The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Fri, Sat,& Sunday Meet up with some Hammock Hangers SE Jersey for a Frozen Butt hang. About 40 campers showed up. The weather was perfect for testing our equipment. Fri night it dropped down to 8* with about 4in of snow. Saturday night it went down to 3*. Sunday morning breakfast was a real challenge. Winter camping much more fun than camping in the heat of summer.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts
...totally sold on hammock camping..especially when the weather is cold. I have 2 ENO nest hammocks that are awesome !

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Eno has a nice product. I like my DIY gathered end hammock I made from 15$ of Joann fabrics ripstop nylon. I used my a 0* Dwn Under Quilt (Hammock Gear.com) and on top covered up with an old military down sleeping bag Also I used my Hammock Sock (Warbonnetoutdoors.com). The sock gives you about 10* of warmth. The only issue I had with the Temps was condensation and all my water froze, Luckily we had snow on the ground. We had a great time Saturday night they built a large fire and we all brought a pot luck dish or desert. The next Hammock Gathering is Apr 26 Pine Grove Furnace State Park in Pa they are expecting about 100 campers.. I think that's opening weekend for Turkey!!!

·
Registered
982 Posts
That's my area (Pine Grove Furnace State Park). Where are you staying? I looked at hammocks but didn't buy one. It would be nice to see a couple of them. I plan on being in the area that weekend also (turkey hunting).

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Michaux Hunter said:
That's my area (Pine Grove Furnace State Park). Where are you staying? I looked at hammocks but didn't buy one. It would be nice to see a couple of them. I plan on being in the area that weekend also (turkey hunting).
I'm not sure If I'll attend this one I might be going further north Tky hunting. This is a link For the Hammock Forum
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55534

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Interesting stuff . Years ago I tried the concept of hammock backpacking. All that I had was a hammock that was the size of a fist when stored . Awoke the next morning and could barely move due to the back pain . How is the modern equipment and avoiding a return of the painful episode from the 70's ?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finn Anthony Most everything has come a long way since the 70's. If you go to the link in my previous post, go to the home page and you can see how far its come. The most important part of the setup that effects your comfort is the amount of sag you have in the Hammock. The rule of thumb is 30 degrees from the horizon if that makes sense. With that much sag you can lay diagonal and have a flat lay. Also some hang with the head end slightly lower so you don't slide down to the middle of the Hammock. Hope that helps

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Thanks for the reply. It seems that there is great interest in this method of backpacking of late . Will have to check into it more thoroughly....

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I hang in a hammock when I am with the scouts when possible. My back hasn't been the best since I got hit by a tractor trailer, and the hammock is the way to go.

What I see mostly, is people who lay in them incorrectly. You do not lay in them with your head and feet pointed at the ends, you crawl in that way, then shift probably 20-25 degrees or more off line and you lay pretty flat. If you go fore to aft, you will hurt.
If you dont start with your head lower, you will wake up that way.
I have slept pretty cold with a zero degree bag. I dont like it for freezing temps, because by the time you carry the under quilt, hammock, tarp, bag and whatever else, it is just as light to carry the tent and a pad.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Varmintmist said:
I hang in a hammock when I am with the scouts when possible. My back hasn't been the best since I got hit by a tractor trailer, and the hammock is the way to go.

What I see mostly, is people who lay in them incorrectly. You do not lay in them with your head and feet pointed at the ends, you crawl in that way, then shift probably 20-25 degrees or more off line and you lay pretty flat. If you go fore to aft, you will hurt.
If you dont start with your head lower, you will wake up that way.
I have slept pretty cold with a zero degree bag. I dont like it for freezing temps, because by the time you carry the under quilt, hammock, tarp, bag and whatever else, it is just as light to carry the tent and a pad.
+1 Varmintist. The hammock is just another tool in the the tool box.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Thanks for posting about this. I am really interested in camping/backpacking this way. I am going on a camper weekend with other women in June. I was thinking maybe I could try one out then (usually I am camping with kids so it wouldn't work so well). I used to sleep in a hammock for about a year when I had a room in a house with big beams in it. It was great!

·
Registered
3,548 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Varmintmist said:
Just FYI, there is zero privacy so if you end up with a mixed group, get up early to dress or be quick
Didn't even think about that for those big group camps that were posted about! I will be "glamping" with a bunch of ladies only, three campers, and maybe a tent or two if there is overflow from the campers. I guess you sleep in your clothes?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WestPhillyFam said:
Thanks for posting about this. I am really interested in camping/backpacking this way. I am going on a camper weekend with other women in June. I was thinking maybe I could try one out then (usually I am camping with kids so it wouldn't work so well). I used to sleep in a hammock for about a year when I had a room in a house with big beams in it. It was great!
It sounds like your June camping trip will be a lot of fun. With it being in June you will need a bug net. Here is a link for simple DIY bug net. This can be made for under $25.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39983

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
WestPhillyFam said:
Varmintmist said:
Just FYI, there is zero privacy so if you end up with a mixed group, get up early to dress or be quick
Didn't even think about that for those big group camps that were posted about! I will be "glamping" with a bunch of ladies only, three campers, and maybe a tent or two if there is overflow from the campers. I guess you sleep in your clothes?
Normally a pair of shorts, but sometimes thermals or sweats. I change in the AM. Normally there is a place to wander off to change, but mostly I roll out early and take a look around so that I won't scare anyone or kill them with laughter, and just do it. Put the hammock between you and the group.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts