The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's shooting them and which kinds? What are your groups like at 40 and beyond? Whats the string angle like on the peep? What draw lenghts are you guys shooting on them?

Just a few questions i have. Ive been looking around the internet and cant find much information. Theyre pushing the 30" bows more and more these days and im just looking to see what all the buzz is about. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
A few years ago when the shorter ata bows started coming on the scene someone askede Todd Shultz these questions. Todd, his father, and daughter have won several world titles shooting 3-d and are avid hunters. His reply went something like this, if I'm shooting 20 yards at a deer's kill zone then a shorter bow is fine, if I'm shooting 45-50 + yards at a 12 ring I want something longer and more stable. I would think that for 90% of all hunting shots at reasonable distances a short ata bow is okay?

·
Registered
697 Posts
I am shooting the Mathews Heli-M witha 30 inch draw and absolutely love this bow. Im a big guy and hunt out of my climber 100% of the time so its nice to have a smaller bow to maneuver around. At 40 yards on a good day I'm stacking/ruining arrows from shooting at the same dot. I can get 5-10 inch groups all the way out to 80 yards.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
MathewsMan85 said:
I am shooting the Mathews Heli-M witha 30 inch draw and absolutely love this bow. Im a big guy and hunt out of my climber 100% of the time so its nice to have a smaller bow to maneuver around. At 40 yards on a good day I'm stacking/ruining arrows from shooting at the same dot. I can get 5-10 inch groups all the way out to 80 yards.
30 inch draw and 30 inch ATA are two very different things my friend. Axle to Axle measurement is what is being referred to in the question.

I have a 29inch draw setup on my bow, and the ATA measurement is approximately 27 3/4 inches. Very good for treestand hunting, and I have only shot it so far out to 40 yards which is plenty far enough from a tree for me.

Bluedog

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the mathews heli-m has a 30" ata though as well. I had bought a nib hoyt vector 32 a few days ago but my money was refunded due to the seller not realizing that the bow had the number 2 cams instead of the number 3. Im a 29" draw length. I came across a brand new hoyt faktor 30 with 29" draw and 60-70 lbs limbs at an amazing price and was wondering if this thing was worth checking out. All the reviews i have seen so far are pretty positive abou tthe bow. Just wanted to know if there were guys around my size, 5'10", 29" draw length who shot 30" ata bows and what theyre experiences were. Im currently shooting around a 33" ata bow now with a 6" brace height and can group arrows within 2-3 inches at 50 yards.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
BlueDog said:
MathewsMan85 said:
30 inch draw and 30 inch ATA are two very different things my friend. Axle to Axle measurement is what is being referred to in the question.

I have a 29inch draw setup on my bow, and the ATA measurement is approximately 27 3/4 inches. Very good for treestand hunting, and I have only shot it so far out to 40 yards which is plenty far enough from a tree for me.

Bluedog
The Heli-m is a 30" ATA

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
attackone said:
BlueDog said:
MathewsMan85 said:

Bluedog
The Heli-m is a 30" ATA
do you agree there is a difference between ATA and draw length? If so please read the post again...if not...ok

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
So there is no confusion ATA means axle to axle and is the manufacturers measurement from the top cam axle to bottom the cam axle.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
BlueDog said:
attackone said:
BlueDog said:
MathewsMan85 said:

Bluedog
The Heli-m is a 30" ATA
do you agree there is a difference between ATA and draw length? If so please read the post again...if not...ok
i dont understand that point your trying to make. Of course DL and ATA are two different things but a mathews helim has a Axle to Axle length of 30" making it a 30" ATA bow in which the OP was asking about. He also asked about string angle, with a short bow comes a harsher string angle and the longer your DL is the worse it will be. So when Mathewsman85 posted what he did he was answer the question correctly.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The Heli-M is a 30 inch ATA bow like the OP stated. He also asked what draw length people were shooting. I don't understand what you're getting at BlueDog

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I wasn't aware the Mathews helim was a 30 inch ATA. Since you didn't mention that it was a 30 inch ATA and only mentioned the draw length, that's what I am getting at. No harm no foul. Thanks for clearing it up.

Bluedog

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I used to have a 2013 Bowtech Assassin (30.625" ATA). I practice regularly out to 50 yards and could group well. My target had a 3" circle and I could get them in the circle or just around it at 50 yards. I shoot 28.5" DL on all my bows so not a long DL by any means.

My current bow is 31" ATA and I shoot it even better but I doubt that extra 3/8" is helping much haha.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
I'm no expert, but I do know a bow is not form fitted to our size, unlike a form fitting suit of clothes.
I buy the best for me and I adapt to the differences.
Hunt from a tree stand. Learned using a bow that was some 42 inches ata. I later learned that small ata's were for those who mainly hunted from tree stands. So I buy the bow with longer ata's.
Longer ata's were for those who shot 3D events. I shot privately and wasn't concerned about 3D or high accuracy of competition. I was for my best accuracy and hunting accuracy. I adjusted by getting the then longer ata for hunting bows.

I got over long ago that bows are not a close fit; not a perfect fit.
After getting back into archery from my youth, my size had changed. I was fitted for a 30 inch draw. Having been the shortest player on my last basketball team, I was just glad to just get a bow.
I became an expert in companies that sold lesser priced bows of 30 inch draw. When I got back into archery, I had no idea how long I would or could physically shoot. So I got an inexpensive compound bow with a great big grip and a 30 inch draw. . One you needed to be able to palm a basketball with one hand. Was that a bargain !!!

I still have the bow all these years later. Besides, few archers could ever use it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I shoot a creed xs (28 ata) @ a 27 draw length and love it. I don't shoot 50 yds but my groups at 35 are tight. I would not go back to a longer ata bow.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
I still like longer ATA bows mainly because I use my hunting bow to shoot in my winter indoor league. The only changes I make are a smaller peep and sight housing, add a back bar and switch to a Back tension release. Tried shooting a PSE Evo 6 one year and scores dropped. Last year shoot my highest average ever with an Elite Pure and this year I am shooting an Elite Energy 35.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I have an '09 Martin Cheetah (Bonehunter from Dick_s Sporting Goods) which is 30" ATA. I love it for the treestand and I am good with it at hunting distances.
I don't shoot 3D or leagues, just hunt.
Having the shorter ATA helped me harvest my buck one year when I had to shoot behind me and over the top section of my climber. If I had a longer ATA bow, I might not have been able to make that shot.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i wanted to get a 32" ata bow from hoyt. I was looking at NIB vector 32 but the dealer made a mistake when they told me it was the number 3 cam when in fact it was the number 2. He send me a message telling me about this faktor 30 he had at pretty much the same price. I kind of wanted a flag ship model but im not willing to pony up for a carbon bow to get the 32" ata. I could buy one if i wanted to but im a bargain shopper. I just wanted some input from you guys before i made my decision. Im buying the bow. Ill hopefully have it in a few days. Im getting some good advice from a friend on how to set it up for myself so ill let you guys know how it turns out. Alot of the video ive watched and the feed back ive read not only here but other places have kind of given me an idea it wont be that aweful different from what im shooting now and i should be able to adapt to it. Worse comes to worse i should be able to sell the bow for what i paid for it and ill go somewhere to try some of the other bows out.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
So you never shot this particular bow, if I am reading your last post right? I wouldn't recommend that, no matter what make, model or size the bow is. I would always want to shoot the New bow I am buying, before I lay out the money for it. Heck, if I bought used at a great deal, I'd still want to shoot it first.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts