The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what happens if you shoot a 3 in slug out of a 3 3/4 in double barrel stevens? this happen by accident or lack of paying attention to detail.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
A 3 inch shell will fit into a 2 3/4 inch chamber with no problem. A three inch shell is not three inches long till it is fired and a 2 3/4 inch shell is not 2 3/4 inches till it is fired. When a three inch shell is fired in a 2/3/4 inch chamber gun, the crimped end cannot open all the way which becomes an obstruction. It could be dangerous with a rifled slug or even fine shot if the guns action isn't strong. I saw a guy accidentally shoot a 3 in shell in a 2/3/4 in chamber Springfield semi auto Browning clone and all that happened was the gun jammed because the shell couldn't be ejected. I wouldn't recommend doing it.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Increase breach preasure.A 2 3/4" is that size after fired.A 3" will fit in there is just 1/4" that the barrel is not machined out for when the 3" is fired.I POSITIVILY wound not do it on a regular basis.An accidental 1 time probably not hurt.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
John S said:
I saw a guy accidentally shoot a 3 in shell in a 2/3/4 in chamber Springfield semi auto Browning clone and all that happened was the gun jammed because the shell couldn't be ejected. I wouldn't recommend doing it.
I saw the exact same thing once, but it was out of a friends cheap chinese auto. He didn't realize there were a couple loose 3" shells that were thown into the misc. shell box when we were shooting hand thrown targets. I had to cut part of the shell in half to get it out.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Tom4shot,
He may be referring to the possibility that SOME older SXS have loosened up and the high pressures generated by slugs can cause multiple problems, particularly if gun has fixed full chokes.
Smage

·
Registered
485 Posts
it NEVER stops amazing me how CARELESS some firearms owners are. basic hunter safety course stresses check the firearm and only use the correct ammo for that firearm. the 20/12 shotgun accidental use is one of the most common. moderator by all means strike me dead if you want for the following comments. these events make you prime candidates for the for darwin awards. also ranking up there are those that ignore warnings in reloading manuals. if you are this careless, one has NO BUSINESS having a firearm. you folks are a menace to all around you. yes, accidents can and do happen, but these can mame and kill.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
over the hill ,
no one is talking about 20/12 yellow/red shot gun shells or even reloading for that matter. I simply ask what to look for basicly after a miscue, i did get several good answers and have checked my gun for the damage that was suggested may happen.I thank those that of you that contributed with the pertanent info to my question.Yes , i screwed up but you don't need to imply that i am an idiot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts