The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the game commission posted that they were stocking birds in Beaver and Allegehny county on the 20th and 21st but does any one know if they actually did. Last stocking they did not even though they allocated for it. Trying to decide where to run the dog tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well. Game commission must not have stopped. 4 hours 3 dogs 1 hen. All hunters I talked to did not see a bird.

·
Registered
283 Posts
didn't get a chance to hunt 2b but hunted up north on Thursday the 21st we hunted gamelands 96 69 and 2 spots in 39 and didn't put up one bird. I wonder if anyone did any good anywhere. I was hoping to get out on Friday but had to go into work.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Rgrundz said:
Well. Game commission must not have stopped. 4 hours 3 dogs 1 hen. All hunters I talked to did not see a bird.
Rgrundz,
Were you at SGL 173? I was planning to head up there over the weekend but got shut out by family doings. Still thinking (daydreaming) about it while at work now. But if they didn't plant any more pheasants at 173 last week, I'll probably head to SGL 285 for grouse or up to 95 in Butler County instead.

'Course, there's always the smokepole too. Too many options and too few vacation days!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was at SGL 203. I plan on hitting sgl 173 tomorrow or Friday. I am almost positive they did not stock SGL 203 though. Hopefully they dropped some birds over in midland or darlington.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you get to 173 tomorrow, be sure to leave a few for my daughter and me! Friday is probably the earliest I can get there due to work and even that's a reach.

So close and yet still so far away...

·
Registered
455 Posts
Speaking of birds and Darlington, have you (or anyone else reading this) been grouse hunting at SGL 285 at all this year? Just wondering how the numbers looked compared to previous years. We usually seem to scare up a couple there, but it's tough sledding with all that mine spoil.

As my dad likes to say, "It'll make a man out of ya." Of course, my daughter LOVES to hear that.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haven't hunted 285 this year. We did put up a grouse at hillman grouse management area but didn't shoot for fear of it being a hen pheasant. We actually didn't realize it was grouse until it was outa range! It was like seeing an endangered specie!!!!! First grouse my lab has ever seen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Rgrundz said:
We did put up a grouse at hillman grouse management area but didn't shoot for fear of it being a hen pheasant. We actually didn't realize it was grouse until it was outa range! It was like seeing an endangered specie!!!!! First grouse my lab has ever seen.
Rg,
I know what you're saying - grouse are almost an endangered species here in SW PA these days. I only live about 20 min from Hillman so that's my go-to spot when I don't have time to travel elsewhere. However, I haven't flushed a grouse there in at least three years. The cover is pretty good in some areas and I find woodcock fairly regularly in spots, but no thunder chickens.

SGL 285 is about the only public land where I'll bother to look for grouse in SW PA anymore, other than heading over to the Laurel Mountains/Chestnut Ridge area (realizing the PGC doesn't consider 285 to be in SW PA, but I do). SGL 51 can be good and I know some other public land spots up on the mountain that usually have a few birds. But that's at least a 2-hour drive for me and if I'm going to go that far, I'd sooner go north to the ANF.

Anyway, good luck if you get out to 173 or 285 today. Let me know how you made out and leave us a couple of ringnecks, if you wouldn't mind.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't make it out to the SGLs today. I did make it today to the sportsmans and ran the quail around. Going to try to get the SGLs Saterday. If any one gets ou please post if any one gets into pheasant at SGL 173

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the post. I have a feeling there was not a Christmas stocking in our area like the PGC posted online. May be they all went to 285 but I doubt it. They did not stock the last two dates of the first season like they posted online for beaver or Alleghny county. There was a ton of birds in Washington though, limited out 6 times in the first season. Absolutely awsome for the dogs!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts