The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 7400 in 30-06 that I hunt with in Ontario and I was thinking of rechambering it to 35 Whelen. I have never had this done before and don't know the first thing about it. So I have a few questions.

Is is possible to do?

What is the process and can any good gunsmith do it or should i contact Remington.

I don't reload so is the 35 Whelen still a good choice or should I be looking at a different caliber.

Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hunt Whitetail. It is a great round and I have 2 other rifles in 30-06. Just looking for something different and fun

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The case is the same to start. Rechambering wont do you any good, you cant put a 35 slug down a 30 barrel. You can have the existing barrel rebored to 35, and rechambered to 35. There are several good shops that do that. If it were me, I would just buy a 35 Whelen barrel and have it installed. In all honesty, I would just keep the 06 and find a 35 Whelen to buy. They are on the market quite regularly, its the Whelen carbines that are VERY hard to find.

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
he is talking 7400...semi...not our PA pumps...

not sure if they made them in whelen???

one thing, look at ammo prices and availability...its really not a round to run to the store and buy...and cost wise, the cheapest ive ever seen were like 50-60$ a box...

i can load accubonds in mine WAYYYYY cheaper than that...

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
They most certainly made them in 35 Whelen. Chances are he can buy an NOS barrel. Outside Pa, they are quite easy to find. Remington green/yellow box and Federal Fusion 200 grain are $33 a box and on the shelf just about anywhere. I would advise simply buying the gun rather than converting the 06, but either way is not difficult, and the costs would be similiar.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Jes reboring will do it for $225 and that includes the return shipping. The website is 35caliber.com. I have been thinking about having one rebored to a whelen also, and this place comes about as highly recommended as I have found.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
.35 whelen, the poor man's magnum! I shoot 225 gr. bullets out of mine(reloads), both nosler bt and sierra gamekings. Afew years back I think it was Federal had them loaded with 225 gr. bearclaws.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm not sure it's worth all the expense and trouble... why don't you just use the 06' with some partitions or x-bullets..180 grains of either will penetrate just about anything you'd find in canada and if you want more just shoot 200's or 220's..don't count the ole' 06 out, IT'S just not worth your trouble, for only a slight gain in my opinion.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Not to many gunsmiths rebore anymore. To rebarrel your looking around 600 on the very low side. Would be easier to buy a 35 in 7400. If your dead set on the barrel job pm me I know a few that will do the work.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I've had Whelens, they're cool,but unless you shoot 250 grain bullets,whats the advantage over an 06? Same case. Other than a small amount of frontal area difference, a 200 grain 30 cal and a 200 grain 35 cal are the same. Maybe I'm wrong?
I still have my 06. Just dont think its worth it...

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info. Like I said earlier, this is not something that I need, just want something different.

$225 seems like a great price, I'm going to contact them and see what my options are.

Any thoughts on 338 Win Mag?

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
338 Win is awesome, but you can't do that with your 7400.
JES is a great outfit, but understand the $225 is just the rebore, there is more to it than that.
I would contact Remington about the availability of a 35 barrel. If they have one to sell, thats the easiest route.
It costs nowhere near $600 to twist off a remmy barrel and screw on a new one. Any good gunsmith can handle that job, its a chip shot.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Joe! I appreciate the info.

I was looking around for a 7400 in 35 W, not too much out there. Remington made them for 2 years in the mid 90's. I'm not in a hurry so I'm going to keep my options open.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Look for a Model 750, newer, and the Whelen was dq'd not that long ago, they are around.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
For me it's a toss up between the 06 and 35W for a favorite (I've got equal #s of both), hence I would not convert one to the other. I would just look to buy the 35. You'd have more luck looking online or out of state since PA doesn't let us use these for hunting. I know I've seen some at Kittery Trading Post in Maine, try their site.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Again, thanks for the info and advice!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts