The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am officially off work for a week and a half…… hoping to pound on the yotes, I am 3 away from my goal for the year. Looking forward to the snow the next couple of days. Those old dogs are a different beast this time of year, so no guarantees. Hopefully I’ll have some pics in a day or 2.

Time will tell.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Flyguy, It's been my experience that it the winter the coyotes aren't as apt to charge in and donate. Most of the dumb ones are already dead, and even any pups that are left have learned a thing or 2 by now. COmpound that with the recent passing of deer season. There is still alot of food laying around out there for them. That is why I use alot more flat sets and scent posts. I also use more coyote lure on my second line, yes I still set holes with bait and urine, but I try to capitalize on their territorial and suspicion more .

On a side note, I have been pounding in hard for the last few days....Saturday was brutal!!!! Anyway, today a buddy and his boys rode along. He wants to learn how to trap so he can get his boys going. This is the first fox they have ever seen in a trap, They are still fired up about it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Christmas morning and the boys couldn't check..... so my daughter rode with me.

Christmas was very merry, some foxes and a not so jolly coyote. Looked like the coyotes ran hard last night after the snow ended. Lots of fresh tracks around sets and what not.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks spaz...

Looking at the predicted weather, I may have to hang cables sooner than I was planning. Not that cables are a bad thing.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The snow has beat my line up pretty bad. Can't get into alot of my locations due to drifting.... Lots of walking in deep snow. I spent most of yesterday walking in to check and cutting traps out.....

I've had 3 locations set for cats and have been able to keep them operational, they were the only sets I was willing to walk in to check as they all required some walking anyway. Overhanging ledge of rocks provided the shelter to keep this set working.

I still have about 12 coyote sets working.... at least until the winds come in and drift them shut later today. Tomorrow may be my last check, if they require to much attention, they are getting cut out as well.

Cables are still in the shed, I haven't set any yet due to the limited access right now, if the weather calms down by next weekend I'll see if I can hang a neck tie on a few dogs.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Spaz.

Running out of drying room. Cleaning out the freezers. I look forward to this time of year. Warm fire, cold beer, good music and always good company in the shed.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I was headed out today I was convinced this was it...last check until the weather gets more cooperative.

But.....you know how it goes. I should have pulled everything yesterday, just was set on good accessable locations. That changed last night, there are no good accessable locations now, and to add insult to injury, I am now going back out tomorrow with a metal detector to locate a few traps that I couldn't find this morning. I can only shovel so much snow in a day. So tomorrow I'll be walking in again.

It's tough going out there right now, pushing lots of snow with the truck with my fingers crossed and the gas smashed to the floor while kicking myself for not pulling when I should have.

·
Registered
937 Posts
wardog said:
It's tough going out there right now, pushing lots of snow with the truck with my fingers crossed and the gas smashed to the floor while kicking myself for not pulling when I should have.
x2

1 - 20 of 20 Posts