The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time has come to get ready to plant my plot again. Im in the middle of making it bigger. My questions are.. Last year I used throw and grow. It got as high as fifteen inches in some spots. I know that most of that mix is ryegrass. Before doing long term plot, I was wondering what would be best to plant this year. The plot is greening up now. I was going to spray it to kill the grass. what could i plant in southern Pa. say in the next two months. Could I plant a clover and chicory mix. I want to do the liming and some good fertilizing this year. So I can have my first good plot next year. The deer and turkeys used it this past fall and hopefully this fall after I plant. Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance!

ken

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
A clover/chicory mix would be good. Killing the ryegrass may be diffult, it seems to be a bit tenacious at times, plus, there may have been seeds dropped from last years ryegrass.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! Do you know a good place to buy plain seeds at? Im hoping to mix the seeds myself.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
The sponsor of this forum, Hilltop Seeds, may be able to help you out.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes, Hilltop seeds can help you out. They have all kind's of seed. whatever your looking for they have it.If not they will get it for you.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Im a newbie to this, so take that for what its worth, but I would spray down that rye grass in the next month then again in late may. Hope for some June rains and plant whatever your heart desires. I planted a turnip and brassica mix for my first plot in the fall and had a blast. I also over seeded the sod in my backyard with oats and clover and had great success high five. One night in early November, I had 11 deer in it and at least two were bucks. My turnip patch is all dirt right now. I plan on spraying it down again, adding lime, fertilizer, and planting sunflowers, beans, and peas for a summer forage. Then Ill cut all that down and do the turnips again. The backyard, i just overseeded with Durana clover, and now we have heavy rains pushing it into the soil so Im hoping for great success high five with that as well.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Shady, let us know how that Durana does.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts