The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys prefer a 3 or 4 blade broadhead? which is better in your opinion and why?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
4 blades. They were harder to tune out of my bow but the extra blade means a greater surface area for the cut. Shoot through tin foil and see that the 4 blade punches a hole like a square and a 3 blade punches a hole like a triangle. The area square is almost twice the size just because of the extra blade. That means a bigger wound channel given the same arrow penetration when compared to a 3 blade.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I shoot a 3-blade broadhead. I haven't had any problems with them. They do cut like a triangle.

My dad shoots a 4-blade broadhead and says they can be difficult to tune. He likes my 3-blades and is thinking of switching.

We both shoot Muzzy broadheads if you are wondering.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I shoot a 3 blade muzzy because they shoot better than the 4 blade do. I have no complaints with the wound channel either as they leave a massive wound channel in and out. I have never had difficulty finding a blood trail or the deer.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I use a 3 because they fly great on my bow..never had to try 4. Muzzys are great!

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I had used 3 blade Thunderheads all through my childhood because that was what dad bought for me. The furthest I ever had a deer go was 50 yards. It was hard for me to tune my bow for those heads.

Then 8 years ago I bought Muzzy 4 blade heads in bulk and they fly fine. Most deer dropped within 75 yards, but this last buck went 180 with a double lung. These heads were a little easier to tune than the Thunders.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I used Thunderhead 125's and then 100's mostly when I shot aluminum arrows. I killed deer with both. I tried different mechanicals after switching to carbons. I killed deer with them, but wasn't real happy with them on the steep angle shots. I then switched to Muzzy 90 4 blades, and have been shooting them ever since. They hit right where my field points do, with my old bow and new bow. I bought 6 pks. on sale a few years back, and packs of practice blades, so I'm good for years.

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
I use a 4 blade head, the slick tricks. Love 'em. Found the wound channels to be bigger

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
SpiritNugent said:
I use a 4 blade head, the slick tricks. Love 'em. Found the wound channels to be bigger
Same here.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Ive shot but 3 and 4 blade Muzzys----3 flew better out of my old Hoyt Raider Intruder but Im wondering how the 4 blade will work out of the new Alphamax---Im shooting Muzzy 3 blade 100gr and they are as accurate as field tips thus far!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honestly i have never had any luck with any fixed blade broadheads. I always get a circular flight out of my arrows, Never consistent either. I would really like to shoot fixed blades for the penetration and bone breaking capabilities.

·
Registered
21,042 Posts
Has your bow ever been tuned properly?

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Peppy said:
Has your bow ever been tuned properly?
That's the ticket... properly tuned bows. Guys will throw on a fixed blade broadhead/stationary broadhead and get erratic flight. They wonder why... they buy a pack of mechanicals to bandage the "problem"

A properly tuned bow will shoot any well known broadhead out there in the same spot as a field point. If a "tuned bow" doesn't.... find a new tuner.

·
Registered
8,130 Posts
I shoot 4-blade Muzzy 90's...they shot better out of my bow than the three blade 100's

·
Registered
115 Posts
i shoot steel force premium 4 blade they fly great i say stay with the fixed blade

·
Registered
16,275 Posts
Shippinit said:
Peppy said:
SpiritNugent said:
Same here.
Same here too. I can't see myself ever using another broadhead.
I'm stocked up for life... I love them and swear by them

I think after the bucks both of you guys got this past fall, I wouldn't think anything else would be in your quiver from now on either

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Peppy said:
SpiritNugent said:
Same here.
I LOVE my 4 blade Slick Tricks. No tuning problems to speak of.

Always wanted to use a 4 blade. Now, I think I've found the broadhead I'll use the rest of my life, and the price is right, if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts