The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Just converted some LC brass from 5.56 to 300 BLK. Its time consuming but it came out awesome once completed and water tumbled!
The following is posted on SSK Industries website. Use your reformed 5.56 brass with caution. I have been shooting the 300 Whisper since it was introduced. All of my brass was made from new .221 Fireball brass. Never had a problem. I have seen first hand problems as stated by JD Jones. Although I believe that some of the brass used was various head stamps.

"Beware of cases made from 223 brass. Neck wall thickness varies a great deal as does the thickness of the taper from case mouth to end of the neck. Case capacity varies a lot. It is possible with brass made for 223 to encounter a situation where the round does not chamber fully and cannot be ejected by conventional means. “T” handles have been broken attempting to eject such a case. "

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The following is posted on SSK Industries website. Use your reformed 5.56 brass with caution. I have been shooting the 300 Whisper since it was introduced. All of my brass was made from new .221 Fireball brass. Never had a problem. I have seen first hand problems as stated by JD Jones. Although I believe that some of the brass used was various head stamps.

"Beware of cases made from 223 brass. Neck wall thickness varies a great deal as does the thickness of the taper from case mouth to end of the neck. Case capacity varies a lot. It is possible with brass made for 223 to encounter a situation where the round does not chamber fully and cannot be ejected by conventional means. “T” handles have been broken attempting to eject such a case. "

Thanks for the heads up, but I am not a rookie... I ream all of my converted after forming. The redding forming die forms the case to fired dimensions which allows for the reaming and trimming process.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts