The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from camp.. Went up Friday morning and opened up camp in Leeper. Didnt see much in the afternoon. Shot a 6 pt buck that was chasing a doe saturday at 11am on SGL 24. Big bodied deer with stunted antlers. how did everybody else do up that way..

·
Registered
877 Posts
I'm not familiar with the areas game lands, but I live and hunt here in 2F. Kane area. And this has been the best year in a long time: Seen ALOT of deer and had many encounters. Trail cameras showed around 25 different shooter bucks in 2 separate areas. Though I did end up tagging a smaller 5pt - mainly because I found his rack very interesting (split main beam on one side), in archery season. Then yesterday I filled my doe tag less than 30 min. after entering the woods............... My wife has also had several great encounters: had a large 7pt at 30 yards in archery (my crossbow wasn't fully cocked - thus wouldn't fire for her). then he came back in on her the very next Saturday - along with another deer - but offered no shot. And we've all seen a lot of Doe and Small Bucks...... Wife and Son have this week to fill their 2 buck tags and the son's doe tag. So i'm sure that atleast one more deer will end up in the freezer yet.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Congratulations on your success in 2F. I certainly haven't experienced the same results in the ANF. Deer numbers very low there. My family has been hunting the area for over 42 years, have always killed at least one buck a year, a few time 4-5. My group of 5 haven't seen a a dozen deer in the past 2 years. That would include 8 days of deer hunting. Going to search new areas in hopes of keeping our hunting group together.

·
Registered
953 Posts
My buddies dad also took a 160 inch buck the first day of gun season. it is probably the nicest ANF buck I've seen.

·
Registered
966 Posts
It sounded like a war zone up here Saturday. Heard well over 100 shots. I have my heart set on a big split brow 9 point that I know is still back in where I hunt. As far as doe goes I like to wait til flintlock and if I don't get that 9 then I'll have that tag as well for meat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Headed up to camp for the weekend. Looks like the likely hood of new snow is promising. Going to leave my happy hunting grounds of 40 plus years in Sheffield and do some searching in the Ludlow area. Hopefully we can find some of those nests of deer, some of you have been able to find in 2F. Good luck to all headed out.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Good luck this weekend. You should have some fresh snow. Try the tionesta scenic area. It's very thick but remote if you do a little hiking. Let me know how you do.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Go just past Ludlow (toward Warren), take the first dirt road on your right. Drive up to the first gated road on your right. Some really good hunting back in there! Real thick with beach brush.

·
Registered
5,670 Posts
First day at camp we had 13 hunters with buck tags and filled out 5 buck tags. Another guy missed one at the end of the day and if I had a buck tag I could have filled it. Saw 6 bucks (4 legal) by 9 am and I was just sitting in a stand observing. One guy let a 5 point walk. So we could have ended up with 8 bucks the first day.

Saturday my cousin @johnnybigbuck and I went up in the morning to try to tag a couple does but were not able to. Rain and snow in our area and didn't hear much shooting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions all. After looking at some topo's and google earth, think we are going to head into the scenic area and hunt the head waters of the East Branch. I have fished the area for many years and had a few spring gobblers going there in the past. It looks to be like the other areas I hunt, overgrown with beech saplings. I haven't seen more than 3 deer in a day for the past two years, we'll see if we can improve on that. I'll let you guys know what we see. Good luck to all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Saturday made for a great way to end the season. We didn't kill a thing, but it was an excellent day to be in the woods. We ended up seeing 14 doe (the most we have seen in 2F in two years) one small buck, and my youngest son walked right up on a sow with a 50 pound cub. The day ended way to quickly. Hope to get up for a few days of muzzleloader season and continue the search for some woods that hold a few more deer. First shut out for our camp, and first year in 15 that I didn't kill a buck. Still would like to see adjustments made to the doe license allocation around the ANF.

·
Registered
4,890 Posts
Saturday made for a great way to end the season. We didn't kill a thing, but it was an excellent day to be in the woods. We ended up seeing 14 doe (the most we have seen in 2F in two years) one small buck, and my youngest son walked right up on a sow with a 50 pound cub. The day ended way to quickly. Hope to get up for a few days of muzzleloader season and continue the search for some woods that hold a few more deer. First shut out for our camp, and first year in 15 that I didn't kill a buck. Still would like to see adjustments made to the doe license allocation around the ANF.
Were you in the Sheffield area? If so we talked when you were leaving from eating.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I was in the Sheffield area, but never came out of the woods. We normally stay in from daylight to dark. Did see a dad and his two sons late in the day, while we were setting up our last drive. They were the only hunters I saw in the woods. Did hear 5 shots through out the day. 3 were quite distant. Not sure why the deer are not making a come back, don't believe it is because hunters are killing them in rifle season.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I personally saw 60 deer in 9 days of rifle hunting. Lots were just fleeing tails, and a few were viewed from the truck, but pretty good deer numbers in the good areas of habitat. Myself or the assorted (~15 different guys) hunters with me killed 7 of those deer. We spent a lot of time far behind closed gates, busting through new and old clearcuts and crawling up and falling down extremely steep hills. My theory is you gotta have acorns or clearcuts or both to have deer, and clearcuts and acorns far from the driveable road are awesome. I went through lots of deerless ground to find those pockets where there were herds, but when you found them it was loaded. My dad tagged this nice 8 point, ending a multiyear venison free streak. We saw quite a few nice bucks (about 5 bucks 100" or better that we didn't shoot) while trying to kill some does. The weather was kind of inconsistent, but it all worked out, and you can't control any of that anyways! Time to bring on shed season!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts