The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a marlin and need some help in deciding what ammo would be the best for deer hunting? i have heard about the hornaby's what do some of you think?

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
I always preferred Winchester 170's. Especially the Silvertips when I could find them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If it's a lever revolution gun the hornady ammo is great! Nice tight groups. I haven's had any problems. But my older 30-30 doesn't like them at all. I stick to remington core locks for that one.

Try a few brands. Most likely the gun will tell you what it likes and what it doesnt.

·
Registered
25,591 Posts
Considering that Rem. Core Lokts are usually on sale (often with rebates) prior to deer season and that most rifles will shoot them very well, not hard to go with that choice?

·
Registered
889 Posts
When it comes to the 30-30 there really is no such thing as a bad factory round. All the factory rounds will perform well on deer. If I were you I would first buy a couple of boxes of the less expensive shells and shoot them for accuracy first. They will probably work great for you. If not then buy a couple more boxes and try them. Keep looking until you find a load you are happy with.

The LeveRevolution ammo is good stuff. Some people have had good accuracy results, and some have not. It is a hit or miss just like all the other types of ammo. Your rifle will Tell you what it likes best. So trust in your shooting and your rifle. it is also great when the cheaper ammo shoots well because you can practice for less. Tom.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
JWE said:
just got a marlin and need some help in deciding what ammo would be the best for deer hunting? i have heard about the hornaby's what do some of you think?
You can Sit here all day long and Read what Everyone posts to you telling you what shoots out of their rifles...

BUT, WHAT You need to do is buy yourself a few different company made ammo for your 30/30....Remington, Federal, Winchester, Hornedy and GO OUT and set down and shoot each box at say 50 yards at different targets for each company load...

See what Type shoots and groups better for YOUR Rifle!

I have a Savage 110 243...I know another guy who has the Same Exact Rifle...My Rifle Groups with, in this order...

1- Hornedy 70 grain and 95 grain ballistic tips
2- Federal 70 grain ballistic tips
3- Winchester 90 grain silver tip ballistic tips
4- Reminton anything isnt even worth wasteing the money to try to shoot in my 243!

The other guy has found Winchester shoots Better in his, Federal then Hornedy and the same with the Remingtons...

You need to TEST Different made and grain bullets for YOUR Rifle!

An Older Wiser Man once told me this and I have stuck to it when I buy a new firearm....and it has proven it self time and time again!!!

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
It is a little impractical to go out and spend $60 on different boxes of ammo just to see what groups better than another,,,It's a nice thought though!

·
Registered
889 Posts
Big Ken said:
It is a little impractical to go out and spend $60 on different boxes of ammo just to see what groups better than another,,,It's a nice thought though!
It may be impractical. But there is no other way. There is no magic pill here. Every rifle will shoot different ammo differently. That is just the way it is. Tom.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I always had good luck with the 170 gr win power points. The 170 gr fusions also shoot very well.

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
Big Ken said:

I agree.

·
Registered
7,792 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
It may be impractical. But there is no other way. There is no magic pill here. Every rifle will shoot different ammo differently. That is just the way it is. Tom.
So what you're saying, is that when I buy a new rifle, I am to go and grab one box of everything off of the rack, fire a group with each one, and then select the best one?.....How many people do you think would actually do something so preposterous (and expensive)?...I can see trying different handloads with the same bullets and different powders already on hand, but to buy a bunch of boxes of ammo, just to try a few out of each box?,,,Go ahead, just save me the leftovers.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
If you are shooting factory ammo, that is the ONLY way to find out what your rifle likes. You dont have to buy 4 boxes of different stuff the day you get the rifle, you buy one, and if it produces acceptable accuracy, you are good to go. Next payday, grab a box of something else, if it shoots worse, but still acceptable you are still good and have learned something, pick up another box of something different later and try it, keeping 5 of the ones you know work best. Leftovers will still likely be MOD (min of deer)so they dont go to waste. If you need them in season then you use them. If you dont, they are range fodder. Shooting a hundred rounds in a year out of a new rifle testing loads, isnt a big deal, it ishow you find out what it will do.

