The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I ran the route for the second time today. It was a beautiful morning and the birds were crowing their hearts out. I had 35!!!!! birds on the route this morning. I really think I can hit 40 on Sunday morning with the quiet conditions on Sundays. Not much background noise on Sunday mornings and I always have my best count on a Sunday. Check out the pics below. The first pic is Hal Korber's. He is the photographer and videographer for the PGC. He was up last week and took some pics and video. You can tell his pic from mine pretty easily

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That is AWESOME! All great pictures,man I wish I lived closer!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Another good question. We have baseline crowing count numbers from before the release of any wild birds. We also know that most pheasants won't move more than a mile or two from their release area. There are always exceptions to the rule but we are working with the majority of birds. We also know that mortality amoung game farm birds is very high and mortality of pheasants in general is high. Not many pheasants see two years and only a few see three years of age.

So, since we know that since no wild birds are being released in the WPRA, most birds released outside the WPRA won't move that far and those that do will be dead before too long anyway, the birds we are seeing two years after the latest wild release are mostly home grown PA pheasants. Most of the Montana and SD birds are gone and we are seeing their offspring. They are now naturalized PA residents

We also have been releasing game farm pheasants in the PPL area for 30 years. This included some hens in the fall and spring breeders. We had no resident population to speak of after all those years of stocking game farm birds. This must be from the wild birds released there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts