The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't see one for 2E and not sure what you're looking for, but here goes...

Cambria County

Deer (rifle) season: Out of our 9 hunters, 6 of us took buck in rifle season, two others missed close (actually very close
) shots, and the 9th did not see a legal buck.

We saw remarkably few doe during the season, except for the final Saturday, when we saw a herd of over 30 that held 3 legal buck.

Elk:
The bull elk has migrated south and was seen last week in the Cresson area, not far from the Cresson Sportsman club.

Turkey:
IMO, population decreased from last year, but still a very healthy flock.

Bald Eagles:
Only near Prince Gallitzin State Park, and only usually until the lake melts.

Coyotes:
EVERYWHERE

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BEST GEAR: Gander Mountain (Johnstown)
BEST ARCHERY SHOP: Hi Tec (Northern Cambria)
BEST SPORTSMAN CLUB / RIFLE RANGE: Patton Sportsmans (Patton)
BEST ATV'ing: Rock Run (Prince Gallitzin area)
BEST WINGS: CK Wings & Things (takeout only, get the breaded, deep fried - over 1000 varieties, Johnstown) & Park Avenue Pub (Patton)

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I'll agree with everything but the eagles. We had the pleasure of watching a pair of adults most of the year last year around the lake. The last time I saw them was the day of the Apple Cider festival; circling above the main marina area. Awesome birds.

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
My parents now live in 2E and I LOVE hunting and fishing down there EVEN ON THE SGLs, I mean the rugged strip mine terrain, then a farm, then a big woods type valley, it is PERFECT.... but that is all I am allowed to say, Dad will allow me to say no more.

Gotta respect the hunting trip host. If someone was going to give me 100 acres anywhere in this state, I would pick 2E...I mean it is all edge habitat....

I will say Dad spent 30 years hunting for bear in Potter County and got close but never got a bear..the first year he moved to 2E, got a 222lber 1/4 mile from his front door all becasue the woods funnels there unlike the big woods of Potter.

·
Registered
6,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean the rugged strip mine terrain, then a farm, then a big woods type valley, it is PERFECT.... but that is all I am allowed to say, Dad will allow me to say no more.
Awww...now you did it Rooster... I know EXACTLY where that is!

I'm fortunate enough to have hunted 2E all my life...well before anyone even knew it was 2E...the farm we normally hunt is just over 100 acres...field, woods, power line, woods, railroad tracks, woods...perfect for driving or posting...

Congrats to your dad on his bear!

·
Registered
28,493 Posts
Thanks Bates...you should of heard the phone message the day he got that bear, a 60 something guy sounding like a 12 year old kid...unfortunately I was up here hunting that day and was not there. One of my regrets of my hunting career is missing that moment, man he and I would fo went nuts over that bear, which I am sure he did.

He has seen a couple since hunting that same spot, but none he could or would shoot...all of a sudden he is picky.
i can;t seem to make it down there now, but soon I hope.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I don't know if sgl #174 is in 2e or not. But, if not it is close. In 2008 I took a Sunday drive there during the rut. I saw a 10 point and several other legal bucks on and near the sgl from my truck in the middle of the day. It got my attention, for sure. I don't have time to hunt archery and I will only hunt remote areas of public land in rifle. SGL 174 is far from being remote. So, I figured the private owners around it must manage for old bucks. I would think archery hunting on the sgl would be good. But, I would assume it gets pounded hard in rifle season.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I agree! I've hunted in 2E all my life! WE are very lucky to have a healthy population of all game! Can't wait to get back up there in the spring!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hunted 2E this year as always with success

Bear - near Little Mahoning Fly projects party of 8 bagged 2x bear. Biggest was 557lbs. Me..nothing.

Small game - Two Lick Dam area plenty of Gray and a few Fox's. Foxes were after the heavy snows this winter. Woods rabbits were abundant near the farmers corn fields and swamp areas near Penn Run. Grouse also plentyful. I I could ever geta shot off. Ringnecks, best I found was off 119 near headed towards Rochester Mills before and after the Fly Projects.

Turkey - everywhere from Clymer to Penn Run to Allens Bridge to HomerCity. Bagged a nice 26 pounder with a 9.5 inch beard near Jueanu.

Deer it was tough going saw decent buck during archery season near the Home/Clymer area not any numbers to speak of in the the herd a few onesis twosies (however you spell that) Most deer I saw was on the SGL next to Yellow Creek SP. 18 on the first day. Didn't get a shot at a buck this year. Although my hunting party of 12 shot 7 over the cousre of the first week. We shot them driving different areas of Indiana Co..Diamondville, Heilwood, Clymer areas. Late season saw a 3 Monster buck on 3 different days near Rochester Mills, I can honestly say the last buck was the biggest I've ever seen in the woods. Don't know how many points it had but it was all antlers...and lots of 'em. I ended up with a nice doe from that area. Seen a quite a few sucessful hunters with some nice harvests this year. AR is working there for sure, if you're still old school looking for the 20-30 deer a day it's not happening in my little area of paradise.

I normaly hunt by myself during the week with the expection of the first week of gun season. All my buddies need to work so if you have some time during the week send me a PM (No, I'm not rich, just have a lot of vaction time saved dedicated for hunting season)

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Ha Ha... just noticed this thread. I've lived and hunted here pretty much all my life, it's pretty sweet. Had wings from the Pub about 20 minutes ago (usually have them once a week at least).

Great place to hunt, fish, live and raise a family.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts