The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

2C Triple Trophy

3K views 19 replies 20 participants last post by  .257 
#1 ·
Not a whole lot of time to get out this season. Made the best of the time that life allowed. Finished off my triple trophy last week. By far not the biggest of any game I have taken, but still all special nonetheless! All animals taken in 2C Cambria County Public lands.
First was my 2nd PA bear on Monday November 23. Was driving bear when shots rang out. First man (my dad) missed twice. Bear broke back into drive. 2nd man missed 3 shots and it made its way into my scope. First shot was a miss. It was looking back at driver that had missed. Upon the shot it made a dead bolt charge in my direction. 20 yards out it hit a downed tree and slowed to climb over. My second shot found the mark. A cub of 81#
A little over a week later, December 2, I harvested my buck. Also came during a drive. I was lone man on one side of a hollow as 3 others were bringing up the other side. DOZENS of deer were running to the posters. At least half a dozen legal buck were running in between. A group of doe and couple spikes broke back into drivers. I was able to get this 6 point with no brow tines.
Neither animal the largest, yet still a trophy and memorable hunt with family and friends. It was a long wait till spring when gobbler season rolled around. Life and everything that comes with it kept me home for the first 2 weeks. I was finally able to get back to the mountains late Tuesday night. Hunting in the mountains has its drawbacks as fog had settled in for the better part of first 2 weeks. Wednesday was a bust. Seen 7 birds on the mountain road driving in and out. Lots of venison seen,but no birds. Thursday 12 was another beautiful day in the low lands, yet foggy on the ridges I was hunting. The morning started out promising as I got a quick response to a few yelps at daybreak. A gobbler yelled out twice and pitched into the hollow below. Half hour later, still nothing. I moved on. After a 3 mile bike ride and further 4 miles on foot I noticed fresh scratching on a tram road. The fog was still thick and getting no response I headed to a PowerLine to start my trip back to bike.
Kinda embarrassing to admit this....
While standing on PowerLine looking at my phone and checking for messages from home, I heard some peeps, purs and clucks. I finally made out a bird walking DIRECTLY TOWARDS ME. The nearest thing I could hide behind was GOD himeslf. I stood motionless in the middle of the powerline. The bird came walking in looking for the hen that was just yelling out into the foggy abyss. I was able to make out a small beard poking out from his breast. He closed the distance to 15 yards directly in front of me and slowly crossed to my left to the edge of the thicket. Instead of entering to woods, it walked along the saplings and came to a large tree directly in line with me. It peered at the large Maple as if it thought the calls were coming from it. Next step was it's fatal mistake. He actually decided to walk around to the back side of the tree and back onto powerline. That split second I was able to drop my phone into my vest pocket and lower gun from my shoulder. As he came around the tree I had so many thoughts running through my mind. Finish my first Triple Trophy or let him pass. With a 2nd tag awaiting in my pocket and my limited time passing by I squeezed the trigger on my Winchester 1300 NWTF 12 and let a load of LongBeards fly.
TRIPLE COMPLETE.

He ended with a 6" beard after a little rot and just a little more than nubs for spurs. Still a taker for me this season.
Many thanks to family, friends, God, and the PGC for the gamelands each animal came from!

See less See more
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.