Yes it costs a LITTLE, and you actually have to shoot to find out. No different than handloading, except you can only get test rounds 20 rounds at a time.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Personally I would buy one box at a time, shoot them and if accuracy was great be happy and save rest of your money for more of that brand and more great shooting.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Big Ken said:
HOGGHEAD said:
So what you're saying, is that when I buy a new rifle, I am to go and grab one box of everything off of the rack, fire a group with each one, and then select the best one?.....How many people do you think would actually do something so preposterous (and expensive)?...I can see trying different handloads with the same bullets and different powders already on hand, but to buy a bunch of boxes of ammo, just to try a few out of each box?,,,Go ahead, just save me the leftovers.

First of all if you read my post you will see that I said to buy two different boxes at a time. If you bother to read it. But the answer to your question is YES. About everybody I know who shoots factory ammo wants to shoot the most accurate ammo they can shoot. So YES they do buy several different boxes of ammo to determine which is best. Unless you are satisfied with the accuracy you attain by the first box you buy. It is strictly up to you. However as I said, there is no "MAGIC PILL" when it comes to the most accurate factory ammo. In order to determine that you must buy and shot the different loads. What is most expensive is not necessarily the most accurate in any given firearm. It really is that simple.

And no two firearms are the same. Regardless of make or model. Tom.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
HOGGHEAD said:
Big Ken said:
HOGGHEAD said:

First of all if you read my post you will see that I said to buy two different boxes at a time. If you bother to read it. But the answer to your question is YES. About everybody I know who shoots factory ammo wants to shoot the most accurate ammo they can shoot. So YES they do buy several different boxes of ammo to determine which is best. Unless you are satisfied with the accuracy you attain by the first box you buy. It is strictly up to you. However as I said, there is no "MAGIC PILL" when it comes to the most accurate factory ammo. In order to determine that you must buy and shot the different loads. What is most expensive is not necessarily the most accurate in any given firearm. It really is that simple.

Some of these posts Show why we have what we have in Pennsylvania when it comes to hunters shooting their firearms!!

If it hits ANYWHERE on an 8.5x11 inch piece of paper, GOOD TO GO for deer, that 8.5x11 piece of paper is a good area on a deer (also a HUGE Area to Cripple a Deer and have it wonder off NEVER to be recovered and become coyote or Buzzard food).....no need to settle down at a bench, sight in the rifle and make nice little groups...no need to test anything Before season....No Need to shoot a little hear and there way before season....just Grab the Cheapest box of ammo on the Shelf and go Bang away at deer or what ever your hunting!

Buying 2 boxes at a time, 1 box at a time, buy a box of different types 1 box a year.... doesnt matter...so many will complain about TESTING Ammo in their Firearms and never understand what their firearm was intented to shoot like with the Correct ammo for it!

·
Registered
10,309 Posts
Start with the cheapest and go from there.

If the cheapest ammo shoots groups yer happy with then, tah dah.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
Woodywoodduck said:
HOGGHEAD said:
Big Ken said:
HOGGHEAD said:

Some of these posts Show why we have what we have in Pennsylvania when it comes to hunters shooting their firearms!!

If it hits ANYWHERE on an 8.5x11 inch piece of paper, GOOD TO GO for deer, that 8.5x11 piece of paper is a good area on a deer (also a HUGE Area to Cripple a Deer and have it wonder off NEVER to be recovered and become coyote or Buzzard food).....no need to settle down at a bench, sight in the rifle and make nice little groups...no need to test anything Before season....No Need to shoot a little hear and there way before season....just Grab the Cheapest box of ammo on the Shelf and go Bang away at deer or what ever your hunting!

Buying 2 boxes at a time, 1 box at a time, buy a box of different types 1 box a year.... doesnt matter...so many will complain about TESTING Ammo in their Firearms and never understand what their firearm was intented to shoot like with the Correct ammo for it!
It's ok if hits a paper plate, not a sheet of paper....get it right.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
With some cartridges I've noticed that a particular gun really likes and dislikes certain ammunitions. That can also depend on the target....long range varmints require a higher degree of accuracy as opposed to short range deer. However, I've never seen a 30-30 that wouldn't shoot acceptable groups(2" @ 100 yards) with standard factory 150 or 170gr loads. If I had to guess I'd say pick one of the the Remington loadings and that'll probably be the only one you need to try. If it's a scoped rifle accuracy will be even better. I have nothing against the Hornady loads, but if you're not shooting over 100 yards there's really no point to shooting them.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts