The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems mostly posted land? Is there any larger tracts of land that is owned by a forest company, state, co op, etc? I have been reading up on it and not finding much info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16,510 Posts
Not much public land in 2B... Some GL's in Wash. County portion, but your best bet is 2A, 2C. Vast expanses of state forest, and GL 51 in Chalk Hill is large... also Ohiopyle SP, Forbes, etc.... Mucho room to roam with little worry of seeing "Posted" along the way.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
army corp of engineers owns some ground up around new alexandria but i am not sure how much or any is in 2B. the line is right there somewhere. 2b is mostly houses and and some farms.

·
Registered
487 Posts
The only public land I'm aware of in 2B is SGL 203 in Wexford. Other than that youre going to need to go door to door and acquire permission. There are a few Co-op's in 2B.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
pumpgun said:
army corp of engineers owns some ground up around new alexandria but i am not sure how much or any is in 2B. the line is right there somewhere. 2b is mostly houses and and some farms.
This is in 2C and alittle in 2D.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Google "Allegheny Land Trust" and check out the "Whetzel Preserve". I don't think this gets hunted much due to how steep it is but its one of the few spots I know of.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Semms like public land is like gold there! I just wanna go down in late slug gun season for a Doe haha, but its difficult since im not familiar with the area.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Kyle,

Look at the cooperative farms. And if you do hunt the areas, try and find the owners house and give it a knock and if he answers let him know you're hunting and introduce yourself. I don't know if you have to but you should and it's always a nice thing to do for them so they aren't worried bout strange people on their grounds. There's lots of does down there, and not many people take advantage of the cooperative lands.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=617662&mode=2

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Be warned...many of the coops are saying no doe hunting...

The SGLs in wexford is a decent chunk of land..not sure on the deer status but most of it is pretty thick and aughta hold deer...

·
Super Moderator
4,623 Posts
teej89 said:
Kyle,

Look at the cooperative farms. And if you do hunt the areas, try and find the owners house and give it a knock and if he answers let him know you're hunting and introduce yourself. You don't have to but it's always a nice thing to do for them so they aren't worried bout strange people on their grounds. There's lots of does down there, and not many people take advantage of the cooperative lands.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=617662&mode=2
I thought with the coop properties, you had to ask the landowner first, and then he decides to give you permission?....not just walk up and say, Hey, im hunting, see ya later!

·
Super Moderator
12,829 Posts
Permission IS required on coop land and they CAN say no or only allow certain things etc....

The coop signs plainly say "ask permission before.you hunt"

I know coop farms in my area are saying no doe hunting and getting sick of people driving all over their land, hunting when and where they please, etc...it was getting out of control...some posted signs and no doe hunting has calmed things down a good bit this year...but if they keep it up it will all be posted..gotta have some respect when using someone elses land!

·
Registered
147 Posts
mauser06 said:

The SGLs in wexford is a decent chunk of land..not sure on the deer status but most of it is pretty thick and aughta hold deer...
really? that's odd cuz I feel that most of them join the coop due to the fact of does and crop damage

·
Super Moderator
4,623 Posts
teej89 said:
mauser06 said:

really? that's odd cuz I feel that most of them join the coop due to the fact of does and crop damage
I could be wrong, but I think there is restrictions on some coop-properties on which game can be hunted/trapped, which if thats the case, then they(landowner)could say no doe hunting.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think there is restrictions on some coop-properties on which game can be hunted/trapped, which if thats the case, then they(landowner)could say no doe hunting.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh yeah I see what you're saying, the PGC defines the restrictions and they are restriction but they are big game, small game, trapping, and turkey. I could see a landowner getting [censored] tho and saying no doe hunting. I feel like the coop lands are like having a bowl of snickers out at halloween saying take one. Yeah right. It's a modest offer but people take advantage and abuse.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Several of theses coops listed around my area on the maps on the PGC website. I've driven around the area looking for them but can never find any of the signs indicating which properties they are. And I've yet to find a list of participants to ask for permission.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yeah man it's real hard to find em sometimes, I was shown the houses of the owners of the properties I hunted, I'm not sure how he found them. Good luck!

Maybe contact the game warden?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I hunt on and near one in Washington county with permission. it was a scary sight 12 cars on opening day along one 500 yrd sectioned of road alone. It was an absolute safety hazard. I talked to the landowner and he had no idea that many people where on his land. Needless to say most will likely be posted next year. Most of the folks I talked to never bothered to ask permission. It was hunted way heavier than the local game lands. I my opinion that many hunters on small parcel is very dangerous - some of the "hunters" were unsavory characters - the landowner was quite upset and felt taken advantage of - real shame

·
Registered
186 Posts
"You don't have to but it's always a nice thing to do". This is actually incorrect...on coop lands you ALWAYS HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION FIRST. If you look at the game commission coop rules it says that you always have to ask permission. Many people don't and this upsets the landowners so PLEASE always ask permission first. I know several coop landowners that took their land out of the program because people weren't asking permission first.
These programs are a great thing for hunters looking for access so PLEASE respect the landowners and ask permission first. I am not originally from the area so I almost exclusively hunt coop lands but I got the map and went around and knocked on doors to ask permission. I also ask permission every year on the same properties just to make sure it is still ok for me to hunt. Far too often I have seen people simply going onto these properties without asking permission and I have seen several landowners get upset about how everyone thinks the land is like a gameland when the coop signs go up.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
dra710 said:
I hunt on and near one in Washington county with permission. it was a scary sight 12 cars on opening day along one 500 yrd sectioned of road alone. It was an absolute safety hazard. I talked to the landowner and he had no idea that many people where on his land. Needless to say most will likely be posted next year. Most of the folks I talked to never bothered to ask permission. It was hunted way heavier than the local game lands. I my opinion that many hunters on small parcel is very dangerous - some of the "hunters" were unsavory characters - the landowner was quite upset and felt taken advantage of - real shame
This scenario is a frequent occurrence elsewhere in the fringe areas of 2B and certainly one which has cost me hunting privileges to a number of properties in my area. Liberal seasons and unlimited doe tags attract lots of extra hunters to 2B and unfortunately, with extra hunters come extra idiots.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts