BO..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts