The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i shot a doe at 160-170 yrds last evening with my new camo stainless icon 30 tc. first deer taken with the fairly unfamiliar, to me, caliber. deer dropped in its tracks with a shot that entered just behind front shoulder and exited 4 ribs back with a golfball size hole. insides of deer were destroyed. i have shot a lot of deer and have never saw a deer drop and die so quickly. has anyone else used a 30 tc?

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
No,but I have had my eye on one.The only downside and what has been keepin me from pullin the trigger is ammo price and availability.I do not reload,do you?

·
Registered
638 Posts
all tc did was re-invent the 308 win. it's already a half dead cartridge.

·
Registered
71 Posts
yukon375 said:
all tc did was re-invent the 308 win. it's already a half dead cartridge.
Agreed. The 30TC filled a hole that wasn't there. There's nothing wrong with it, but there's no need to get one if you already have a 308, .30-06, 300 SAV, etc.

·
Banned
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
308 IS 200 FT PER SECOND SLOWER SO I WOULD SAY THAT IT IS NOT THE SAME. I HAVE TWO 308S, THE PROBLEM WITH THIS ROUND IS THAT IT IS DYING BECAUSE HORNADY HAS NOT RELEASED THE POWDER THEY USE IN THE LOAD AND IF YOU LOAD WITH ANY PUBLISHED POWDER IT IS THEN THE SAME BALLISTICALLY AS THE 308. HOWEVER, I CAN NAME 20 CALIBERS THAT WILL KILL A DEER AND AS LONG AS YOU ARE FINE WITH THE SAME OLD VANILLA CALIBERS; 30-06, 270, 308, 25-06, 300 WIN MAG AND SO FORTH AND SO ON, THEN A 30 TC IS NOT FOR YOU. IF YOU LIKE DIFFERENT CALIBERS 6.5 REM MAG, 300 SAUM, 7MM SAUM, 25 WSSM THAT ARE FAD CALIBERS, THAN MAYBE THE 30 TC IS FOR YOU. JUST EACH TO ITS OWN. A CALIBER IS NEVER DEAD IF YOU RELOAD OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO DOES. I RELOAD.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
Alarge local gun shop that has one said that they only sold 1 or 2 of that cal.(And they move lots of guns)They also said that they recommend to stay with the bread and butter cartridges.I agree with erinreed but I don,t want to pay thru the nose and have trouble findin the ammo.

·
Registered
638 Posts
and how fast is the light mag stuff from hornady for the 308 win.?????
erinreed said:
308 IS 200 FT PER SECOND SLOWER SO I WOULD SAY THAT IT IS NOT THE SAME. I HAVE TWO 308S, THE PROBLEM WITH THIS ROUND IS THAT IT IS DYING BECAUSE HORNADY HAS NOT RELEASED THE POWDER THEY USE IN THE LOAD AND IF YOU LOAD WITH ANY PUBLISHED POWDER IT IS THEN THE SAME BALLISTICALLY AS THE 308. HOWEVER, I CAN NAME 20 CALIBERS THAT WILL KILL A DEER AND AS LONG AS YOU ARE FINE WITH THE SAME OLD VANILLA CALIBERS; 30-06, 270, 308, 25-06, 300 WIN MAG AND SO FORTH AND SO ON, THEN A 30 TC IS NOT FOR YOU. IF YOU LIKE DIFFERENT CALIBERS 6.5 REM MAG, 300 SAUM, 7MM SAUM, 25 WSSM THAT ARE FAD CALIBERS, THAN MAYBE THE 30 TC IS FOR YOU. JUST EACH TO ITS OWN. A CALIBER IS NEVER DEAD IF YOU RELOAD OR KNOW SOMEONE WHO DOES. I RELOAD.

·
Registered
722 Posts
i shot a deer with my .270 with a sierra 140gn hollow point at 284 yards last year and it dropped. zeroed at 100 yards, so i held top of back and behind front shoulder, and the bullet struck about 10 inches low from POA and at that range it still made oatmeal out of the heart and lungs, and still exited leaving a golf ball sized exit hole.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I wouldnt say the 6.5 rem mag is a fad, its been around for over 40 years.
I think the 30 T/C is destined to die out because what can it do that a 308 / 30-06 cant?

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
If we wanted to nit-pik.You name me one new caliber that has come out that there isn,t another ole standby cal that can,t do the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts